Low calorie puff pastry receipes

Options
Hi guys

Anyone got any receipes to make puff pastry with, but at a lower carb / calorie count than the usual stuff you can buy ready made?

Possibly stating the obvious but could I use brown flour / low fat butter?

Thanks!

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

Anyone got any receipes to make puff pastry with, but at a lower carb / calorie count than the usual stuff you can buy ready made?

Possibly stating the obvious but could I use brown flour / low fat butter?

Thanks!

I have never heard of low fat butter and would think that it depends very much, because of what is added to the butter to make it creamy. Whole wheat flour has the same calories as white flour. Since puff pastry is made by frying flour in butter and then boiling the dough after adding a liquid, I would say no, there is no way to make a low-cal puff pastry because all fat has 9 calorie a gram no matter if it is margarine, butter, olive oil or lard.
    Or do you mean the dough that is also called " Mille Feuille ".....that one is also made with a lot of butter and turns out really, really bad if you use something different . Baking is a much more exact " science " and it is not so easy for certain things to use substitutes....maybe you need to google " low cal puff pastry ".....
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of low fat butter and would think that it depends very much, because of what is added to the butter to make it creamy. Whole wheat flour has the same calories as white flour. Since puff pastry is made by frying flour in butter and then boiling the dough after adding a liquid, I would say no, there is no way to make a low-cal puff pastry because all fat has 9 calorie a gram no matter if it is margarine, butter, olive oil or lard.

Puff pastry is not made by frying flour in butter and then boiling it. It's made by first mixing flour, salt and water into a dough, and then rolling the butter into the dough by folding it, that's how you get the layers. Anyway, it's flour, and butter, and low fat is not going to work because you want the butter there to create the layers. Enjoy the buttery goodness and eat less is my approach to puff pastry. Also, margarine based puff pastry tastes different and is not worth it for me!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    MHO, just would not be the same thing, and not worth the effort. Some things were not meant to be tampered with.

Why not just limit yourself to a bite or two.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Puff pastry is not made by frying flour in butter and then boiling it. It's made by first mixing flour, salt and water into a dough, and then rolling the butter into the dough by folding it, that's how you get the layers. Anyway, it's flour, and butter, and low fat is not going to work because you want the butter there to create the layers. Enjoy the buttery goodness and eat less is my approach to puff pastry. Also, margarine based puff pastry tastes different and is not worth it for me!

I already corrected my post, but believe that puff pastry is even more difficult to make " low-cal " , because there is is no way to make it without butter. I agree with you, making it with anything but butter is not worth the effort.
    Btw: we call puff pastry a dough that is boiled and then piped on a baking sheet to make for example a " Paris -Brest " or something similar to a short cake that is filled with cream and strawberries.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options

I already corrected my post, but believe that puff pastry is even more difficult to make " low-cal " , because there is is no way to make it without butter. I agree with you, making it with anything but butter is not worth the effort.
    Btw: we call puff pastry a dough that is boiled and then piped on a baking sheet to make for example a " Paris -Brest " or something similar to a short cake that is filled with cream and strawberries.
    That technique is called Pate a Choux or Choux Paste and not Puff Pastry.......both are French and not interchangeable.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    Okay thanks guys for your help

I wanted to make quorn mince parcels using pastry but could use egg whites instead