Work outs for when you're sore.

Options
In the past few weeks I started to do some strength training, but it leaves me sore for 2 sometimes 3 days after. What kind of work outs can I safely do on my sore days?

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on my days between lifting. I found that once I warmed up and got going on a walk/run/cycle that the soreness went away.

Also make sure you have a good stretch after your lifting - I found I really noticed the difference in soreness if I forget to stretch
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    soreness is a normal thing and not an impediment to your next workout. follow whatever plan your routine has and just warm up for 5-10 mins first if you're sore that day.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps me the most, followed by lots of stretching. It can be a little tough at the beginning, but once you're warmed up you should be ok.

But if you're so sore you can hardly walk or lift your arms, there's nothing wrong with taking a rest day or two!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, walking helps a lot when I am sore.
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You might be slowing the recovery process if you're not taking in the right nutrients to build/repair muscle tissue after training. Just my $.02 - good luck!
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    I have the same problem, but agreed with all the other comments, get a nice warm up and stretch!! Don't let

I have found using a foam roller for 5-10 minutes after every workout incredibly helpful with sore muscles
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Depends on how sore I am. If I'm hurting really badly (like getting up from a chair is so much of a struggle that I groan like a 90 year old) then I'll skip strength, just do a good cardio workout and stretch REALLY well and use the foam roller.

If I'm a little sore, I'll probably go ahead with strength but watch my form. if I'm sore enough that form is failing, I won't continue. Not worth pushing yourself to the point of injury.

Hydration is key so make sure you're drinking extra fluids. Always make sure you get a good stretch after working out. And maybe get a bit more protein in your diet to help with recovery.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    soreness is a normal thing and not an impediment to your next workout. follow whatever plan your routine has and just warm up for 5-10 mins first if you're sore that day.

THIS ... once I am done with the warm up I feel a lot better ... If i dont feel better after 10 minutes I just stick to cardio for the day

50540473.png
  • sschneider1202
    Options
    I take a boxing class 3 days a week. The day after boxing I'm super hungry but not sore yet. I make sure to eat protein and drink lots of water. The next day (2 days after boxing) is when I get sore. I just continue to drink water and then take boxing that night. I've found the best thing for my sore muscles is another boxing class.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i get sore often.. but it goes away after I warm up and do a little stretch. Make sure you stretch after you work out too.. will help alleviate some of it too. (I'm really bad about stretching after lifting.. but always do after cardio. lol I half *kitten* it after lifting.. bad me)
  • cloou
    cloou Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just came here to say I love the above users picture right now, and it sums me up to a tee!!