Need Help... :'( :cry:

Options
zd04
zd04 Posts: 1,160 Member
Hello every one.....
In advance I want to tell you that you all are allowed to scold me or be angry with me. As this is not my first time on MFP. I've been here for last 1 year. I used to be on track for 4 to 5 days and then again I start eating all the crap. Now-a-days my reading vacation is going on so being at my home all day, I use to eat very unhealthy things all the day. In the morning I decide not to eat which is not necessary but I end my day with ice creams, cookies and chocolates!!!! I know I want to lose weight, want to be in shape but my urge to eat food always overpowers my will!!!!:sad: :cry:
I don't know how to control or how to stay motivated!!!
Plz everyone help me to come out of this!!!

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Must there be snacks in the house? Children at home perhaps?
  • zd04
    zd04 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Actually I don't have kids...I am 21 and studying architecture and living with my parents
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out things you like (chocolate, cookies, ice cream) altogether - you'll crave them enough that eventually you'll crack and eat a whole tub of ice cream/packet of cookies/whatever. If I eat a couple of squares of dark chocolate most days, it fits in my calorie goals and stops me from eating a whole block once a fortnight when I crave it so much I have to have it. MFP is about changing your lifestyle so change it to something sustainable. And always eat breakfast, it's so important.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you make the decision to NOT eat the junk... or have one portion that fits in your calories... it really is that simple... you just have to do it.
  • morpheousneo
    morpheousneo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When you are truly ready for this journey, then you will find the willpower. It is not necessary to cut the 'bad' out of your diet. Just make sure you can fit it/them into your macros and exercise portion control. Maybe talk to parents about whether they can help you by not stocking certain foods in the house until you can find that willpower?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What you're dealing with is decision fatigue. In theory, we have a certain number of decisions we will make and when faced with too many we tire and our decision making gets worse. That is why it is easier to say no to junk in the morning but very hard at night.

To beat this, you need a plan. The easier you make it, the more compliant you will be.

Try a few of these things:
    - Write down your goals and review that list every morning and every afternoon.
    - Don't skip meals. Find out if eating 5-6 smaller meals, Intermittent Fasting, etc. works for you.
    - Try to plan your meals for the whole day in the morning.
    - Have pre-prepared heathy snacks available to grab when you feel the urge. I keep some paleo stix (jerkey), nuts, etc. around all the time for those moments.
    - Log your food as you go so you can see when you're about to bust it.
    - Take pictures of all the food you eat.
    - Find a friend or family member that will hold you accountable.
    - Build in cheat days/meals to reward yourself.
    - Don't beat yourself up when you have a bad day. Pick it up the next day and charge on.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    I think my diary is open to all members, but I doubt you will get much out of it.

See I still eat "bad" stuff - I just make sure it fits within my calories. If you have issues maybe try to create a portion which is some set amount of calories? Say 150-200? That should fit most diets and then you can eat one of them every other day or even every day.
  • yes_i_have_blu_eyes
    Options
    I agree with @TommyJensen19
  • ElegantSlenderChic
    Options
    Start by eating a protein filled healthy breakfast it helps keep you full throughout the day, water also helps diminish cravings. Plan your meals in advance and have fun with food, eat the foods you really enjoy but try to budget them into your target calories. Realise that losing weight is a long drawn out saga so don't expect instant results. Pamper yourself with good food, beauty treatments, good books, music, family and friends. For me, living life to the fullest helps me not to focus on food so much. Convince yourself that you can do this- if you can design buildings you can design a plan of action to get the body of your dreams. :flowerforyou:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I suggest beginning a regimen of healthier foods that will keep you fuller (lots of vegetables) and sated (protein and some good fats). Plan some really healthy but yummy meals; spend an afternoon cooking your week's meals ahead of time if that works best for your schedule. Push out the foods that get you into trouble. Combinations of sweet-salt-fat have been found to have an addictive quality in that rather than satisfying you, they make your body crave more. That's why food companies create so many processed foods around that combo.

