Starving on diet while breastfeeding!!

Options
Hi guys.
I have a 3 month old daughter who I breastfeed exclusively. I also pump even though I am a stay at home Mom, but usually only in the morning, because I have so much extra, and I want to have some milk stored. Anyway, I got back to my pre pregnancy weight in about 2 months time. Then I stopped losing weight there. So, I decided to cut my calories down. I cut them down to 1400-1500 a day, on top of working out every night. I WAS eating about 1800-1900 a day and working out, but I just maintained for 2 weeks.
After 3 days of the 1400-1500 calories a day- I finally lost another pound!! I am now 140lbs @ 5'9, with a goal of 125lbs. My only issue was how HUNGRY I've been by the time I go to bed. I lay in bed tossing and turning all night trying to ignore the fact that I am absolutely starving!! I actually didn't sleep at all last night, because the hunger kept me awake. Is this just because I need to get used to less calories? Or should I be eating more? It just seems I have to starve like this to lose weight, and it sucks! The weird thing is, I could eat 1200 a day before being pregnant, and be fine.
Kellymom.com said you can eat 1500 calories a day and still breastfeed, so I don't know why I am having a problem.
Any help?

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Exclusive breast feeding burns about 500 extra a day so if you're only eating 1400 you're only netting 900. Eat a bit more, you don't want your supply to suffer. When I was exclusively BF I was losing fine on 1700.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Hi guys.
    I have a 3 month old daughter who I breastfeed exclusively. I also pump even though I am a stay at home Mom, but usually only in the morning, because I have so much extra, and I want to have some milk stored. Anyway, I go back to my pre pregnancy weight in about 2 months time. Then I stopped losing weight there. So, I decided to cut my calories down. I cut them down to 1400-1500 a day, on top of working out every night. I WAS eating about 1800-1900 a day and working out, but I just maintained for 2 weeks.
    After 3 days of the 1400-1500 calories a day- I finally lost another pound!! I am now 140lbs @ 5'9, with a goal of 125lbs. My only issue was how HUNGRY Iive been by the time I go to bed. I lay in bed tossing and turning all night trying to ignore the fact that I am absolutely starving!! I actually didn't sleep at all last night, because the hunger kept me awake. Is this just because I need to get used to less calories? Or should I be eating more? It just seems I have to starve like this to lose weight, and it sucks! The weird thing is, I could eat 1200 a day before being pregnant, and be fine.
    Kellymom.com said you can eat 1500 calories a day and still breastfeed, so I don't know why I am having a problem.
    Any help?

You're exclusively breastfeeding and working out every night, and only eating 1400-1500 calories a day? No wonder you're so hungry at night. At 5'9 and 140lbs your BMI is 20.7, so you're nowhere near overweight, so I don't see the desperate rush to lose as much as possible. If you're losing a pound every 3 days, then your aim is to lose 2lbs a week? 1lbs a week is fine. In fact, given yor BMI, 0.5lbs a week is fine.

Eat more, and don't let your supply suffer. And I speak as a mum who struggled with supply for both my children, and saw my son lose 30% of his birth weight.

I'm pregnant now, and if I'm successful breastfeeding this one, you can bet I won't be starving myself!.
  • servilia
    Options
    Ooh I missed the part about you working out every night. You're definitely not eating enough then.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding burns calories so eat those calories back and your kid comes first, so you got to eat so your supply wont run dry.
  • heatherxmichelle
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I can't seem to find the right caloric intake for myself to lose while breastfeeding. How much time should I give a certain amount before I try a new one?
    I guess there really is no huge rush to lose weight, but I'm just scared of gaining. It also gets discouraging working out every night and not seeing results.
    I used to lose weight with an ED which I over came the moment I became pregnant with my daughter. So this whole losing weight the right way thing is very new to me. I did great at gaining steadily while pregnant! I just don't know how to lose steadily now that I'm not.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    The answer is fairly obvious here... :huh:

Feed yourself. SMH

Edit: In light of new information....Please seek professional help.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I can't seem to find the right caloric intake for myself to lose while breastfeeding. How much time should I give a certain amount before I try a new one?
    I guess there really is no huge rush to lose weight, but I'm just scared of gaining. It also gets discouraging working out every night and not seeing results.
    I used to lose weight with an ED which I over came the moment I became pregnant with my daughter. So this whole losing weight the right way thing is very new to me. I did great at gaining steadily while pregnant! I just don't know how to lose steadily now that I'm not.

