Really having trouble with food

Options

Replies

• hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell, defintely a huge weakness. When I work at the hospital, its the closest fast food place to go to on my 30 min break. When I work at my full time job. it's right across the street! I love "mexican" food. Tex-mex, whatever. I love it with cheese and sour cream, and i have a HARD time saying no to it, especially when I was running late getting to work and forgot to grab my food for the day, or the food I brought just isn't doing it for me.
  • hararayne
    Options
    Also: hi from Minneapolis! I have friends going to school in Appleton and have driven through many times. Looks like you guys are getting hit by the cold just as much as we are, and I always crave heartier (read: heavier) meals when it's cold out. Hot tea and black coffee are my best friends right now.

No kidding! Small world. One of our friends just moved to Minneapolis from Appleton! We're going to visit him in February there at his new place! Hi back! And good point about the warm drinks. Those have helped with cravings and increased my fluid intake in the past. I should start putting focus in that again.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My guess - stress eating.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck at a desk most of the day myself. I sometimes get 30 minutes on the treadmill upstairs during my lunch, but not always. What really helped me is keeping healthy snacks at my desk as often as possible. I also constantly drink water. Sometimes if you spread your calories out by eating more more times a day, it helps reduce a lot of cravings. The fast food is always going to be problematic. I share your love for Chinese food as well. I try to eat lean proteins often. One of my favorite snacks to curve hunger is Perky Turkey Jerky. It is a bit pricey, but it is fairly low in sodium (which is uncommon for jerky), low calorie, and high protein. High protein is great for curving your appetite.
  • sweetdandelion
    sweetdandelion Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe you are choosing food that you think you should eat instead of listening to your body and finding out what it is truly asking for at that moment. This could be why you are not feeling satisfied, but yet not hungry. I am a big fan of intuitive eating.

I've heard about intuitive eating, but since it's intuitive, I don't really understand it or how to do it. If I ate intuitively, I'd be very afraid of what I would end up doing...entire bags of doritos? boxes of fruit snacks? Yeah....that's probably what I would intuitively eat, lol

With intuitive eating you first have to really get in touch with your hunger and fullness levels. But within those boundaries you really can eat anything you truly want and feel satisfied. There are no good or bad foods.
  • hararayne
    Options
    I'm stuck at a desk most of the day myself. I sometimes get 30 minutes on the treadmill upstairs during my lunch, but not always. What really helped me is keeping healthy snacks at my desk as often as possible. I also constantly drink water. Sometimes if you spread your calories out by eating more more times a day, it helps reduce a lot of cravings. The fast food is always going to be problematic. I share your love for Chinese food as well. I try to eat lean proteins often. One of my favorite snacks to curve hunger is Perky Turkey Jerky. It is a bit pricey, but it is fairly low in sodium (which is uncommon for jerky), low calorie, and high protein. High protein is great for curving your appetite.

Low sodium jerky? NICE! I will have to look that up. I LOVE chewing on things like that. Keeps me busy for a long time
  • hararayne
    Options
    It sounds like maybe you are choosing food that you think you should eat instead of listening to your body and finding out what it is truly asking for at that moment. This could be why you are not feeling satisfied, but yet not hungry. I am a big fan of intuitive eating.

I've heard about intuitive eating, but since it's intuitive, I don't really understand it or how to do it. If I ate intuitively, I'd be very afraid of what I would end up doing...entire bags of doritos? boxes of fruit snacks? Yeah....that's probably what I would intuitively eat, lol

With intuitive eating you first have to really get in touch with your hunger and fullness levels. But within those boundaries you really can eat anything you truly want and feel satisfied. There are no good or bad foods.

The little I've heard about intuitive eating, it becomes harder to count calories. I try not to be one to label foods good or bad (I do it for colloquialism) but for me, I guess a bad food is one that I can't stop myself on. Tacos, Pizza, Chinese food, none are "good" for me because they usually start what I like to call a "food avalanche". I'm only successful about 50% of the time in not having a food avalanche after indulding in one of these foods.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    As for the rest of you, these are some good points. I DO need to work on my stress level and build in ME time. But it's really hard because I'm trying to get a full time job elsewhere and I am not having much luck with it near where I live. The hospital I work at has lots of hours available for me to fill on an AS NEEDED basis, but it isn't a fulltime job. And trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of my life is daunting looking at differen't Master's degree programs. I'm very unhappy with my full-time job but I'm stuck for the moment. So it helps to talk to people about it. I work with my aunt and I've recently (once again) been passed up for a promotion. I'm VERY angry about it and can't talk about it at work. It would be unprofessional and make my family life more difficult.

