Too much Fiber...I think this is my problem!

Options
kistinbee
kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
Okay...this is a LONG article, but for anyone who has been reading about my current issue, I think this may have something to do with it. So...read up! This is good to know!!!! :flowerforyou:

Too Much Fiber?
Tuesday, April 01, 2008Tara Gidus, MS, RD, CSSD, LD/N

Have you ever thought about whether you are eating too MUCH fiber? Most people probably don't have this problem, but it could be a problem if you are eating some of the very tasty new high fiber products on the market. One of my clients asked me this the other day, following a discussion we had on how yummy the new Fiber One granola bars are. These Fiber One bars a tasty 140 calories with 9 grams of fiber. I am also a fan of the new AllBran bars, which have 10 grams of fiber in each 120 calorie bar. We also have to mention my other favorite bar, the Gnu Foods Flavor and Fiber bar which has 140 calories and 12 grams of fiber. They are so tasty I have to remind myself not to eat more than one per day. If you have one of these bars for a few of your snacks every day, plus some high fiber cereal for breakfast, beans for lunch, and all of your other whole grains and fruits and vegetables, you are well on your way to 40-50 grams of fiber per day!

The mention of cereal brings me to another new treat I just discovered: Fiber One Carmel Delight cereal, which is quite tasty and has 9 grams of fiber per 1 cup serving. I often eat AllBran or Fiber One or some other high fiber cereal like Kashi, Shredded Wheat or oatmeal for breakfast. And we all know my love for beans. Allbran has even come out with Fiber Drink Mix, which has 10 grams in each powdered packet that you can add to water.

How much fiber should I get?
It is estimated that most Americans only get 12-15 grams of fiber per day. This is not nearly enough.
Adequate Intake Recommendations:
Women <50>50 years: 21 grams
Men <50>50 years: 30 grams

How much is too much?
As with anything, moderation is always best, even with 'healthy' foods like high fiber foods. I have seen clients before who are actually eating so much fiber that they are constipated! If you don't drink enough water along with your fiber, fiber can actually cause a blockage, and sometimes it can be very serious and require surgery. This is rare, but if you are a big fiber eater, make sure you are also an avid water drinker.

Effects of too much fiber:
Gas, diarrhea, general abdominal discomfort, constipation, possible blockages, or the need for urgent movements. Some research points to the inability to absorb certain nutrients, but other research refutes that.

I am not exactly sure how much is too much, but I am inclined to say anything above 50 grams per day may be a bit much. Try to stay less than 45 grams and you should be clear of any of these side effects.

Happy chewing!

Too Much Fiber? Part Two: The Symptoms and What to Do About Them!
by Dr. Leonard Smith for BodyEcology.com

Not sure if eating vegetables will cause flatulence and bloating? Find out how to get the right balance so that you can feel your best!

20 to 40 grams of fiber daily are an essential part of a healthy diet! But if you're starting to eat more fiber, you may be experiencing some digestive distress. This week we'll cover what to do when you have too much fiber.

Too Much Fiber?

Gas and bloating can be a common by-product of upping your fiber intake.

Add fermented foods and drinks to the mix, and you might even say that your symptoms are worse, not better!

Making healthy changes takes time, and symptoms like gas and bloating could initially be part of your healing process. In fact, flatulence and bloating can be caused by too much OR too little fiber.

If you are adding fermented foods and drinks like raw, cultured vegetables and Coco-Biotic to your diet, you could also experience flatulence and bloating due to the action of healthy microflora battling the pathogenic microflora in your intestines.

Of course, it always helps to have some guidance on why things might be happening. This is especially true when you experience gas pain and bloating. Keep in mind that while some gurgling in your stomach and intestines is normal, you don't have to be in pain!

Leonard Smith, M.D., is a renowned gastrointestinal, vascular and general surgeon and an expert in the use of nutrition and natural supplementation. As a surgeon, Dr. Smith has first-hand experience of the problems associated with faulty digestion and the surgical necessities they can cause.

For the past 20 years, Dr. Smith has investigated many holistic medical programs, including nutrition, exercise, chelation, stress management and the relevance of mental and spiritual attitudes in healing. Acknowledging the effectiveness of whole organic foods and nutritional supplementation, Dr. Smith strives to stay on the leading edge of research and breakthroughs in the field of functional nutrition.

Fiber Rich Foods and the Body Ecology Principles

The Principle of Step by Step

Any time you begin something new (like eating more fiber rich foods, trying fermented foods and drinks, or starting to exercise) it's very important to go slowly and make small changes over time.

The Principle of Step by Step encourages you to gradually increase your fiber intake over a period of time. If you currently get 10 to 15 grams of fiber per day, try to increase your daily intake by 2 or 3 grams and see how you feel. If you have no digestive distress, go ahead and add another 2 or 3 grams of fiber to your diet.

Before you know it, you'll be getting a full 20 to 40 grams per day with minimal gas and bloating!

