so ladies, question for you!

Workout question for the girls - I go to Zumba twice a week, which is AWESOME because I love to dance! but I really want some good workouts for the days in between. Any suggestions? I live in an apartment, and we have a gym, so I can go there. What are some of your favorite routines?

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Replies

• ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    I would do some strength during the week, if you have a gym that you can use then I would take advantage of that! I run 3x a week and I do strength training 3x a week.

I love Zumba btw:) I have Zumba for my 360 and love it! You can also try some zumba videos as well?
  • I recommend strength training as well
  • Treadmill and strength training!
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 556 Member
    Strength Training!! I lift weights 4x a week and run 3x a week. It's great! and a good combo of strength and cardio.
    Make sure you actually lift weights that challenge you and do some reading prior to starting a program
  • Thanks everyone! I will check out the equipment at the gym and do some research on some good strength training programs! :smile:
  • atcross
    atcross Posts: 26 Member
    Does your gym have a rowing machine? Rowing seems really efficient for burning calories fast w/o feeling like you're about to die. I run (C25K) twice a week and row and strength train three times a week. Per my husband who is a powerlifter and fitness freak: lift as much as you can manage for 2 sets of 8 reps (the last few reps should be really hard), and when that seems easier do same weight for 2x10, then 2x12, then increase weight and start over again. I like lifting heavier for fewer reps because it saves time! (Plus it's supposed to be good for you.)
  • Cairine63
    Cairine63 Posts: 40 Member
    Squats, lunges, shoulder press, rows, core stuff, bench press and push ups should get you going in the gym!
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    The New Rules Of Lifting for Women has some good routines that don't require much more than basic equipment and really clear advice on how to get started, plus great nutrition section. Good luck getting your routine down!
  • Insanity-the first one-lost ton of weight and got killer muscles
  • I personally love jumping rope, it's one of the great cardio ever! It burns lots of calories, , it works your upper body and lower body. You can do it at your gym and appartement. You can jump 2-3times a week for 15-30minutes.
    You can also run on treadmill, it's great, can do it 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes.
    You can also do strength training, during the days you don't have zumba.

The ideal is to mix strength training and cardio, for the best results. Since you do zumba, you can run/jump rope 1-3 times a week, plus lifting weights 2-3 times.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    pick up heavy things and put them back down! Repeat!
  • so sounds like doing floor/mat work, and weight lifting is the general recommendation :) which is great, because I can do that even if there are people on the machines! :D
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    You can also do yoga. It's a great balance to all cardio and strength. The increased balance and flexibility will help with all other exercise!
  • cealejandro
    cealejandro Posts: 39 Member
    Bootcamp type circuit, resistance or weight training and yoga. Whatever exercise you do except for yoga, you need to do high intensity intermittent or burst type training. The steady state cardio is a waste of time according to new research out.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    I'd recommend strength training or maybe T25 or something similar?
  • MeredithDeVoe
    MeredithDeVoe Posts: 31 Member
    I'm in love with Yogea Artflow Yoga routines. They are on YouTube. Since I've only been working out a few months, I sweat and tremble considerably holding the poses. No equipment needed, just an area, which works well for me.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Free weights. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good program to look into if you're just starting out.
  • I do Pilates at home which I really enjoy for those days I can't face the gym.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Free weights. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good program to look into if you're just starting out.

I completely agree!