I do need to work on my fast food/chinese food will power. And fruit snack addiction. (evil little things)
    I WANT to make working out more of a priority, but I'm doing that in baby steps.

The hormone thing, pretty likely to be an issue, that will hopefully work itself out over time. But "bc" has a tendency for making weight loss harder, and knowing that is adding another stresser for me. I appreciate the support from all of you.

I would say that you in this case as so many other people in their own lives cannot do everything they want to do all at once. I think that would be counter productive. I think you need to decide in general terms what right now is more important for you; is it losing weight at a reasonable speed, or is it improving your general health so you can endure this difficult life style for a while longer until hopefully your job aspiration and some other things fall in place.
    I know, this is probably not the most popular opinion, but one that so far has worked for me. Due to health reasons ( Lupus & RA) it was important for me to lose weight. That was my priority. And since weight is mostly lost i through calorie deficit I focussed on that. I only exercise five times a week ( well, it can't even be called exercise, because all I do is walk as fast as I can for 30 minutes on those days ). Most of my effort goes into eating a balanced diet ( my choice, your's maybe be different ) and measuring and logging everything I eat. I have made a good effort to not go over my calories and in eight month went only over three times and not even 100 calories. That was also my own choice.
    I have since the middle of April lost 45 pounds and since I feel that I have all the food stuff pretty much incorporated ( which still does not mean that I quit weighing and measuring ) and since my general state of fitness has improved I will increase my exercise as of the New Year.
    I am not saying that just because this worked for me that it also should work for you. But what I am saying is that you need to figure out what you can do depending on what goal you set for now. Don't allow yourself to be pressured into something just because a bunch of people tells you to, but make smart decisions for yourself using solid science ( like eating at a deficit if weight loss is what you want ). Take it a day at a time ( but as consistently as possible, not just one day here and another there) and know that you did not get to where you are now in a few short weeks and that getting better also will take time. But always be aware; that you are in control and no one else.
    Good Luck !

ETA: I keep food that I feel I am addicted to out ( bread, potatoes and pasta) of the house all together, or only buy a small amount for a planned meal and it has worked really well for me. You could do the same for your fruit snacks and other " addiction " foods.
  • Mercybou
    Options
    Make your food the night before. And drink 16 ounces of waster before every meal it really helps me not over eat. It is hard but the control is in your hands. You got this don't give up.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think the winter months are harder. Something about the bear instinct, storing fat reserves for hibernation, etc.

I exercise so I can eat more. I used to think that was weird.

Food is extraordinarily powerful. You're not alone. I remember my Dad saying that even though he had given up cigarettes 20 years ago and hadn't touched one since, he sometimes still felt like sucking on one a mile long for an hour without stopping.

Yeah, it's like that.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on working all those hours plus looking at a Master's. Those are great accomplishments and goals.

It's hard to balance everything in your situation. I'm am older person who works plus went back to college, and while I love taking classes, I've found I really have to plan ahead what I'm going to eat or I will grab whatever is around. I take time 1-2 nights a week to make meals. I cook a big pot of steel cut oats and then heat some up in the morning with a sliced apple instead of sugar. I eat a lot of spiced lentils, stir fried veggies, steamed greens, and winter squash, so I cook those ahead of time and always have 1-2 meals in the fridge I can just heat up. I pack my lunch and take fruit for snacks.

I took a quick look at your diary. It looks like you are eating a lot of prepared foods with lots of sodium and possibly corn syrup/hidden sugar. Those two things will give you cravings.

I've found that filling up on steamed greens and other vegetables is a low cal way to curb my hunger. Soup is good, too, and doesn't have a lot of calories.

I've also found that I need to build on my motivation. Just knowing the reasons why I want to be healthier isn't enough. For example, when I need inspiration, this amazing true story lifts my spirits every time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think the winter months are harder. Something about the bear instinct, storing fat reserves for hibernation, etc.

I exercise so I can eat more. I used to think that was weird.

Food is extraordinarily powerful. You're not alone. I remember my Dad saying that even though he had given up cigarettes 20 years ago and hadn't touched one since, he sometimes still felt like sucking on one a mile long for an hour without stopping.

Yeah, it's like that.

