Really having trouble with food

Options
I've been on here a long time, and now I'm just not sure what is going on. For the last couple of months I've been finding it to be nearly impossible to stay within calories. I might get through one day of staying within calories and then instantly screw it up the next day. So here's all the info I can muster...

I'm working a lot and sometimes it's easier to grab fast food...this typically adds 500 calories or so to my count for the day
I'm having a female health problem, saw the Dr, and she says everything looks normal but I was put on birthcontrol one week ago to try to help the issue
When I try to cook and eat healthy at home, I often find myself eating too much. I measure my food but am not satisfied, and even try to wait 15 min or more, or choose an orange or carrots to try to keep my calorie count down, only to end up eating another serving of dinner or lunch 45 min later because I feel really hungry...or something. It's not stomach growling hunger, it's different.
I've started working out again 3 days ago, 45 min walking on treadmill and started kettlebell workouts (really sore from that!)
I'm stressed about work. Hate my full-time job, trying to get a different one with NO LUCK, and I'm also trying to figure out school options for a Masters Degree (like what Master do I want?!}

Is this emotional eating? Hormone imbalance? What does it sound like to you? Mix of the two? If it's emotional, I figure this entry might help sort out my feelings. If it's hormonal, has anyone else experienced something similar? Did a certain medication help, or SOMETHING?

Also, I am trying to drink more to try to help it, but it isn't easy. I can get myself to drink two 16 oz bottles of water during and after a workout, the rest of the time, it's not really easy to get myself to drink. I forget as I'm running around at work. (Or sitting at work when I'm at my part time desk job)

Replies

• hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I seriously feel pretty invisible on this site. I rarely have many replies when I do post. Am I doing something wrong?
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No, I often bump my own posts. I think over the holidays there are less people on here too.

Seems like you have just regular old willpower issues. You can identify your bad behaviors so you have to do things to mitigate them. Stopping for fast food? Pack a lunch and snacks so it is easier to grab those than it is to get food. Eating too much? Cook just enough for one. If that isn't possible, measure it out before you eat and put the rest away (freeze it, etc). You probably are having some sort of emotional/hormonal eating going on. Sometimes you just want to eat A LOT. Make sure your plate has something that has a LOT for little calories. A big salad with all kinds of veggies and a bit of low cal dressing. Broccoli is a high volume food. Strawberries and blueberries. Sauteed kale. Green Beans. Squash. I love cooking a whole squash (can take an hour or more) like a butternut squash or an acorn squash and eating the whole thing for like 300 calories. Leave the house for a short walk when you want to eat something and you aren't hungry.

To get yourself to drink more water try a flavor enhancer.
  • hararayne
    Options
    Thanks for replying. ;)

Yeah, those are all things I do. I used to make spaghetti squash but got really sick of it. So now it's sitting in the freezer. And freezing things doesn't really help me. I freeze everything anyway and pull it out and microwave it. It's not a deterent.

I pack healthy lunches, but I REALLY have trouble saying no when someone says, lets get chinese...

I think I am having hormonal and stress issues. But it just seems like I've been screwing up for a long time.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Your diary makes me sad. If I tried to stick to 1400 calories a day, I would eat my own desk, I think. Maybe you could up them a bit? It's better to lose a little more slowly and not be so miserable.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It may just be that 1400 calories might be too low for you. As stated above, I would also eat my own desk if I had to eat 1400 calories a day and I am sedentary with half the week spent studying (literally sitting at a desk for 12+ hours) and even then I would eat at least 1600. If you're hungry, eat something. If you know your work friends are going to get Chinese food or Subway, then don't pack a lunch because you might eat it and eat 1000kcal for Chinese. There's nothing bad about eating 1000 calories for lunch.
  • lattarulol
    Options
    I also looked at your diary. Your ticker looks like you'd like to lose 60+ lbs? What are your stats? I think 1400 cals may be too aggressive for you and the restriction is causing issues. Do you have a food scale? Are you weighing and measuring everything? Looks like there are a lot of estimations on there (McD side salad with what looks like a homecooked meal). Weigh EVERYTHING and write it all down - even ketchup. This doesn't take willpower - just don't be lazy. What is your free time like? Looks like you could benefit from some light exercise. And, I know you have time. If I have time, you have time. You just need to make yourself and your health a priority in your life. You don't want it bad enough.
  • lattarulol
    Options
    Sorry, I'm on a roll.

