Help?!

Options
I am 23 years old, and about 75lbs overweight, with a starting weight of 256. Before I started my journey, I would easily eat 3000+ cals a day, and no exercise at all. I have been counting cals and exercising for about 4 weeks now. I eat only about 1200-1400 cals a day, and do a mile on my treadmill, and 1/2 mile on the elliptical, as well as bicep curls, bicep dips, pushups, squats, and punches. I would estimate I lose at least 300 cals a day, and still only eat 1200-1400 cals. So after my exercise deficit, I am only eating about 900-1100 cals a day. I have only lost 5lbs since starting my journey 4 weeks ago, and I am not sure why. I have made a big lifestyle change in my eating and exercise, I figured I would lose quite a bit to start since I have done such a drastic change. Does anyone have any ideas on why I did not lose that much? I eat things like eggs and whole wheat toast for breakfast, baked tilapia and homemade chicken soup for lunch, carrots and ranch or mandarin oranges for snacks. Dinner consists of a salad with Italian dressing, and a tiny portion of whatever I cook for my husband. I have practically cut all sugar out (no ice creams, candies, cookies, etc), except my creamer with my morning coffee. Everything is also a serving size, I weight and portion it all out accordingly. Any advice on how I can kick start things and lose more is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Losing about 1 lb per week is a reasonable set point. Although I'm following an LCHF diet instead, which dampens my food cravings. But, rate of weight loss is about the same.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    this is all just my opinion. i would think that you might not be eating enough. use this to find the right amount of calories for you and give that a try for at least two weeks.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    id also recommend that you eat every three hours to keep your metabolism at its full potential.

regardless, you should be eating AT LEAST 1200 calories AND THEN your exercise calories!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    this is all just my opinion. i would think that you might not be eating enough. use this to find the right amount of calories for you and give that a try for at least two weeks.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    id also recommend that you eat every three hours to keep your metabolism at its full potential.

regardless, you should be eating AT LEAST 1200 calories AND THEN your exercise calories!

Ummm...what? You do know meal timing is irrelevant, right? You don't have to eat every 3 hours to keep your metabolism to its full potential.
  • baileycallen
    Options
    It said I should eat 2344 cals a day. That just seems so high for weight loss......
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    It said I should eat 2344 cals a day. That just seems so high for weight loss......

Are you sure that wasn't your maintenance?
    Options
    i said it was just my opinion. i dont believe it to be irrelevant. google it.

Eat often. Berardi recommends eating every 2 to 3 hours. Each time you eat, you stimulate your metabolism for a short period of time, which means that the more often you eat, the more you’ll increase your metabolism. Eating every 2 to 3 hours feeds muscle and starves fat. By eating frequently, you reassure your body that you aren’t going to starve; that food will always be available. Skipping breakfast, eating only a sandwich for lunch, and pigging out at dinner, on the other hand, frightens your body into storing fat, just in case your next meal never comes. Research from Georgia State University shows that people who eat every 2 to 3 hours have less body fat and faster metabolisms than those who eat only 2 or 3 meals per day

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat?page=2
    Options

did it say that at daily calories based on step 6?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    not here to fight... but you did read THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Well, it has been debunked. Just letting you know :flowerforyou: (And putting out there for the OP's info as well as for any lurkers that might be browsing)
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would try the TDEE calculator at IIFYM. The Scooby's one says my BMR is 1540 but IIFYM and most other calculators put it around 1400. Also 5 pounds in a month is nothing to be disappointed about! I think weight loss shows have convinced us we should be losing 5 lbs in a week and other craziness
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I would try the TDEE calculator at IIFYM. The Scooby's one says my BMR is 1540 but IIFYM and most other calculators put it around 1400. Also 5 pounds in a month is nothing to be disappointed about! I think weight loss shows have convinced us we should be losing 5 lbs in a week and other craziness

I do like IIFYM's better. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    Options
    not here to fight... but you did read THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Well, it has been debunked. Just letting you know :flowerforyou: (And putting out there for the OP's info as well as for any lurkers that might be browsing)

i edited the post to show part of the reason i believe it to work. but believe what you like
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I second the fact that you probably need to eat more. I hit a big plateau (a month and a half) and then found out about TDEE and BMR (basal metabolic rate). I found I was really not eating enough. A couple hundred calories a day really helped.

Mainly, I want to say don't get discouraged and stop doing what you're doing. It may not look like you're doing any good on the scales, but they don't always tell you the truth. You could be building muscle while you are losing fat - making the weight loss look less. Or you might just be around the corner from a big loss. Or maybe you are just making your body healthier! 5 lbs is a great start! Hold on to that and keep moving forward.

Losing weight and getting healthy isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Keep moving toward your goal.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    i said it was just my opinion. i dont believe it to be irrelevant. google it.

Eat often. Berardi recommends eating every 2 to 3 hours. Each time you eat, you stimulate your metabolism for a short period of time, which means that the more often you eat, the more you’ll increase your metabolism. Eating every 2 to 3 hours feeds muscle and starves fat. By eating frequently, you reassure your body that you aren’t going to starve; that food will always be available. Skipping breakfast, eating only a sandwich for lunch, and pigging out at dinner, on the other hand, frightens your body into storing fat, just in case your next meal never comes. Research from Georgia State University shows that people who eat every 2 to 3 hours have less body fat and faster metabolisms than those who eat only 2 or 3 meals per day

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat?page=2

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
    ^This provides numerous links to studies and research.

If it works for you, fine. But recommending it and backing up your personal preferences by claiming that it boosts your metabolism and such is where people will have issues.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I lost all my weight eating 2100 calories/day on average *shrug*
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    We both had the same starting weight!

You want to make sure you never go below 1200 calories a day., and you'll definitely want to start off eating more than that if you find out your BMR/TDEE and whatnot.

Don't worry about how much weight you are losing at first. There will be lots of fluctuation in the beginning when your body first starts to adapt to its new diet and workout plan. Weight might shed off quickly, it might stop, it might go up due to water retention. You just have to eat below maintenance and you WILL lose the weight you want to lose.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting your food and calorie estimations from? Are you weighing and measuring all your food? Are you logging everything you eat and all exercise?

Please open up your diary so we can give you more concrete advice.
  • baileycallen
    Options
    Where are you getting your food and calorie estimations from? Are you weighing and measuring all your food? Are you logging everything you eat and all exercise?

How do I open it up?
  • baileycallen
    Options

nevermind. I got it. Check it out!~
  • baileycallen
    Options

I do like IIFYM's better. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

According to this calculator, I need to eat 2312 cals. Guess I'll try amping up my daily intake, and see what happens