My Fitness Pal recommended

Options
I met last week with the Bariatric team at our local hospital. I met with the doc and then nurse one day. The nutritionist another time and yesterday the exercise physiologist. Every single one of them recommended MFP as one of the best tools there is. I started using it the other day and it is a great way to keep myself as honest as possible. Even when I have to eat more because my blood sugars drop (keep adjusting insulin) it helps me to make wise choices to circumvent the lows. Rather than cookies I take a drink of juice or sugar tablets and then eat some protein and a good carb.

I have lost 3.5 lbs since last Monday (2nd) but more importantly at the moment my Novolog 70/30 is down from 55 units in the morning and 35units at supper to 35units in the morning and 16units at supper. That's a 40% reduction :happy:

They also told me that the way to make MFP work better is to make friends.

So if anyone is willing.

I am a 54 yr. old female married to the world's most awesome guy for almost 33 years.
I am on SSDI for a variety of illnesses including the diabetes and fibromyalgia.
I live in rural SW PA and have a dog who has yet to realize he is a dog.

And just happy to be here.... Peace and Blessings!

Replies

• AprilLizbethWire
    AprilLizbethWire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! It's my favorite tool as well! My mom is about your age with diabetes. You actually remind me of her quite a bit - except I wish she would make her own health more of a priority like you seem to be doing. I hope you're able to reach your goals!
  • retmilwife
    Options
    Thank you!

I do know what has spurred me along was I was my mom's caregiver the last couple years of her life. She lost her sight (restored twice) lost her left leg below the knee and was on dialysis due to kidney failure for two years.

When I saw I could be headed down the same road I knew I had to do something but it still took me almost 2 years.

Everyone is on a different path and we all, I think, attempt what we need to do when we are ready.

Keep being the example you are and she will one day pick up on that from you.

:smile:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This is a great tool and lots of support. There is a thread of ladies over 50. You should check us out as there is alot of support and shared stories. I am 56 and married 20 years. Have between the two of us 7 children and 27 grand children and one great grandson. I had the lap band done Nov 2012 and to date have lost 134 pounds. I could not of done it without MFP. It helps me keep track of my calories and when I have reached my limit I am done for the day. You can friend me if you want. Good Luck.
  • Corpsebride81
    Corpsebride81 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I'm on everyday and normally comment on everyone's post it's nice to be encouraged :D x
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    I'm 53 and have been committed to MFP since the middle of April and I have lost 40 pounds ,, I would like to lose about another 15-20 lbs. I am a teacher, and I have two teenage daughter ages 15 and 17. I helped care for my mom (she had Alzheimer's ) she passed away February 2011. My dad comes over a few nights a week for dinner, the other nights he is at my sisters. I really log on each day and I try to exercise every day. I am in the group "women of a certain age" and have made some great friends that are very supportive. If you would like to friend me, please feel welcome. I live in the suburbs of Chicago.