And the past doesn't matter. How much you've screwed up until now doesn't matter. Only today. Focus on today. Focus on saying no just for today.
  • blueberrybelle21
    Options
    I think that your best bet is cutting out the fast 'junk' food, and choosing a healthier takeout alternative. There is nothing wrong with buying a quick dinner on the run, you just need to be careful what you are buying. If I'm really busy, I like a Subway Salad, with chicken strips and honey mustard. It's low-cal (I had lettuce, cucumber, chicken strips and honey mustard, and it only totalled to 126 calories!!) and REALLY tasty!!!
  • invermont25
    invermont25 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!! I'm at 1400 a day too and somedays I'm ok and others I feel like I could eat my arm off. I think some of it is hormonal too. Maybe try setting your calories to either maintenance or only half the weekly weight loss to get through the season of "giving". In a couple of weeks go back to a deficit that will get your weight loss back in gear. I was less than 10 pounds from my goal weight but have put about 5 back on. Some may be to increased strength training but I know some of it is just weight as my clothes are a bit tighter in some places. Its so hard...Feel free to friend me.
  • invermont25
    invermont25 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    And I totally agree. Focus on one day at a time. otherwise it gets too overwhelming :)
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm working a lot and sometimes it's easier to grab fast food...this typically adds 500 calories or so to my count for the day

I hear you! I'm here after a "brief" crunch time at work turned into several months of 80-90 hour work weeks. When you eat out a lot, you wind up getting a lot of calorie-dense but not very filling foods. Can you set aside time on the weekend maybe to plan out and maybe even parcel out lunches (and dinners) for the upcoming week?

I've started working out again 3 days ago, 45 min walking on treadmill and started kettlebell workouts (really sore from that!)
    I'm stressed about work. Hate my full-time job, trying to get a different one with NO LUCK, and I'm also trying to figure out school options for a Masters Degree (like what Master do I want?!}

I've seen references to studies that link cortisol (hormone released in response to stress) and appetite, so working on your stress levels might be a good start! Set aside what you have time for - what do you LIKE to do? What do you want to do? In terms of free time, job-wise, exercise wise. Can you set aside five minutes every half hour or hour to try to ramp your stress levels down? Is there anything you can do to offload the work stress?
  • hararayne
    Options
    I also looked at your diary. Your ticker looks like you'd like to lose 60+ lbs? What are your stats? I think 1400 cals may be too aggressive for you and the restriction is causing issues. Do you have a food scale? Are you weighing and measuring everything? Looks like there are a lot of estimations on there (McD side salad with what looks like a homecooked meal). Weigh EVERYTHING and write it all down - even ketchup. This doesn't take willpower - just don't be lazy. What is your free time like? Looks like you could benefit from some light exercise. And, I know you have time. If I have time, you have time. You just need to make yourself and your health a priority in your life. You don't want it bad enough.

I use a scale often, but not all times. And No, I DO NOT always have time to exercise. I work 20-30 hours a week in a hospital that is an hour from where I live. I also work full time nearby where I live. Please don't say things like that "I don't want it bad enough" or tell me I'm "lazy". NOT APPRECIATED. I work MANY hours per week. Minimum of 60, not including drive time... max of 90 hours.

Also, I don't count exercise because I use a fitbit, and somedays I CANNOT get up to my step goal because I'm chained to a desk in an ER. When I go to the gym and do things, or when I do a kettlebell workout, it doesn't decrease my calories so why add it on here? I keep track of it in a calendar. I'm VERY strong. My bodyfat percentage does not match up with my bmi. If I kept all my muscle mass, but lost all body fat I would still weigh over 140 lbs, where some women at my height can weigh 135 lbs. I CAN'T.

Also, my boyfriend is a manager at McDonalds. So yes, sometimes I will put a mcdonalds side salad down because HE is making it based on the specifications from where he works. I don't use anywhere close to the amount of dressing the salad stipulates though. So I decrease the side by an estimation. Clearly, I know HOW to count. I just don't quite know HOW to keep my counts down to 1400 lately, which is what MFP put me at. I didn't choose the number.

If it's so easy for you, MISS, then why the hell are you on here? Don't need "tough love". Need some tips. Some support.
  • hararayne
    Options
    As for the rest of you, these are some good points. I DO need to work on my stress level and build in ME time. But it's really hard because I'm trying to get a full time job elsewhere and I am not having much luck with it near where I live. The hospital I work at has lots of hours available for me to fill on an AS NEEDED basis, but it isn't a fulltime job. And trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of my life is daunting looking at differen't Master's degree programs. I'm very unhappy with my full-time job but I'm stuck for the moment. So it helps to talk to people about it. I work with my aunt and I've recently (once again) been passed up for a promotion. I'm VERY angry about it and can't talk about it at work. It would be unprofessional and make my family life more difficult.

I do need to work on my fast food/chinese food will power. And fruit snack addiction. (evil little things)
    I WANT to make working out more of a priority, but I'm doing that in baby steps.