The Principle of Balance

Remember, too, that your body will always seek balance. Honor your body's own wisdom and physical cues. It wants to heal and has the ability to do so, if you step out of its way and listen.

Some days you might eat more fiber, and some days you might eat less. Trust that your body will let you know what it needs for healing and nutrition.

The Principle of Uniqueness

Every person is unique and has different nutritional needs, regardless of established guidelines. You may find that you need more or less fiber than someone else, and that's OK! You are an "experiment of one," and you may need some time to find out what exactly works for you. Even more interesting, your body's needs may change over time.

If you want to introduce fiber and fermented foods and drinks at the same time, make sure you give your body time to adjust and take it step by step.

Keep in mind these principles and you'll give your body the nourishment it needs to stay healthy and strong.

Ready, Aim, Fiber!

So, you're ready to add fiber rich foods (slowly) to your diet and want to do it without having digestive pain or bloating?

Here are some guidelines to get you started:

Gradually build up your fiber intake.
Increase your water intake as you increase fiber consumption.
Exercise more to encourage peristaltic action in your colon. Yoga, walking and rebounding all help your colon function.
Try colon hydrotherapy to hydrate your colon and teach your colon how to contract again.
Too much soluble fiber can cause flatulence. If you're eating a lot of nuts, flax seedsand carrots, then you might experience excess gas.
If you experience constipation then try a magnesium supplement. Peter Gilliam's CALM or Magna Calm are two powders that can be taken by adults and children to help with optimum bowel function.
Other types of magnesium supplements that Body Ecology recommends are: magnesium chloride from the Pain and Stress Center in Texas and Magesium Asparate capsules from your health food store. Take 400-1600 mg per day to help you relax and to help your bowels move on a regular basis.

Fiber Is Your Friend

Fiber rich foods help ease elimination, enhance detoxification and can protect you from cancer, heart disease and diabetes.

And you don't have to be afraid of getting too much fiber. But as you start to add fiber rich foods to support your healthy lifestyle, you can do it in a way that is comfortable and nourishing.

Replies

• kistinbee
    Options
    Okay...this is a LONG article, but for anyone who has been reading about my current issue, I think this may have something to do with it. So...read up! This is good to know!!!! :flowerforyou:

Too Much Fiber?
    Tuesday, April 01, 2008Tara Gidus, MS, RD, CSSD, LD/N

Have you ever thought about whether you are eating too MUCH fiber? Most people probably don't have this problem, but it could be a problem if you are eating some of the very tasty new high fiber products on the market. One of my clients asked me this the other day, following a discussion we had on how yummy the new Fiber One granola bars are. These Fiber One bars a tasty 140 calories with 9 grams of fiber. I am also a fan of the new AllBran bars, which have 10 grams of fiber in each 120 calorie bar. We also have to mention my other favorite bar, the Gnu Foods Flavor and Fiber bar which has 140 calories and 12 grams of fiber. They are so tasty I have to remind myself not to eat more than one per day. If you have one of these bars for a few of your snacks every day, plus some high fiber cereal for breakfast, beans for lunch, and all of your other whole grains and fruits and vegetables, you are well on your way to 40-50 grams of fiber per day!

The mention of cereal brings me to another new treat I just discovered: Fiber One Carmel Delight cereal, which is quite tasty and has 9 grams of fiber per 1 cup serving. I often eat AllBran or Fiber One or some other high fiber cereal like Kashi, Shredded Wheat or oatmeal for breakfast. And we all know my love for beans. Allbran has even come out with Fiber Drink Mix, which has 10 grams in each powdered packet that you can add to water.

How much fiber should I get?
    It is estimated that most Americans only get 12-15 grams of fiber per day. This is not nearly enough.
    Adequate Intake Recommendations:
    Women <50>50 years: 21 grams
    Men <50>50 years: 30 grams

How much is too much?
    As with anything, moderation is always best, even with 'healthy' foods like high fiber foods. I have seen clients before who are actually eating so much fiber that they are constipated! If you don't drink enough water along with your fiber, fiber can actually cause a blockage, and sometimes it can be very serious and require surgery. This is rare, but if you are a big fiber eater, make sure you are also an avid water drinker.

Effects of too much fiber:
    Gas, diarrhea, general abdominal discomfort, constipation, possible blockages, or the need for urgent movements. Some research points to the inability to absorb certain nutrients, but other research refutes that.

I am not exactly sure how much is too much, but I am inclined to say anything above 50 grams per day may be a bit much. Try to stay less than 45 grams and you should be clear of any of these side effects.

Happy chewing!

Too Much Fiber? Part Two: The Symptoms and What to Do About Them!
    by Dr. Leonard Smith for BodyEcology.com

Not sure if eating vegetables will cause flatulence and bloating? Find out how to get the right balance so that you can feel your best!

20 to 40 grams of fiber daily are an essential part of a healthy diet! But if you're starting to eat more fiber, you may be experiencing some digestive distress. This week we'll cover what to do when you have too much fiber.

