Newbie with PCOS. HELP!!!

Options
Hey everyone! My name is Kristy and I have PCOS and have been having a HUGE problem losing weight so any pointers would be MUCH appreciated!!! I am a Marine wife living in Georgia and I love to cook with new recipes :-)

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    wormy_waving.gif
    Welcome to MFP, it is a great tool to help you.
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! We are only a couple hours from each other. I live in south west Ga. This site is very useful and has lots of groups you can join, including PCOS support groups! Everybody here is very motivational and helpful and supportive!

P.S. I LOVE the Paula Deen store!
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    Options
    Hey lady!

Lots of PCOS'ers around here. What's seem to work good for me is staying away from a lot of carbs, eating less sugary things, and exercising. Drinking lots of water helps too. You can add me as a friend if you want. :)
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    No easy fixes or solutions! Women with PCOS must eat 3X better and workout 3X harder than anyone else!! Believe me, it sucks. You can be super healthy and fit, but it will always be a battle. You will do everything right...and the scale will not move (or barely move).

The good news is that you'll be living a healthier lifestyle than most. And this will benefit you in many, many ways. Best of luck and "keep fighting."
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I also have pcos, but it doesn't affect my weight or weightloss. I deal w/ occasional cycsts & irregular cycles. Found that drinking a lot of water helps the cyst issue. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! :)
  • butilovetacos
    butilovetacos Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have a PCOS too, it is a tricky syndrome to have but I have learned that there are many things that cause us PCOSers to gain and lose weight. My best advice is watch your carbs (I try to only take the necessities) and to double your exercise. Most people work out for 30-45 minutes but PCOSers need at least 60-75 minutes. Good luck and let me know if there is anything you need.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    diagnosed w/PCOS years ago. I'm losing, slowly, but it is possible. add me if you want :flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hey lady!

Lots of PCOS'ers around here. What's seem to work good for me is staying away from a lot of carbs, eating less sugary things, and exercising. Drinking lots of water helps too. You can add me as a friend if you want. :)

^ This.

I have PCOS as well, I count carbs and calories. What personally works for me is not ever eating over 20 carbs/meal, never over 20g sugar/day and staying within 1200-1400 calories. I'm not saying these should be your numbers, its just an example. :bigsmile:

Another thing to keep in mind is that PCOS = PATIENCE. Those pounds will sadly not melt off. They will slowly creep away. But if you just don't stress, celebrate every half pound and realize that regardless of whether it comes off in 6 months, or a year, or two years, it will eventually be OFF if you keep plugging away at it day by day! So best of luck to you, you can add me as a friend as well, I've done a lot of research regarding PCOS, insulin resistance and carbs/sugar and I'm happy to offer all the non-expert advice I can! :drinker:
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Yet another in the PCOS boat. Has your doctor done a metabolic profile on you? Has he/she discussed the possibility of medication? Ask whether or not you're a candidate for Metformin. It's a glucose management drug given for insulin resistance -- a common symptom of PCOS. Getting control of your blood sugar will help you lose weight. You'll probably have to be on it for the rest of your life. But it's really inexpensive. (I got a 3 month supply for $12.) And, once you get over the side effects of the first week or so, most people don't have any problems with it.
  • jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for 6 years and the best thing I have found to trying to keep carb to a minimum. I am doing low carb now and I have finally gotten over the hump that I was stuck at for months. Good luck!
  • moespaws16
    moespaws16 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    hi there! i also have pcos, was diagnosed about 10 years ago. someone here said its a tricky syndrome and that is exactly how i think about it. its very confusing and problematic with so many ups and downs. buuuuutt......we're all here now and trying our best to get our bodies under control which is awesome.

~candace
  • snoyes
    Options
    I'm new and have PCOS as well. Since my diagnosis in '07 I started on the Metformin, Spironolactone and a progesterone only birth control pill. For the first time ever I started losing weight when I dieted and exercised. As of the end of last year I had lost about 60 lbs. I was going to the gym almost every day and working really hard. I had a death in the family last December and have since gained about 35 back due to my tendency towards emotional eating. I have lit a fire in myself to get back on track so I came to this site a few weeks ago. Since then I've lost 6 lbs. I don't know if I could have done this without my meds because I tried for years and nothing. If you're in the Bay Area they have a PCOS clinic affiliated with UCSF that knows what they're doing.

I try to eat organic foods because I've read that the hormones and what not in the non-organic foods can wreak havoc on your system, especially if you have PCOS since we're battling with our hormones already. My rule is when I read a label, if the ingredients aren't something that I can find in nature then I don't buy it. I have my weak days too but overall it really helps me.

Hang in there! It's a struggle but you can do it!