The hormone thing, pretty likely to be an issue, that will hopefully work itself out over time. But "bc" has a tendency for making weight loss harder, and knowing that is adding another stresser for me. I appreciate the support from all of you.
  • sweetdandelion
    sweetdandelion Posts: 7 Member
    Options

When I try to cook and eat healthy at home, I often find myself eating too much. I measure my food but am not satisfied, and even try to wait 15 min or more, or choose an orange or carrots to try to keep my calorie count down, only to end up eating another serving of dinner or lunch 45 min later because I feel really hungry...or something. It's not stomach growling hunger, it's different.
  • sweetdandelion
    sweetdandelion Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe you are choosing food that you think you should eat instead of listening to your body and finding out what it is truly asking for at that moment. This could be why you are not feeling satisfied, but yet not hungry. I am a big fan of intuitive eating.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    To me it sound less like emotional eating and more like convenience eating that's messing up your numbers a bit.

Fast food is really convenient and can be pretty tasty (not to mention affordable) but is tough to fit into a limited amount of calories, fat, sodium, etc on a regular basis. One way to eat fast food without too much worry is to figure out what the healthier options are at the fast food places you like or visit most often. In your diary I see some Taco Bell. If they still have the Fresco menu (I'm not sure if they discontinued it, I didn't see it the last time I was there,) that has some fairly low-calorie options with a good amount of protein from beans or chicken and a decent serving of vegetables. Their Cantina Bell bowls are also pretty good, and are based on a salad so they have bulk without too many calories. Most fast food places have the calories of their menu items on their websites, so it's not hard to figure out 4-5 healthier items at each one you like--you could write them down on an index card to keep in your desk at work, maybe.

It doesn't look like you log water, so I don't know how much you're drinking now, but I've found that having a glass or bottle of water (still or sparkling, sometimes with a little fruit juice for flavor) with me throughout the day helps with food cravings. Sometimes I just want something to do, or something to swallow, or am thirsty, and can mistake that for hunger. So, I drink some water, wait a few minutes, and see if I still want to eat. It doesn't do the trick every time, but it helped me figure out what real hunger feels like as opposed to just appetite.

Some other easy changes might be switching out calorie-laden French dressing or veggie dip with lighter alternatives you enjoy, like vinaigrette, light Ranch, or nonfat yogurt.
  • hararayne
    Options
    It sounds like maybe you are choosing food that you think you should eat instead of listening to your body and finding out what it is truly asking for at that moment. This could be why you are not feeling satisfied, but yet not hungry. I am a big fan of intuitive eating.

I've heard about intuitive eating, but since it's intuitive, I don't really understand it or how to do it. If I ate intuitively, I'd be very afraid of what I would end up doing...entire bags of doritos? boxes of fruit snacks? Yeah....that's probably what I would intuitively eat, lol
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    Oop, sorry, I didn't catch the last bit about water in your original post. It can be hard to get enough water when you're on your feet at work. I don't know what the policy is where you work, but it might be possible to get something like a water bottle holder you can clip to your waistband. I know at least some hospitals allow them, since a few of my mothers' friends are nurses who have special bottles they carry with them during the day to stay hydrated on long shifts.
  • hararayne
    Options
    To me it sound less like emotional eating and more like convenience eating that's messing up your numbers a bit.

Fast food is really convenient and can be pretty tasty (not to mention affordable) but is tough to fit into a limited amount of calories, fat, sodium, etc on a regular basis. One way to eat fast food without too much worry is to figure out what the healthier options are at the fast food places you like or visit most often. In your diary I see some Taco Bell. If they still have the Fresco menu (I'm not sure if they discontinued it, I didn't see it the last time I was there,) that has some fairly low-calorie options with a good amount of protein from beans or chicken and a decent serving of vegetables. Their Cantina Bell bowls are also pretty good, and are based on a salad so they have bulk without too many calories. Most fast food places have the calories of their menu items on their websites, so it's not hard to figure out 4-5 healthier items at each one you like--you could write them down on an index card to keep in your desk at work, maybe.

It doesn't look like you log water, so I don't know how much you're drinking now, but I've found that having a glass or bottle of water (still or sparkling, sometimes with a little fruit juice for flavor) with me throughout the day helps with food cravings. Sometimes I just want something to do, or something to swallow, or am thirsty, and can mistake that for hunger. So, I drink some water, wait a few minutes, and see if I still want to eat. It doesn't do the trick every time, but it helped me figure out what real hunger feels like as opposed to just appetite.

Some other easy changes might be switching out calorie-laden French dressing or veggie dip with lighter alternatives you enjoy, like vinaigrette, light Ranch, or nonfat yogurt.

Convenience eating...that's an interesting way to put it. I have a real weakness for taco bell. And a serious love for sour cream. Like I would eat it by the spoonful. So I don't ever get the fresca stuff. I've gotten the cantina things before. The rice makes them higher than is reasonable for a meal for me. Well, I guess I haven't had the salad. Just the burrito and that thing is NAUGHTY. But really good and satisfying when I do decide to get one. I am full for several hours after eating one.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    Also: hi from Minneapolis! I have friends going to school in Appleton and have driven through many times. Looks like you guys are getting hit by the cold just as much as we are, and I always crave heartier (read: heavier) meals when it's cold out. Hot tea and black coffee are my best friends right now.