Too Much Fiber?

Gas and bloating can be a common by-product of upping your fiber intake.

Add fermented foods and drinks to the mix, and you might even say that your symptoms are worse, not better!

Making healthy changes takes time, and symptoms like gas and bloating could initially be part of your healing process. In fact, flatulence and bloating can be caused by too much OR too little fiber.

If you are adding fermented foods and drinks like raw, cultured vegetables and Coco-Biotic to your diet, you could also experience flatulence and bloating due to the action of healthy microflora battling the pathogenic microflora in your intestines.

Of course, it always helps to have some guidance on why things might be happening. This is especially true when you experience gas pain and bloating. Keep in mind that while some gurgling in your stomach and intestines is normal, you don't have to be in pain!

Leonard Smith, M.D., is a renowned gastrointestinal, vascular and general surgeon and an expert in the use of nutrition and natural supplementation. As a surgeon, Dr. Smith has first-hand experience of the problems associated with faulty digestion and the surgical necessities they can cause.

For the past 20 years, Dr. Smith has investigated many holistic medical programs, including nutrition, exercise, chelation, stress management and the relevance of mental and spiritual attitudes in healing. Acknowledging the effectiveness of whole organic foods and nutritional supplementation, Dr. Smith strives to stay on the leading edge of research and breakthroughs in the field of functional nutrition.

Fiber Rich Foods and the Body Ecology Principles

The Principle of Step by Step

Any time you begin something new (like eating more fiber rich foods, trying fermented foods and drinks, or starting to exercise) it's very important to go slowly and make small changes over time.

The Principle of Step by Step encourages you to gradually increase your fiber intake over a period of time. If you currently get 10 to 15 grams of fiber per day, try to increase your daily intake by 2 or 3 grams and see how you feel. If you have no digestive distress, go ahead and add another 2 or 3 grams of fiber to your diet.

Before you know it, you'll be getting a full 20 to 40 grams per day with minimal gas and bloating!

The Principle of Balance

Remember, too, that your body will always seek balance. Honor your body's own wisdom and physical cues. It wants to heal and has the ability to do so, if you step out of its way and listen.

Some days you might eat more fiber, and some days you might eat less. Trust that your body will let you know what it needs for healing and nutrition.

The Principle of Uniqueness

Every person is unique and has different nutritional needs, regardless of established guidelines. You may find that you need more or less fiber than someone else, and that's OK! You are an "experiment of one," and you may need some time to find out what exactly works for you. Even more interesting, your body's needs may change over time.

If you want to introduce fiber and fermented foods and drinks at the same time, make sure you give your body time to adjust and take it step by step.

Keep in mind these principles and you'll give your body the nourishment it needs to stay healthy and strong.

Ready, Aim, Fiber!

So, you're ready to add fiber rich foods (slowly) to your diet and want to do it without having digestive pain or bloating?

Here are some guidelines to get you started:

Gradually build up your fiber intake.
    Increase your water intake as you increase fiber consumption.
    Exercise more to encourage peristaltic action in your colon. Yoga, walking and rebounding all help your colon function.
    Try colon hydrotherapy to hydrate your colon and teach your colon how to contract again.
    Too much soluble fiber can cause flatulence. If you're eating a lot of nuts, flax seedsand carrots, then you might experience excess gas.
    If you experience constipation then try a magnesium supplement. Peter Gilliam's CALM or Magna Calm are two powders that can be taken by adults and children to help with optimum bowel function.
    Other types of magnesium supplements that Body Ecology recommends are: magnesium chloride from the Pain and Stress Center in Texas and Magesium Asparate capsules from your health food store. Take 400-1600 mg per day to help you relax and to help your bowels move on a regular basis.

Fiber Is Your Friend

Fiber rich foods help ease elimination, enhance detoxification and can protect you from cancer, heart disease and diabetes.

And you don't have to be afraid of getting too much fiber. But as you start to add fiber rich foods to support your healthy lifestyle, you can do it in a way that is comfortable and nourishing.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    So it is the FiberOne bars that's been causing my little issue...thanks so much for posting this!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    i don't eat anything with added fiber (all those bars have added fiber, even if it's not obvious) - and get about 45-55 grams a day. I want to know if anyone out there can eat 9 servings of fruits/veggies & all whole grains & not get this much.
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thak you for posting it, it was very interesting to me. :love:
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Yeh, I found out awhile ago this is my profile. I have a fiber one bar a day.. and I eat tons of veggies and fruit... which are good for me but my body has tons of gas. I don't understand one thing though cause I drink about 100oz of water per day... but I'm not constipated and if I feel like I might be, I drink me a dieter's tea! lol
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It might be one of mine. My tummy has been so sore the last 5 days, just achey all the time. I keep telling myself it will go away the next day, but it is still there. I don't have insurance so the doctors out but I am concidering going and buying something that will flush my system or finging foods that will.
  • kistinbee
    Options
    BUMP