Has this happened to anyone else...

Options
Or is it just me?

I am an admitted carboholic. But since starting here I've cut my carb intake a great deal. It's a good thing too because I was close to diabetes...

But last night I decided to break the rule. My fiance and I went out to celebrate some things and went to Bugaboo Creek. It was the first time I had ever been there. The food tasted delicious! We ordered one of those onion things and I went nuts and ate half of it! I also ate most of the bread they give you while you wait. By the time my meal arrived I was full of course. So I ODed on Carbs and fried food. OMG it tasted great! These are things I normally would have eaten on a regular basis a few months ago. But not any more.

Well I guess I won't be eating like that ever again either. Before we even made it out of the restaurant I was feeling the effects. Headache, dizziness, tingling all over. I barely made it home without getting sick all over my truck. I was so weak and dizzy when I made it home I could barely stand. My vision blurred. I was severely nauseous. All of my joints hurt. My head was killing me. My face felt numb. OMG I felt so gross! I was curled in a ball with an ice pack on my head (I'm allergic to most headache meds) with the tissues right next to me and I was hugging a puke bucket.

So I guess my body has decided fried food and excess carbs are bad. No more eating like that for me again.

Has anything similar ever happened to anyone else or am I just a freak?

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I've never been anywhere NEAR that bad, but yes. It's happened to me. Funny how our bodies tell us how bad that stuff is, huh? But I bet a lot of that was fat ... just a guess.

Feel better! :smile:
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My body deffinately pays me back for my bad choices! I had a bad Halloween weekend (a party with lots of drinking and delicious but bad food, and a lot of chocolate bars and bad food the following day too.). Monday I had the worst "stomach rot" feeling for most of the day. You are not alone! Makes me rethink my choices for a long time, and it made me get back on the elliptical too!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    This is quite common, although you seem to have had a severe episode. Many people feel sick when eating fried, greasy food after they haven't for a while. Same with beef. I gave that up years ago. Now if I take a bite or two of my boyfriend's steak I pay for it later. Yes, just a bite! It is hard for my body to process so I get major tummy pains. Your body is happy with your change. Keep up the great work!
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    I had something similar happen last weekend - I've been cutting back on sugar and have basically completely cut out fast food but last Saturday had a fast food burger and fries then came home and had a big piece of left over birthday cake (triple chocolate) and spend all of Saturday night with a pounding headache and sick to my stomach. I guess my body just can't handle it anymore - kind of amazes me I used to eat like that ALL the time.
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I guess my body finally decided the way i used to eat is no longer acceptable.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    OOOHHH YEAH!!! Been there MANY times! If I eat something that's horrible for me, both my Colitis and Fibromyalgia flare up and I'm out sick for days! There's the immediate nausea followed by days of feeling like I have the flu.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yep. Sure have. Not quite to that extreme, but when I've been dieting & exercising on a regular basis, I have found that my body reacts differently to certain foods. Interesting how that happens. I discovered something about grapefruit that is rather new to me, it'd be TMI to post here, but it's good to know, my body seems to appreciate it! Good luck on your future food choices!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I guess my body finally decided the way i used to eat is no longer acceptable.

Funny how we are so used to eating crappy food we think it is fine for our bodies. Then we change the way we eat. Our friends and family kinda make fun of us for 'going over the deep end'. But when we go BACK to that nasty, salty, high in saturated fats foods that are loaded with unhealthy carbs our bodies SCREAM at us.................NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :noway: Please please don't do that to me again!!!

I lost 36, gained back 5 during a few horrible months, and had the AHA moment yet again when I came to my food diary (which I religiously documented in all the foods even bad that I ate) I noted my calories for each day were at or a bit above the recc daily for me, but the foods I ate were high in white carbs, bad fat and sodium. I look like a pillow again with only 4 pounds!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I definitely get cold sweats/clammy and the green-apple splatters :sick: :embarassed: ... recently I cut added sugars and I noticed the first two day I had a migraine. not looking forward to the day I eat sugars again.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to scare you but you should go see a doctor. I doubt it is anything more than a isolated reaction to such a drastic change in eating habits but you may want to take a test for diabetes.
  • VCStarr
    Options
    I don't mean to scare you but you should go see a doctor. I doubt it is anything more than a isolated reaction to such a drastic change in eating habits but you may want to take a test for diabetes.

Do you really think so?
  • VCStarr
    Options
    So how has everyone recovered from these times?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same thing. I to have had icky feelings after eating something not so healthy but not even close to this extreme. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and what you described sounds more like an insulin/sugar reaction to me than just a reaction to the food. I hope I'm wrong but I'd rather you be safe than sorry and get it checked out.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Been there! The other night my friends and I went out to eat...actually we went out for drinks and dessert. We had some healthy snacks at my friend's house first, then went out and had one drink. We shared an appetizer and two desserts...I was up all night feeling soooo sick! And I was annoyed! So can I never indulge in anything again? :grumble:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same thing. I to have had icky feelings after eating something not so healthy but not even close to this extreme. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and what you described sounds more like an insulin/sugar reaction to me than just a reaction to the food. I hope I'm wrong but I'd rather you be safe than sorry and get it checked out.

Val-- I'm in with these two. That sounds ooky. I'd get checked PDQ.