Help?!

Options
2»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So you are weighing everything out? Including your tilapias and carrots?

Have you thought about weighing out your creamer instead of using the measuring spoon?

From experience whenever you can, weigh stuff out. Even the Schwan's items, like the bread. A lot of times, it's a lot more than you think.

Don't Quick Add any calories anymore. Log EVERYTHING no matter what. If you aren't sure, look for similar items and log that.

I see sauteed mushrooms. Did you record this as a recipe so you could add in any oil you might have used? Are you using Pam or oil when cooking? If oil, have you thought about including that in because those do have calories too.

I also see back in mid-November (about), you were logging around and less than 800 cals, and then some days nothing. It doesn't seem (aside from the past 11 days or so) that you are very consistent. Also note that when you starve yourself then try to jump back to a normal amount, you may experience a gain for a bit.

My advice is give it another 4-6 weeks and weigh out everything you can and log EVERYTHING, EVERYDAY.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I would try the TDEE calculator at IIFYM. The Scooby's one says my BMR is 1540 but IIFYM and most other calculators put it around 1400. Also 5 pounds in a month is nothing to be disappointed about! I think weight loss shows have convinced us we should be losing 5 lbs in a week and other craziness

I do like IIFYM's better. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

According to this calculator, I need to eat 2312 cals. Guess I'll try amping up my daily intake, and see what happens

Are you sure that's not maintenance. It gives you options to choose 3 different percentages that you want to lose at. Which one did you choose?
  • baileycallen
    Options
    I would try the TDEE calculator at IIFYM. The Scooby's one says my BMR is 1540 but IIFYM and most other calculators put it around 1400. Also 5 pounds in a month is nothing to be disappointed about! I think weight loss shows have convinced us we should be losing 5 lbs in a week and other craziness

I do like IIFYM's better. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

I chose 20%. My maintenence is 2890, fat loss is 2312.

According to this calculator, I need to eat 2312 cals. Guess I'll try amping up my daily intake, and see what happens

Are you sure that's not maintenance. It gives you options to choose 3 different percentages that you want to lose at. Which one did you choose?
  • baileycallen
    Options
    I chose 20%. My maintenence is 2890, fat loss is 2312
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Well, give that a try for 4-6 weeks. If that doesn't work, then maybe re-adjust to 2100 and give that another 4-6 weeks. Whenever making changes to your exercise routine or calorie intake, give yourself that length of time to adjust before making more changes.

ETA: And to be clear, MFP is based on NEAT which means it is designed for its users to eat back their exercise calories. TDEE INCLUDES exercise calories. So if you set your calorie goal to 2300, then eat just the 2300. You can log your exercise calories as 1 cal burns if this helps you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i said it was just my opinion. i dont believe it to be irrelevant. google it.

Eat often. Berardi recommends eating every 2 to 3 hours. Each time you eat, you stimulate your metabolism for a short period of time, which means that the more often you eat, the more you’ll increase your metabolism. Eating every 2 to 3 hours feeds muscle and starves fat. By eating frequently, you reassure your body that you aren’t going to starve; that food will always be available. Skipping breakfast, eating only a sandwich for lunch, and pigging out at dinner, on the other hand, frightens your body into storing fat, just in case your next meal never comes. Research from Georgia State University shows that people who eat every 2 to 3 hours have less body fat and faster metabolisms than those who eat only 2 or 3 meals per day

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat?page=2

Often Webmd has outdated information. :smile:

Your body is not worried it will starve if you don't eat at certain intervals. In my experience, the logic for eating smaller meals more often is to keep blood sugar and energy levels on an even keel. And, frankly, some people just like to eat more often.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

By the way, your little one in your profile is sooooo cute!

I notice in your diary that some days your calories are way lower than your totals for the day should be. Are you missing logging in food, or were you really eating that low on some days? You want to try and be consistent and keep the calories close to where they should be.

If you use the MFP method, you eat your exercise calories back.

If you use the TDEE method, you don't eat your exercise calories back.
  • baileycallen
    Options
    Thank you! He is my little sweetheart :)

I log everything I eat, so yes, sometimes my cals are really that low. Do you think I need more?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you! He is my little sweetheart :)

I log everything I eat, so yes, sometimes my cals are really that low. Do you think I need more?