The only difference is, we need food to survive. We don't need cigarettes. Keeping 'trigger' foods out of the house is fine while you are losing weight, but what about maintenance? At some point, we all need to learn to simply choose to not eat certain things at certain times. This is not something that a true addict can do (according to most addiction models).
  • Kim2PointO
    Options
    Silly question I know but do you take a multivitamin? I noticed a week or so when I started counting calories that I kept feeling like I needed more. With the restrictions I was missing things I had in abundance before. I added a multivitamin and it helped massively. I also cut down on simple carbs like bread, rice and white pasta and increased my proteins because I would have cravings at night when I had carbs for my snacks or a lot at dinner. These things helped me a lot, maybe they can help you too.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Read Eating Less by Gillian Riley. It's a great book on the psychology of eating.

Please don't take this the wrong way but have you ever been involved in playing the ' but ......' Game on a course or anything. It seems like often when people give you a suggestion, you say but,,,,,,, and give a reason why you can't do it. Try instead to twist it round and give a solution as to how you COULD do it.

As someone said to me- 'losing weight is hard, being over weight is hard- you need to just choose your hard.'
  • piloxing26
    Options
    I'm having food issues too-I work in convience store so all right there for me....all the time.....biggest weakness and always in my face is reese cups!!!! Also we all know not the best choices every night for dinner. try to take my dinner and that's not always the best choice either....I know my eating habits are the worst!!! Any suggestions?? I do use MFP and exercise. looking to lose total of 60 pds but would love to lose 30 by march 2014.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I also looked at your diary. Your ticker looks like you'd like to lose 60+ lbs? What are your stats? I think 1400 cals may be too aggressive for you and the restriction is causing issues. Do you have a food scale? Are you weighing and measuring everything? Looks like there are a lot of estimations on there (McD side salad with what looks like a homecooked meal). Weigh EVERYTHING and write it all down - even ketchup. This doesn't take willpower - just don't be lazy. What is your free time like? Looks like you could benefit from some light exercise. And, I know you have time. If I have time, you have time. You just need to make yourself and your health a priority in your life. You don't want it bad enough.

I use a scale often, but not all times. And No, I DO NOT always have time to exercise. I work 20-30 hours a week in a hospital that is an hour from where I live. I also work full time nearby where I live. Please don't say things like that "I don't want it bad enough" or tell me I'm "lazy". NOT APPRECIATED. I work MANY hours per week. Minimum of 60, not including drive time... max of 90 hours.

Also, I don't count exercise because I use a fitbit, and somedays I CANNOT get up to my step goal because I'm chained to a desk in an ER. When I go to the gym and do things, or when I do a kettlebell workout, it doesn't decrease my calories so why add it on here? I keep track of it in a calendar. I'm VERY strong. My bodyfat percentage does not match up with my bmi. If I kept all my muscle mass, but lost all body fat I would still weigh over 140 lbs, where some women at my height can weigh 135 lbs. I CAN'T.

Also, my boyfriend is a manager at McDonalds. So yes, sometimes I will put a mcdonalds side salad down because HE is making it based on the specifications from where he works. I don't use anywhere close to the amount of dressing the salad stipulates though. So I decrease the side by an estimation. Clearly, I know HOW to count. I just don't quite know HOW to keep my counts down to 1400 lately, which is what MFP put me at. I didn't choose the number.

If it's so easy for you, MISS, then why the hell are you on here? Don't need "tough love". Need some tips. Some support.

