Parents. How many presents?

BusyRaeNOTBusty
BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
My husband and I were just discussing this.

Our kids are getting:

1 santa present in the $30-$80 range.
2 toys from mom & dad $10-$15 each.
Christmas jammies
Christmas ornament
And some clothes that I putting "From grandpa" on because my father gives me money and tells me to buy them stuff.

They might get something from the other grandma, and technically my siblings rotate and buy gifts for one each year, but my brother hasn't really played in a few years (even though we get him stuff when it's his turn) and he has us this year. Next year I might call him out on it.

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    My kid is a cat, but I still got him some toys for Christmas. :p I know he is a cat and doesn't care about the holiday, but I was having fun at PetsMart
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Something they want
    Something they need
    Something to wear
    Something to read
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    We are doing about $120/kid this year, which has worked out to 7 gifts each. We'll also add stockings to that, but that's mostly just candies, little trinkets and stuff. We have 5 kids so we don't buy them toys or gifts throughout the year (the whole fairness argument) so Christmas and birthdays is it. They also don't buy for one another, so what we give them is it in our house. My 3 step kids will then also get stuff from their mom and her partner and all 5 kids will get stuff from grandparents. It's a zoo here.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Something they want
    Something they need
    Something to wear
    Something to read

Somewhere to go
    Something to eat
    Something to share
    Something to do

And a story to tell
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    I just like to wrap up presents I gave them the year before....I keep the boxes so it's like they got a new one.

That and the occasional time I find a stray animal and I throw a bow on it and call it the new family pet.
  • Two Santa gifts
    One gift from each family member
    One gift they pick to give to toys for tots
    3 small $1-5 gift in stocking
    1 large gift to share
    3 outfits
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    We are getting bikes for both our girls this year because we are living in a suburban setting for the first time. We are at a bit of a loss though as to the rest because that's all they asked for. It may be time for some more advanced books for our oldest and maybe more stuffed animals for our youngest. We'll hit the post season sales to load up on clothes. I'm honestly just grateful to be where we are and I think they are too.
  • My kid is a cat, but I still got him some toys for Christmas. :p I know he is a cat and doesn't care about the holiday, but I was having fun at PetsMart

Mine is a dog and he's going to get lots of toys and treats. :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    My kids are older so Santa no longer visits. I usually get them 3-4 gifts each then they also have gifts from grandparents, aunts and uncles. So yeah they get tons of gifts!
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 134 Member
    That is what we are doing. 1 big toy from Santa, 2 toys from Mom & Dad, 1 present from Grandma, some jammies and slippers, a few stocking stuffers (ie..1 candy, bubble bath, etc..) and MaMaw & Papa sent money and we bought clothes and boots with it.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    my kids are getting ..... COAL FROM ME CUZ THATS WHAT I GOT AS A KID AND IT WAS AWSOME(for real it was awsome because we where WARM then)...

how ever their dad had a fancy box on the wall that made it warm as a kid so he's getting them about $250 each of christmas gifts(clothes and toys)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    I'm getting my son an under the car light kit for a couple hundred bucks, lol. He is acing all courses at college and is doing really well. He deserves it!

:bigsmile: :drinker: :happy:
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    We have all teenagers, so Santa is not really believed in no matter how hard I try to convince them that he does exist. The older boys are getting one big gift and some stocking stuffers, not sure on the 13 yo yet. He loves to read and has only requested a few small items.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    One
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I got one present for each of them, and one to share, and small stuff to fill the stocking (including a book or small book set for each of them). I keep it at $100 or less per kid.

Oh, also my husband makes little toys and repairs broken toys and says the elves did it.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    nada...i'm all about the tough love. Presents not required.
  • My kid is a cat, but I still got him some toys for Christmas. :p I know he is a cat and doesn't care about the holiday, but I was having fun at PetsMart

My kids are cats and dogs too. :)

The cats get nip (case everyone should get high at least once a year).
    The dogs get butcher smoked bones and new tennis balls.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Something they want
    Something they need
    Something to wear
    Something to read

Somewhere to go
    Something to eat
    Something to share
    Something to do

And a story to tell

Love this!
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    My younger (12) son will get at least 1 from me, 1 from his mom, and 1 from his grandma. My older boy (14) ****ed up big time this year. He is getting coal, literally, from each of us. Tough love. It is killing me to be honest. I will probably cry when I see his face. I bought him a really nice watch a couple of months ago for Christmas, but he isn't getting it till his birthday in May.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    My kids are all teenagers. They get a budget of $300 each. My son usually chooses 1 thing that comes to that amount. My daughters give me a list and I fill in to get to their limit. I want them to get things they want and need, not just stuff. My parents give them gifts too as well as my brother.

Christmas is a big deal in our house as well as birthdays. Even my husband and I do our birthdays up big.