You haven't gotten over your ED. Please see a counselor and talk to your doctor as well.
  • heatherxmichelle
    Options

You haven't gotten over your ED. Please see a counselor and talk to your doctor as well.

Well that's a little harsh. I certainly have! That's why I'm here asking how to eat right so that I'm not starving at night. I only did so for 3 days while intaking 1500 calories. The old me wouldn't dare take in over 300! I'm eating clean and working out. And since this is my first baby, I'm new to breastfeeding as well.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Well that's a little harsh. I certainly have! That's why I'm here asking how to eat right so that I'm not starving at night. I only did so for 3 days while intaking 1500 calories. The old me wouldn't dare take in over 300! I'm eating clean and working out. And since this is my first baby, I'm new to breastfeeding as well.

Women who are breastfeeding need to be eating more. Speak to your doctor and/or a dietitian.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Given that you had an ED my suggestion would be a dietician. Tell them what you want, and they can help you. As for trying to lose weight, if you are back to your pre pregnancy weight you should be happy. Enjoy your child and being a mum, you have limited time with them as babies. My baby is on his last day of kindy tomorrow and big school next year. You don't believe how fast it goes until it is gone. Enjoy being a mum, love who you are and what your body has done and the rest will happen in its own time. Don't jeopardize your supply just for a number on a machine!
    Best of luck
  • heatherxmichelle
    Options
    I only ate the 1500 for 3 days, and got that number from kellymom.com...
  • heatherxmichelle
    Options
    Given that you had an ED my suggestion would be a dietician. Tell them what you want, and they can help you. As for trying to lose weight, if you are back to your pre pregnancy weight you should be happy. Enjoy your child and being a mum, you have limited time with them as babies. My baby is on his last day of kindy tomorrow and big school next year. You don't believe how fast it goes until it is gone. Enjoy being a mum, love who you are and what your body has done and the rest will happen in its own time. Don't jeopardize your supply just for a number on a machine!
    Best of luck
    Thank you for your sweet response :)
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options

You deserve to be as happy and healthy as you can be. Your baby needs you to be healthy so he/she can be healthy. If you are not sleeping due to hunger there are a few issues here. Sleep is essential to your overall health and eating the appropriate amount of calories is a must for both of you. If you are recovering from an eating disorder and this is your first pregnancy, why not talk to a dietician? You and your little one are worth the time and caution. Having professional support during your transition might take some of the stress off.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

You have a funny definition of the word harsh.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and take into account your breastfeeding, and take it from there. Sometimes when you bf, you maintain a little bit of body fat to help, so don't be disheartened if your body hangs on to a bit until you stop. Not that you can have that much body fat!

Don't aim to lose loads at once, just a little at a time. Enjoy your baby. Children won't remember how skinny we are, they'll remember a mum who was happy and spent time with them. I regret spending so much of my daughter's first few months depressed over my weight and spending ages at the gym.

Perhaps it would be wise to talk to someone regarding your ED as well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A goal of 125 at 5ft9 is very low... and 1500 calories when you work out and breast feed is not enough!
  • servilia
    Options
    I only ate the 1500 for 3 days, and got that number from kellymom.com...

What Kellymom says:

"Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake. (See Can I diet while breastfeeding? for more information on calorie restriction)."

Note it says most should stay at the high end of the range. I suspect the smaller amount is meant for very short women which you are not.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Sorry, girl. You don't "get over an ED." You recover, you manage, but you always have an ED.

Your unhealthy weight goal and failure to properly nourish yourself is certainly proof you still need to be working with a professional.

I've done the ignorant self-deluding, too. "Well, I'm eating way more now than I was before! I'm recovered!" ... on 1000 calories a day.

Seek professional help. Focus on your baby.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I agree, your ED mindset never really goes away. That's apparent by the fact that you want to weigh 125 at 5'9. I weigh 125 at 5'0 and wear a size 4 jean, have a healthy BMI, workout, etc. You're 9 inches taller than me. 140 at that height is definitely in the healthy range.

Focus on just being healthy for your baby, which you already are right now. Increase your calories, enjoy life, you can worry again if/when you start to gain weight.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Sorry, girl. You don't "get over an ED." You recover, you manage, but you always have an ED.

Your unhealthy weight goal and failure to properly nourish yourself is certainly proof you still need to be working with a professional.

I've done the ignorant self-deluding, too. "Well, I'm eating way more now than I was before! I'm recovered!" ... on 1000 calories a day.

Seek professional help. Focus on your baby.
    this^
    You are already at a low weight for your height...enjoy your beautiful baby and maybe focus on maintaining.