Ok, first things first. When I first responded I gave you some tips. You said, "yeah, doesn't work" I just eat it out if the freezer, I can't say no, etc. so, at that point it is just sheer willpower. A lot of time passes for you to think about eating something when you have to go to the kitchen, get it out if the freezer and heat it up. If losing weight was truly important to you then you would find the will to say no. No one will say no for you. And I didn't call you lazy. I said not logging accurately is laziness because that doesn't take willpower. Using a scale and logging accurately are TIPS to successful weight loss. I suggested more exercise because that will give you more calories to use. I asked your stats because perhaps, with a fitbit, tdee would be a better method for you. I have a full time job, two kids, a commute too, and a husband. I had all of that and an ailing mother and I still found time to exercise when recovering from knee surgery. It's called 4:30am. I'm not special which is why I know everyone can do it. I am on here because I had to lose baby weight and I learn a lot from other members about fitness and nutrition. I am sorry if it sounded snotty but the truth is the truth.
  • papetto
    papetto Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It sounds like stress from work to me. When I'm tired, exhausted or frustrated from work I tend to overeat or defy my eating plan even though I know it hurts me in the end. Try forcing yourself to only bring healthy snacks to work. What I've been doing is buying lots of different teas to fill me up and to enjoy after dinner to mark the end of a meal, without adding calories to my daily intake. Additionally, if tea is too boring, you can always add a little bit of soy/almond/rice milk or similar creamer and a tiny bit of sweetener to boost its flavor. Sometimes it's impossible to fight that kind of urge, but keep trying! <3
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Choosing a reply to these types of posts is difficult, because the program is simple math. Eat fewer calories than your body burns in a day. Keeping up with calories is simple - fast food places are great about posting calories. Even if you don't have a smart phone or internet access, there's never a valid reason for not tracking your calories because pencil and paper works.
    Every bite is a choice.
    It really is that simple. Every other "reason" we give ourselves for misbehaving around food is us enabling ourselves.
    There is a difference between "wish" and "want". If we say we "want" to lose weight, yet we choose to overeat, then what we really want is instant gratification, the satisfaction that comes from rebellion around food rules, the immediate craving satisfaction, etc. - we don't really want to lose weight. We WISH we could lose weight.
    When a person WANTS to lose weight, their choices reflect that.
    I say this with the perspective of someone who used to wish for a fit healthy body, and who struggled for years with overweight and tried everything and paid a lot of money and did it every unhealthy way... and now I'm a person who WANTS to be fit and healthy every day. I've been logging for 180 days in a row and I don't eat over my calorie limit EVER. Not even on Thanksgiving. When you choose properly there is plenty to eat. I don't eliminate anything and it has really given me complete and total freedom around food and has eliminated my cravings. I'm a nurse but I don't fault anyone for fast food choices - at least they've done the calorie work for us.
    Every bite is a choice.
    What do you WANT? You may just not be ready yet - and that's ok! It works - but only if you work it.
    Best of luck to you!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Choosing a reply to these types of posts is difficult, because the program is simple math. Eat fewer calories than your body burns in a day. Keeping up with calories is simple - fast food places are great about posting calories. Even if you don't have a smart phone or internet access, there's never a valid reason for not tracking your calories because pencil and paper works.
    Every bite is a choice.
    It really is that simple. Every other "reason" we give ourselves for misbehaving around food is us enabling ourselves.
    There is a difference between "wish" and "want". If we say we "want" to lose weight, yet we choose to overeat, then what we really want is instant gratification, the satisfaction that comes from rebellion around food rules, the immediate craving satisfaction, etc. - we don't really want to lose weight. We WISH we could lose weight.
    When a person WANTS to lose weight, their choices reflect that.
    I say this with the perspective of someone who used to wish for a fit healthy body, and who struggled for years with overweight and tried everything and paid a lot of money and did it every unhealthy way... and now I'm a person who WANTS to be fit and healthy every day. I've been logging for 180 days in a row and I don't eat over my calorie limit EVER. Not even on Thanksgiving. When you choose properly there is plenty to eat. I don't eliminate anything and it has really given me complete and total freedom around food and has eliminated my cravings. I'm a nurse but I don't fault anyone for fast food choices - at least they've done the calorie work for us.
    Every bite is a choice.
    What do you WANT? You may just not be ready yet - and that's ok! It works - but only if you work it.
    Best of luck to you!

I love this- will think about WANTING rather than WISHING in future. THANKYOU
  • ntftnm
    ntftnm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can relate to you. I too have a busy life, 3 young kids, husband, job, and I dont feel like I have time right now in my life to exercise either. I would like to, but I just can't seem to find any extra time. So...I am doing this a bit different than others it seems...exercise isnt even my goal right now...just trying to tweak my intake to work better for me. I did some little things to motivate myself to have a more healthy food attitude.

1 i got some gum I really like.
    2 I bought myself a fancy water cup.
    3 I drink water...goal is at least 8 c a day. And i measured it in my fancy water cup...lol
    4 I weigh myself every morning to stay motivated I love to see the numbers change and track my progress w reports on mfp.
    5 I didnt like my job so i applied for what i liked and waited and waited and prayed and waited 10 mos...and landed my perfect job...i start in a few days
    6 i eat everything i want but i track it. And try to make healthier choices so my calories fit. I feel raw fruit and veggies are ok to go over with no guilt, if i ate it raw, i was really hungry...
    7 i was fixated on food for awhile, so i upped my calories...im at 1580 right now and i still go over sometimes...but i keep going. This is my new way of life.

And so far, most days its working, im disapointed in myself sometimes, but overall, i'm proud of the new me. You can do this, keep going. Change your calories, see if that helps, mayb try something thats worked for someone else, stay positive.