Try whole foods that make you feel great. When you see your day as being full of things you can't do, of course you feel deprived and will slip up over and over. But if you fill your day with things you can do, it doesn't feel like you're deprived. As my nutritionist said learn to love your new foods. Treat yourself well to foods you like---but that also are lower in calories and good for you. oh yes, and drink water. a lot of the time what we think are hunger cravings are really just thirst.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Drink lots of water and eat foods that are filling, and try to keep your calories as high as possible (while still in a deficit) so that you are less likely to feel hungry and crave foods.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Create a plan for yourself. Write it down! Write it down in a notebook. Be very specific. "When I feel like eating ice cream, I will (a) first walk around the block twice, then (b) ...

Our brains are creatures of habit. It IS possible to teach ourselves new habits, but it takes hard work to do it. So your job is to figure out what you would like to have ad a new habit and then retrain your brain. Love yourself, love your brain, but know that you need to have a good plan to change from doing A to doing B. Write it down, write down your plans in detail and go for it!!!
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hello every one.....
    In advance I want to tell you that you all are allowed to scold me or be angry with me. As this is not my first time on MFP. I've been here for last 1 year. I used to be on track for 4 to 5 days and then again I start eating all the crap. Now-a-days my reading vacation is going on so being at my home all day, I use to eat very unhealthy things all the day. In the morning I decide not to eat which is not necessary but I end my day with ice creams, cookies and chocolates!!!! I know I want to lose weight, want to be in shape but my urge to eat food always overpowers my will!!!!:sad: :cry:
    I don't know how to control or how to stay motivated!!!
    Plz everyone help me to come out of this!!!

Where are you getting this food from?
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Your profile says it all. Check out Overeaters Anonyomous. Look for the LA group online and listen to their podcasts and visit aocal meeting / they are worldwide.
  • taramaraa
    Options
    I found the easiest way around that is to simply remove it from the house until I know I can restrain myself. Today, I bought candy canes for the Christmas Tree. Well that didn't go to plan. I ate three (as you can see in my diary). I thought I could restrain myself, I was wrong so got my man to throw them in the bin for me. If I can't restrain myself, it shouldn't be near me. I've got chocolate in the house. That's easy as I hate chocolate. But lollies aren't as easy! Neither is greasy food! I think all this having it once a week or once a fortnight doesn't work (personally, happy to be wrong however!), mostly because we weren't made to eat junk. We were made to digest mostly nuts, fruits, grains and vegetables. Some meats too, although not so much. Our bodies weren't designed to handle copious amounts of sugar (long term OR short term). You probably could eat under your calorie limit and eat just junk food, if you wanted, but your body isn't designed for that. Unfortunately, sugar is highly addictive and stupid to quit (since you still actually need healthy sugars in your diet, etc.). If this was an illicit drug, perhaps, having it in the house while you're trying to quit seems pretty stupid to me. It's just the same. It is a highly addictive substance, lets of feel-good-bugs in your body and you suffer withdrawals from quitting. The difference is, sugar is a food and we actually need food to live. So no, I don't think keeping your addictive substance in your pantry is actually beneficiary to your quitting.

However, don't cry! There is honestly no point beating yourself up about it, you haven't actually committed a crime and you will get SO MANY opportunities to make the right choice. You made a mistake, leave it in the past. The future isn't your past, so don't make the past your future either. Leave it and keep marching forward. You're inevitably going to turn left and right on your journey. And funnily enough, you have a reversing gear too, you're going to make mistakes. God loves you regardless of the mistakes you make because He made you perfect. You should love you too. :)
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    HI
    I exactly know how you are feeling.You are young,overweight, staying with parents,(may be pampered)I know how the Indian conditions for a teenage or early twentys girls.

Coming to the point, YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT..Yes or NO? If the answer is Yes just do what MFP says.

Dot think that I am forcing you,but overweight at your age,will have lot of bad effects on your body,like PCOD or hormonal imbalance which further lead to child conception in the future.You dot want it right?

You have such a cute baby face that I like it soooo much.with slim figure you look fabulous in Indian and western dresses.

