Burpees

Options
Do you like them? I'm trying to find more home exercises, as my trail to my park is a snowy mess. However, attempting burpees, sit ups, push ups, etc make me feel self-loathing. Halfway or even to start I always feel like "What did I do to deserve this?!" kind of feeling rise up and I hate it. I love weight lifting, I don't even mind my Just Dance game on the PS4 but I would like to do an exercise that works more during my off lifting days. Is the dread normal? Do you get over it? Maybe throwing on some music will calm me down...

Replies

• shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    Have you tried any of the interval routines on Fitnessblender? Some include burpees (some don't), but the nice thing is that each exercise is all out but for a limited duration. The challenge of it and the way you're constantly moving on to the next thing is what helps me to enjoy it more than I would just doing X number of burpees, X number of mountain climbers, etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love burpees... I think they are great.

They are brutal- after about 15-25 I'm like WHY am I DOING THIS.

I used to have a break down of the mental process of dealing with them LOL

I do them in one or two ways-
    either set a number and do sets of 10 or 15 (like I did 250 once- and I did them exclusively in sets of 10)
    or set a timer- so like 1 minute

I used to do a lot of interval training- so 50 seconds work- 10 seconds rest- for 12-15 minutes you can get a slamming work out and rotate through only a few exercises.

Example 15 minute workout
    three times through- do for 50 seconds each- or just one minute -whatever you want- I typically did a 50 work /10 rest split

Burpees
    Push ups
    Jump Lunges
    Tricep Dips
    Mountain Climbers
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'll look that up! Thank you :) Maybe that's why I hate them so much. I treat them in sets and reps like lifting but it's not as much fun to me lol
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    I love burpees... I think they are great.

They are brutal- after about 15-25 I'm like WHY am I DOING THIS.

I used to have a break down of the mental process of dealing with them LOL

I do them in one or two ways-
    either set a number and do sets of 10 or 15 (like I did 250 once- and I did them exclusively in sets of 10)
    or set a timer- so like 1 minute

I used to do a lot of interval training- so 50 seconds work- 10 seconds rest- for 12-15 minutes you can get a slamming work out and rotate through only a few exercises.

Example 15 minute workout
    three times through- do for 50 seconds each- or just one minute -whatever you want- I typically did a 50 work /10 rest split

Burpees
    Push ups
    Jump Lunges
    Tricep Dips
    Mountain Climbers

Okay, so more structure. I suppose too it would be helpful to make it a challenge to continuously beat a previous record. I'm fairly competitive by nature so instead of seeing as complete misery, maybe I can talk myself through it
  • JoRocka
    Options

Okay, so more structure. I suppose too it would be helpful to make it a challenge to continuously beat a previous record. I'm fairly competitive by nature so instead of seeing as complete misery, maybe I can talk myself through it

yeah doing them endless with no end in mind would make me crazy too!

Structure is good.

I like the way listed above because you can sub any exercise out for anything else- make it more lower or more upper body heavy... or just go whole body... AND the 10 second break is JUST enough to write down your score (so you can beat it next time!!!)- suck wind and start again. 12 is OKAY- and 15 seconds is WAY to long if you are in any kind of shape at all.

Also-you can split it into three five minute sessions to if that feels overwhelming

keep in mind- you don't get good at doing this- you just suck less :D

(free interval/HIIT timers on almost all smart phone operating systems will help with this process!!)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

yeah doing them endless with no end in mind would make me crazy too!

Structure is good.

I like the way listed above because you can sub any exercise out for anything else- make it more lower or more upper body heavy... or just go whole body... AND the 10 second break is JUST enough to write down your score (so you can beat it next time!!!)- suck wind and start again. 12 is OKAY- and 15 seconds is WAY to long if you are in any kind of shape at all.

Also-you can split it into three five minute sessions to if that feels overwhelming

keep in mind- you don't get good at doing this- you just suck less :D

(free interval/HIIT timers on almost all smart phone operating systems will help with this process!!)

Awesome! Thank you :P I will have to check out my app store for one. I wonder how accurate my HRM would be for HIIT? Assuming I stop it after the bursts? I find with my dancing games it seems a bit overestimated
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    **** burpees. I would rather punch myself in the balls twice than to do burpees.