Well, if you aren't losing weight you don't need more.

Where do you get your calorie estimations from?

Do you weigh all solid food and measure all liquids?

Do you old in every single thing you eat, including those snacks you might grab on the run?
  • loumaymar
    loumaymar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I recommend for now you ditch the strength training and concentrate on more cardio, it is easier to lose weight first and tone after if thats your desired goal. Its worked for me and there is loads of fun cardio at home or elsewhere. I would personally stick three healthy meals and a couple of healthy snacks per day. Whatever you doing seems to be working, even if it is slowly. Good Luck :)
  • baileycallen
    Options
    My calorie estimations come from MFP. I do measure everything, including any liquids. I think my calories are on point. I really dont believe I am eating more then I log, and if I do, it is very few. I plan my whole day in the morning, so I add all my cals on MFP then. I dont tend to stray from what I plan, but if I do, I do add it. I am a SAHM, so I dont go many places, so snacks on the run are not really part of the equation. Thats why I am so confused. The reason I asked if I should eat more is because that is what other calorie calculators are suggesting, as well as some people. Maybe I just lose slow, idk. I wish I didnt.
  • jumbo_no_more
    Options
    Make sure your not eating or drinking 3 hours before you go to bed. Also don't drink diet soda.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Make sure your not eating or drinking 3 hours before you go to bed. Also don't drink diet soda.

Why? Neither impact weight loss.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you simply counting calories? I'd suggest working out your macros and sticking to those. From the couple of days I saw you eat very little protein, and random amounts of fat and carbs.
    I think you'd be more successful with more protein, and sticking to a set amount of carbs/fat.

You can eat what you like, but you may get better results in terms of general health and well being if you choose more fresh, minimally processed foods. Bump up the vegies and fruit intake!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You are building Muscle as you lose Fat so it is possible that is why you don't see much weight loss.

Every time I hit a plateau I added a couple houndred calories a day for a week or so.
  • baileycallen
    Options
    Are you simply counting calories? I'd suggest working out your macros and sticking to those. From the couple of days I saw you eat very little protein, and random amounts of fat and carbs.
    I think you'd be more successful with more protein, and sticking to a set amount of carbs/fat.

You can eat what you like, but you may get better results in terms of general health and well being if you choose more fresh, minimally processed foods. Bump up the vegies and fruit intake!

I almost always go over on my alloted protein intake that MFP gave me.......Can you give me a list of good protein foods? I know obviously chicken and eggs and fish. What else can I add?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    It said I should eat 2344 cals a day. That just seems so high for weight loss......

but you're a big girl.. and you're young. i'm a bit smaller than you and older than you and my maintenance is around 2800 calories so technically i could lose a pound a week eating 2300 calories, so it's not to much of a stretch to think you could too.

in any case, i would lean towards thinking you're eating more than you think you are. unfortunately the MFP database isn't always the most accurate. plus if you arent weighing things you dont know for sure. also little things like differences between cooked and precooked weights will make a difference

You are building Muscle
    how is she doing that?
  • baileycallen
    Options
    It said I should eat 2344 cals a day. That just seems so high for weight loss......

but you're a big girl.. and you're young. i'm a bit smaller than you and older than you and my maintenance is around 2800 calories so technically i could lose a pound a week eating 2300 calories, so it's not to much of a stretch to think you could too.

in any case, i would lean towards thinking you're eating more than you think you are. unfortunately the MFP database isn't always the most accurate. plus if you arent weighing things you dont know for sure. also little things like differences between cooked and precooked weights will make a difference

You are building Muscle
    how is she doing that?

I just dont understand how I could lose eating 2100-2300 cals a day, when I cannot really lose eating 1200-1400. Even if I am eating more then I think, it still wouldnt be adding up to more then 2300 cals, so I should still be losing. Especially because I do weigh my food.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    You are building Muscle as you lose Fat so it is possible that is why you don't see much weight loss.

This is inaccurate because you don't gain muscle at a calorie deficit. It also takes a lot of time to build muscle.