Just understand about the weight loss.Here you have so many experienced friends, take the advice and act accordingly.It is very easy to lose weight at your age.Just do it baby..good luck GOD bless you.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Stop telling yourself you can't have the treats, work out your daily nutrition requirements and fit in a treat. When I tell myself no you can't eat ice cream for example all I will do is crave ice cream. So, if I plan for some then it's not an issue. I eat what fits in my day, I'm satisfied and much happier.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    From what I've learned from myself and others, if you really want it, you will put in the time and commitment to do it - no one else will do it for you.

A lot of my time is spent organising, buying, preparing, logging and finally eating food - not to mention hitting the gym, but I really want it so I do it because the results are way worth it.

I have eaten well today, and have around 400 cals left - so that's a wine for tonight! You shouldn't give up the things you love as ultimately this will hinder you. Cutting out completely my favourite foods has never worked for me.

You need to start having a breakfast - not having one will contribute to eating junk at night.

Good luck!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel- I have a lot of good days, but I also have days (more than once a week) where I do great all day and then blow it at night (like yesterday). I, like many others here, do fit treats and foods I like into my daily food routine, but sometimes the urge to snack/overeat is so strong... There are certain things I've learned I shouldn't have around me, despite my 'if it fits your macros' mentality, because I simply can't control myself. Reese's peanut butter cups (or bells, trees, or any nefarious fashion of the product) get me in trouble. I can stop after a serving, but I find myself going back for more later on. So... having said that:

PROTEIN. Seriously, protein. I try to make sure breakfast includes close to 20 grams; I find that I do better overall if I incorporate a good amount of protein in each meal, but breakfast is the template for the day. I usually have greek yogurt and oatmeal, or cottage cheese... sometimes eggs (I need 3 to feel satisfied) and that sets the standard for the day. It's key because it helps me to feel full enough to make good choices when approaching the next meal, as I'm not ravenous. When I'm *starving* I tend to reach for the less healthy options. In that state, if you offer me a choice of potato chips or fruit, I'm going for the chips, and I'm not stopping at a serving. Stupid, but that's the biochemical response (craving) from my body when I don't nourish myself properly.

Ultimately, you have to figure out what works best for you; what are your triggers, how do you feel when you eat certain foods, what foods work for you and what you should stay away from until you have a handle on things. Also- make one change at a time. Incrementalism is much easier to stick with than a complete overhaul.

Good Luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What you're dealing with is decision fatigue. In theory, we have a certain number of decisions we will make and when faced with too many we tire and our decision making gets worse. That is why it is easier to say no to junk in the morning but very hard at night.

To beat this, you need a plan. The easier you make it, the more compliant you will be.

Try a few of these things:
    - Write down your goals and review that list every morning and every afternoon.
    - Don't skip meals. Find out if eating 5-6 smaller meals, Intermittent Fasting, etc. works for you.
    - Try to plan your meals for the whole day in the morning.
    - Have pre-prepared heathy snacks available to grab when you feel the urge. I keep some paleo stix (jerkey), nuts, etc. around all the time for those moments.
    - Log your food as you go so you can see when you're about to bust it.
    - Take pictures of all the food you eat.
    - Find a friend or family member that will hold you accountable.
    - Build in cheat days/meals to reward yourself.
    - Don't beat yourself up when you have a bad day. Pick it up the next day and charge on.

this is a REALLY important thing to note- you have limited will power- at some point- you WILL run out of it. That's not abnormal- it doesn't make you useless or weak. (Although it's easy to feel defeated!)

Remember 2 things:
    1.) SELF DISCIPLINE IS A SKILL.
    No one is born being super self disciplined. It is not a natural talent- you must cultivate it and train it much like you would do for any other training aspect.
    2.) YOU CAN TRAIN IT AND GET BETTER AT IT!!!
    Start with something small- get used to saying NO. Change the something- one month say I'm going to only drink soda on the weekend- the next month- I'm only having dessert on Friday night- or I'm not having THIS dessert.

You don't' have to cut everything out- you can just start to limit yourself. What you need isn't the diet- it's the discipline- so work on developing that- slowly and in small steps- much like weight training- you don't come in on your first day and say I'm going to squat 3 plates- you start with the bar- and just PRACTICE using it. Flexing those muscles- the range of motion- what it feels like- and then slowly you progressively add weight- same thing with saying "NO" and making a more diligent schedule/logging effots with eating.

You can do it- I promise!