Why am I always "mentally" hungry?

Options
This is my biggest downfall. I work at a desk job and am always mentally hungry. I feel like I need to snacking throughout the day, but the calories add up so fast. Does anyone else feel like this and/or overcome this?

Replies

• manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk as well... For me I pre plan all my snacks and meals. I also have a time set every 2-3 hours I eat. If its not with in that window I just put a piece of gum in my mouth or fill up my water cup that I have with me ALLLL the time... I shoot to drink at least a gallon a day. Chris Powell has a 10 gulp rule, I apply that and it really has been working for me. I am usually to full of water to fill hungry until its really time for me to eat.

Also try low calorie snacks - Fresh fruit

A handful of pecans, almonds and walnut mix

String cheese with turkey slices

8 oz of nonfat greek yogurt with either nuts or low fat granola sprinkled on top!
  • kmj_14
    Options
    I sometimes get tired of water, so I will make green tea with lemon to change things up. That helps me feel fuller with out adding calories.

Another thing I've found is the more I eat whole foods for all meals – veggies, lean meat, fish, eggs, fruits – and avoid breads, artificial sugars, and large amounts of dairy, the fuller I feel. I don't have as many cravings in between meals. It allows me to keep my blood sugar at a steady level. Those bags of 100 calorie chips just cause a spike and a drop not long after.

I hope this helps!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest downfall. I work at a desk job and am always mentally hungry. I feel like I need to snacking throughout the day, but the calories add up so fast. Does anyone else feel like this and/or overcome this?

Well, going by your other post of looking for low calorie foods... and, surprise, your diary is closed, I would guess that you are likely undereating and avoiding fat. Healthy fats (especially the natural saturated fats that we have been told are "bad") are necessary for health and one of many symptoms of not getting enough is having a constant need to eat (and cravings, bingeing, depression and anxiety...). If you start eating nutrient dense foods (look at my open diary and you will see what I am talking about) you will stop being constantly hungry. Your body wants NUTRIENTS. The brain IS a part of the body and they function together, not independently from each other. So I overcame binge eating disorder et al by resolving malnutrition which allowed my brain to function properly.

I'm confined to a desk all day too. I don't eat in my office; no need to because I'm not hungry. I eat usually two meals per day and all I have at work is tea, usually 1 cup in each half of the day.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? You might actually be hungry even if you're filling up on low calorie foods. If you're eating enough and still feel the need to eat all of the time lowering your carbs and increasing your fat and protein should help.

For myself, I have to eat low carb, high fat diet in order to have a normal appetite. It's not for everyone but a lot of people who have problems with hunger and overeating respond well to the diet.

LCHF
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I snack pretty much all day long. I don't fight it. I get exercise so there's room in my calories for it.
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with manique45.
    Tootsie Pop's kept me from munching on road trips. Yes, it's sugar but only 60 calories and they take a long time to eat. A dietitian/nutritionist told me about them years ago. It beats hundreds of calories in chips, etc.