Keep gaining and losing the same 3 lbs

Options
I lost 60 lbs on WW in 2012 and gained 15 or so back this year. I've been trying to lose this 15 since Sept and I can't seem to do it. I keep gaining and losing the same 3 lbs over and over. So frustrating! I'm logging everything, I have and use my food scale all the time, work out 5 days a week. Any suggestions?

I shoot for 1400 calories and try to eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories. I am almost always under the weekly goal ( I think every week but one). I also have a fitbit one.
I am 5'2, 160 lbs. Thanks for any ideas! I am thinking about switching back to WW because it worked for me, but I like the MFP app so much better.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? What I suspect is your are underestimating calories in and over estimating calories out.

On a side note, I would recommend replace some carbs with more protein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    By "workout", has it been the same routine for awhile? Like 2 months or more? If so, then body has adapted to that workout and you'll need to do something either more intense or entirely different to stimulate other muscles that aren't being taxed with your current routine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? What I suspect is your are underestimating calories in and over estimating calories out.

I do use a food scale. I have been trying to leave a "buffer" of 100-200 calories per day in case of a calorie discrepancy. What carb/protein mix would you suggest?
  • jyvonne27
    Options
    By "workout", has it been the same routine for awhile? Like 2 months or more? If so, then body has adapted to that workout and you'll need to do something either more intense or entirely different to stimulate other muscles that aren't being taxed with your current routine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I was changing it up until this last week. Since last week I gave been just doing elliptical or walking as I was in an accident and my back hurts. I can't do the weights and zumba I had been doing. But in the past I would vary between heavy weights, circuit training, kickboxing, zumba, running, stair master, elliptical and body weight strength training.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I do use a food scale. I have been trying to leave a "buffer" of 100-200 calories per day in case of a calorie discrepancy. What carb/protein mix would you suggest?

One less carbs will store less water but more importantly, protein is the essential building block for muscle repair and growth as well as muscle retention. Ideally, you want to minimize muscle loss and maximize fat loss. You do this with higher levels of protein (.8 - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass) and resistance training. More muscle = leaner body.

How do you measure your exercise calories? Also, what is your per week weight loss goal set to
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Try HIIT treadmill training(warm up 5 mins, 1 min sprint, 90 sec speed walk and repeat 7times, then cool,down)! Great fat blaster . Also, weight training 3-4 /wk.(checkout Jamie Easons free 90 day workout plan, helpful videos, foods, recipes etc). and drink water, half your body weight per day, also, watch salt intake. Try cutting complex carbs and eating more dark greens like kale, spinach, etc. check your macros...(ratio,of carb, fat and proteins)! Great app here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

It may be time to up cals a bit too, I am about ur same size and took metabolic test at gym and I'm suppose to consume 1900 a day based on my activity level and condition. I just adjusted them down after a year , to 1700. Just keep logging and tracking ur changes. Measure ur inches , and ur body fat too,ur body composition will change with weight lifting and u will drop inches and body fat. U won't see that on scale.
    Good luck, Shannon. Atl
  • sillyshamrock11
    sillyshamrock11 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also lost my weight with WW and exercise. I'm still currently doing WW (lifetime member) and I also track here because I like to see my calorie intake compared to my points. I have a daily points target of 26 and a calorie intake of 1,200. I always use all of my extra weekly points and dip a little into my activity points. Unless I have a super bad week (Thanksgiving for example!), I tend to lose each week. If you aren't still doing WW, I would def suggest going back. It obviously worked for you in the past, and I'm just a big fan of it and will always promote when I can. Try tracking in both places. I find it works well because it helps me stay in my points range, but if I'm short on my calorie intake, I'll eat more 0 point foods like fruits and veggies. Also, what are you doing for workouts? I'm a cardio junkie so I run, do Spin class, and Step Aerobics. I interchange all of those throughout the week and also try to lift weights whenever possible to help tone as well. Hopefully this was helpful for you! Good luck :smile:

10502468.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jyvonne27
    Options

One less carbs will store less water but more importantly, protein is the essential building block for muscle repair and growth as well as muscle retention. Ideally, you want to minimize muscle loss and maximize fat loss. You do this with higher levels of protein (.8 - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass) and resistance training. More muscle = leaner body.

How do you measure your exercise calories? Also, what is your per week weight loss goal set to

I measure exercise by what MFP/the exercise machine/my fitbit says. Goal is set to 1lb per week. I may try upping the protein and lowering the carbs.
  • jyvonne27
    Options
    I also lost my weight with WW and exercise. I'm still currently doing WW (lifetime member) and I also track here because I like to see my calorie intake compared to my points. I have a daily points target of 26 and a calorie intake of 1,200. I always use all of my extra weekly points and dip a little into my activity points. Unless I have a super bad week (Thanksgiving for example!), I tend to lose each week. If you aren't still doing WW, I would def suggest going back. It obviously worked for you in the past, and I'm just a big fan of it and will always promote when I can. Try tracking in both places. I find it works well because it helps me stay in my points range, but if I'm short on my calorie intake, I'll eat more 0 point foods like fruits and veggies. Also, what are you doing for workouts? I'm a cardio junkie so I run, do Spin class, and Step Aerobics. I interchange all of those throughout the week and also try to lift weights whenever possible to help tone as well. Hopefully this was helpful for you! Good luck :smile:

10502468.png

I think I might go back at the start of the year if I can't get some progress with MFP. I am lifetime too but I'm over so I'd have to pay. Thanks for the input
  • scparke2
    scparke2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

WOW you sound just like and I would have given the same answer!

10502468.png
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

I measure exercise by what MFP/the exercise machine/my fitbit says. Goal is set to 1lb per week. I may try upping the protein and lowering the carbs.

Exercise machines and MFP overestimate calories burned. I am unsure how accurate the fitbit is. For cardio, I recommend a HRM, and update it with every 5 lbs weight change for accuracy.
  • jyvonne27
    Options
    Try HIIT treadmill training(warm up 5 mins, 1 min sprint, 90 sec speed walk and repeat 7times, then cool,down)! Great fat blaster . Also, weight training 3-4 /wk.(checkout Jamie Easons free 90 day workout plan, helpful videos, foods, recipes etc). and drink water, half your body weight per day, also, watch salt intake. Try cutting complex carbs and eating more dark greens like kale, spinach, etc. check your macros...(ratio,of carb, fat and proteins)! Great app here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

It may be time to up cals a bit too, I am about ur same size and took metabolic test at gym and I'm suppose to consume 1900 a day based on my activity level and condition. I just adjusted them down after a year , to 1700. Just keep logging and tracking ur changes. Measure ur inches , and ur body fat too,ur body composition will change with weight lifting and u will drop inches and body fat. U won't see that on scale.
    Good luck, Shannon. Atl

I can't do the running or weights with my back, I do get at least 80oz water a day though. I think upping my calories would cause me to gain even more? Thanks for the input.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Good luck, Shannon. Atl

I can't do the running or weights with my back, I do get at least 80oz water a day though. I think upping my calories would cause me to gain even more? Thanks for the input.

Can you do body weight exercise? Can you open your food diary? And do you have any medical conditions (PCOS, hypothyroidism, etc..)
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Bumping to read later :)
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I had the same issue, but I wasn't really being completely honest with myself, and was eating more calories than my allowance, but when I went back to my allowance, and upped my water intake, the lb's soon came off. I aim for 3 litres of water a day.