I have nothing useful to add. I just hate burpees that much that I felt inclined to interject myself in this thread. Nothing to see here, carry on.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have a very love/hate with Burpees. I incorporate them into a circuit routine.

Burpees, Mtn. Climbers, Plank Jacks, Squat Jacks, Box Jumps, Jump Rope... all great home cardiio that you can rotate so it doesn't feel like death.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Good way to do burpees is 13-down:

KB Swingsx13, Burpeesx13,
    KB Swingsx12, Burpeesx12
    KB Swingsx1, Burpeesx1

Should take 7-11 minutes depending on how much rest you need between each Swing/Burpee superset. If you can blast through the lot without rest, up the weight of the KB next workout.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you :P I will have to check out my app store for one. I wonder how accurate my HRM would be for HIIT? Assuming I stop it after the bursts? I find with my dancing games it seems a bit overestimated

you're welcome. I used to be a complete HIIT junkie LOL I love it- it gets addicting.

From what I understand not very- but I don't use a HRM so I don't know- I'm not the person to ask. My impression is that HRM are most accurate for longer steady state cardio rather than almost any other type of work outs- but again- I'm not a monitor person.

There are free ones- I have android- and I have one that says HIIT Interval Training- and it's a box- brown boarder- white background with a man running.

Nice because it allows a warm up/cool down timer- I typically don't use them- but it is nice because sometimes I do if I"m doing no break intervals- like 30/30 splits.... either way if I have a rest period in there- I start with THAT... so it goes 10 seconds- allows me to prep then goes right into work- also means there is no 10 second lag at the end- if you set it up so you do the work first- rest second... when you finish your last set- it still goes off for 10 more seconds- which annoys me.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Loathe. With a passion
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    Fudged up quoting loool

Gotcha! I downloaded it :) . Will have to play with it tomorrow. Do you think doing HIIT prior to a lifting session beneficial? This has me considering just kewping my exercise 3x a week but maybe HIIT before my 5/3/1 sessions?
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I love them i think they're great overall body workout. They make strong agile and quick. They are difficult but who cares. I literally just did 15 at work.

Like JoRocka said - take it easy take it slow in the beginning. You do have to mentally prepare yourself and say........i'm going to kick *kitten* today lets do it.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    I love them i think they're great overall body workout. They make strong agile and quick. They are difficult but who cares. I literally just did 15 at work.

Like JoRocka said - take it easy take it slow in the beginning. You do have to mentally prepare yourself and say........i'm going to kick *kitten* today lets do it.

Awesome. I definitely need to be agile :) I really would love to get into boxing, but that's another story.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Loathe. After only a few I can no longer get down and up as quickly as they are in the video and I fall way behind and end up feeling like a total dolt.

I've skipped doing certain workouts in my program simply because there are about 30 burpees and I just find myself standing there staring at the tv like DOIIIIIIIIII
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Fudged up quoting loool

Gotcha! I downloaded it :) . Will have to play with it tomorrow. Do you think doing HIIT prior to a lifting session beneficial? This has me considering just kewping my exercise 3x a week but maybe HIIT before my 5/3/1 sessions?

Do it afterwards.

You should be as fresh as possible when heavy compound lifting.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    They are a good exercise. Quite challenging.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Fudged up quoting loool

I have done them on the same day. I do NOT recommend it at all.

I'm fricking insane and just needed to do my workouts- but if you are lifting heavy NO. do not do them the same day unless you are doing two a days.
    I did it back to back- I wanted to die. It's just not worth the gain- it's more like the law of diminished returns. And there is no way I would do it BEFORE my lift... what would you rather fail? 200 lbs squat or 20 burpees?

LOL

I do use the timer for my warm up- like
    3 minutes 30/30
    KB swings
    Box jumps

I just alternate between the two- but it's short.

If you want to do it- do it on your off days.
    Awesome. I definitely need to be agile :) I really would love to get into boxing, but that's another story.

The great thing about burpees is you can add them to agility training- turn around burpees- box jump burpees lateral burpees single leg burpees- burpee combos... its' good stuff- good way to work on speed and balance.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hate them, so I do them in intervals too, and I make sure to have something I really like to do immediately following burpees. That way when I'm doing the burpees, I am looking forward to something I love, like press-outs.