Help with Food journal?(keto)

Options
So I've been trying to do a keto diet. Can someone please look at my journal and tell me if it looks alright? As of this morning 12/11/13 I am only showing trace levels of ketones. Am I doing something wrong or is it just to early? I'm alternating between weight lifting one day and jogging the next. Thanks for the help!

BTW: macros set to Fat-75% Protein- 15% Carbs- 10%

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For as active as you are, why such low calories? I am 10 years older than you are with similar stats eating 1000 calories more and I have a desk job. I would suggest upping your calories to fuel your workouts.. possibly add some oils to your meats or maybe some peanut butter.
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    For as active as you are, why such low calories? I am 10 years older than you are with similar stats eating 1000 calories more and I have a desk job. I would suggest upping your calories to fuel your workouts.. possibly add some oils to your meats or maybe some peanut butter.

Thanks for the reply. And im not sure why my cals are so low, I haven't really been focusing on those placing most of the emphasis on fat, protein and carbs. What do you mean add oils to my meat? Do you mean I should cook it in oil? Because I've been using tons of butter for everything I cook. I've heard coconut oil is really good for the keto diet. Should I switch to using it?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thanks for the reply. And im not sure why my cals are so low, I haven't really been focusing on those placing most of the emphasis on fat, protein and carbs. What do you mean add oils to my meat? Do you mean I should cook it in oil? Because I've been using tons of butter for everything I cook. I've heard coconut oil is really good for the keto diet. Should I switch to using it?

Personally, I would use olive oil which will make calories add up. And 1500 calories, isn't a lot of calories for an active man. In fact, most women I know are eating 1700-2100 calories. Also, ideally, you want to hit .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. At 185 lbs, you are probably in the 150-160 lbs of lbm range. Upping protein another 20-40g's will help with muscle retention since you are already lean.

Also, if you click on groups, there is a keto/low carb group. You might want to check it out for more resources.
  • nickdavis843
    Options

Personally, I would use olive oil which will make calories add up. And 1500 calories, isn't a lot of calories for an active man. In fact, most women I know are eating 1700-2100 calories. Also, ideally, you want to hit .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. At 185 lbs, you are probably in the 150-160 lbs of lbm range. Upping protein another 20-40g's will help with muscle retention since you are already lean.

Also, if you click on groups, there is a keto/low carb group. You might want to check it out for more resources.

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if taking a protein shake daily would bump me out of keto?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if taking a protein shake daily would bump me out of keto?

personally I don't as i don't do keto. But I am sure there are some low carb protein shakes out there.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Depends on the shake. I had the same problem with trying to add more protein in and stay in Keto. Sooooo many of them have too many carbs. Still looking for a good brand to try. (I'm Paleo too, which makes it even more difficult haha)
  • nickdavis843
    Options

Depends on the shake. I had the same problem with trying to add more protein in and stay in Keto. Sooooo many of them have too many carbs. Still looking for a good brand to try. (I'm Paleo too, which makes it even more difficult haha)

Yeah...I've been told by friends they make low carb powders but I've yet to find one at my local grocery store and Walmart. Guess I need to make a trip to GNC.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So I've been trying to do a keto diet. Can someone please look at my journal and tell me if it looks alright? As of this morning 12/11/13 I am only showing trace levels of ketones. Am I doing something wrong or is it just to early? I'm alternating between weight lifting one day and jogging the next. Thanks for the help!

If you want to really get into the fat burning zone your gonna have to drop the vodka. When consuming alcohol, the body stops burning fat which can and eventually will be a hindrance.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

You're carbs and protein look good but you do need more fat which will give you some needed calories. For keto you want more fat than protein. Butter and coconut oil are fantastic for cooking with and olive oil is great for salads. Heavy cream and sour cream are great ways to add more fat as well.

Once you get and stay in ketosis for a bit then go ahead and try the protein shake. What bumps you out of ketosis in the beginning a lot of times seems to be fine later on. You'll have to try it and see what happens.
  • psuLemon
    Options

If you want to really get into the fat burning zone your gonna have to drop the vodka. When consuming alcohol, the body stops burning fat which can and eventually will be a hindrance.

Can you provide some peer reviewed studies to back this claim? Fat burning is done with a calorie deficit. Many members drink several times a week and still are successful. While I would dropping alcohol for better food choices would be beneficial, I would disagree drinking will prevent weight loss.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

For your health please continue cooking in butter, animal fats or coconut oil. Olive oil should not be heated and for me, I don't like to eat it in large amounts.

I agree that you should be eating more. I eat around 1600 plus exercise calories and I am a woman (that's obvious I hope!)

Different levels of protein work for different people. Personally, I do not adhere to the 1g per pound of lean body mass, but depending on what you do, maybe. It's more important for my health that I have lots of FAT. You could put your protein up 5% and lower carbs or fat 5%.

Having a small amount of ketones is still a good thing; better than none. Sometimes to first get into ketosis, you might want 5% carbs, but I doubt that you need to do that. I eat around 5% carbs most days but I have my settings at 10% for a little wiggle room.

I second the advice to give up vodka or just have it as a special, very rare treat. I'm not going to argue about what it does in the body but when I have it, even just a few ounces (mixed with water or club soda only) it does stop ketosis, makes me very sick, and I'm also stimulated to crave high carb foods for a day or two. Alcohol does nothing to help my health and definitely does much to damage it.

Edit: I don't support the use of protein shakes though I do use a scoop of grass fed whey in my child's smoothies. Ideally, whole natural foods are best imo. But then I'm ketogenic Paleo.... :happy:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Can you provide some peer reviewed studies to back this claim? Fat burning is done with a calorie deficit. Many members drink several times a week and still are successful. While I would dropping alcohol for better food choices would be beneficial, I would disagree drinking will prevent weight loss.

Notice I said FAT loss, not weight loss.

It does the body no good if you are trying to change your body over from being a sugar burner to a fat burner if you going to keep feeding it sugar, which is what alcohol turns to.

With a low carb plan such as a keto plan, alcohol, sugar and then fat is burned.............if you keep feeding the body alcohol and sugar, the fat never gets burned, which is what derails a lot of LOW CARBERS.

Has nothing to do with the myth of calories in / calories out.
  • nickdavis843
    Options

It does the body no good if you are trying to change your body over from being a sugar burner to a fat burner if you going to keep feeding it sugar, which is what alcohol turns to.

With a low carb plan such as a keto plan, alcohol, sugar and then fat is burned.............if you keep feeding the body alcohol and sugar, the fat never gets burned, which is what derails a lot of LOW CARBERS.

I've heard this argument on both sides pros and cons. But my dad did atkins with much success drinking 4-5 whisky drinks every night. Not arguing that its not bad for your health but it did not keep him from ketosis. Think i'll keep my after work/work out cocktails for the time being.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I guess you miss the point where I said fat burning is done with a deficit. Alcohol does NOT effect fat loss. So again, I would request if you can provide peer reviewed studies.

And you really try to dispute the caloires in vs out?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

The laws of thermodynamics say hi.