Sweet potatoes vs regular potatoes

Options
So...I noticed a lot of people switching to sweet potatoes instead of regular russet potato. But when I looked at the nutritional facts in the store, they seem to be around the same calories. Is there a reason to stay away from a regular white potato that I'm missing?

p1010044ao.jpg

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato has a lower GI so doesnt spike your insulin. Which seems odd considering it's 'sweet', but I guess its got more fibre and less starch than white potatoes.

I love the tast of them too :bigsmile:
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Less carbs:)

I have really just started eating them; a couple times in the last few months and it's taking a while but I'm starting to like them more and more each time I have them.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    also, their nutritional value is good. There were some things in sweet potato's that I wanted to include in my diet. I looked up online the top ten best veggies to eat and they were one of them :)
  • inadelirium
    Options
    Sweet Potatoes
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64

vs.

Reg
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=48

What it looks like to me is that sweet potatoes have A LOT more vitamins, kind of like the ones that are in green leafy veggies!:happy:
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can also pretty much eat a sweet potato PLAIN because they're so good! Sometimes all I need is a little salt and pepper.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes are so delicious with savory spices. i like to make sweet potato "fries" with garlic and rosemary. i brush or rub a small amount of olive oil on them and bake until tender and aromatic. the sweetness truly compliments the savory.

i've also made sweet potato chips... stfu. so yum .
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    They are also a super food. :) Very nutritious, digested better and used by the body more, and tastier! I bake mine for 45 mins in the oven, then split them open, a little yogurt butter, a little cinnamon, and 3 mini marshmallows...put it back in and bake for 10 more mins, YUMMY!
  • jjustjo
    jjustjo Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I microwave mine in the skin then top with a few sprays of butter flavoring and splenda brown sugar and mash with a fork to blend. I think they are more filling than a regular potato and full of good vitamins (same as carrots and acorn squash).
  • KAK68
    KAK68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We were potato people all the way- at least 3-4 times a week- now we eat sweet potatoes only once a week at least- we just love them- have even tried the sweet potato fries from Schwans. I use a little butter and lots of cinnamon- yummy yummy