Girls who lift help! Weight loss? Bulk/cut? How do I start?

Options
Hi there!!!

I love, love, love the looks of all you girls around here who lift heavy. And I want something like that for me...
I just don't know where to start.
Because I had to make some decisions, prior asking for help, I choose the Bret Contreras Strong Curves program. As a way to begin strength training, focusing on lower body.

My overall goal is to get rid of fat, build muscles and make them appear. Especially butt and legs.

That's were it gets tricky for me. Where do I start?
- Do I strength train (heavy or not?) while eating at a deficit to get rid of as much fat as I can then bulk and cut (assuming I finally understand how it exactly works...)
- Do I figure out now how to bulk and cut and start right away?
- Do I eat at maintenance in the hope to preserve some kind of muscles while getting rid of fat?

I know I can't build muscles in a deficit even though I'm completely new to strength training.

Here are the stats, if needed to help me:
32 years old
female
5.3ft
CW: 155lbs (soooooo pear shaped!)
GW: 125-130lbs (with an hourglass figure if I can dream!)
44%bodyfat. Wich sucks!!!
I've lost about 30lbs so far. Now, I'm not only still fat but also flabby. Wich sucks even more.

Any advice? Please!! I wanna be hot like all of you girls here! Guys, any insight is more than welcome!!

Replies

• lougru
    lougru Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm looking for advice on this too. I want me an *kitten*! Haha. X
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Do whichever will work best for you.

Personally I followed your first option. Started strength training at deficit till my strength gains stalled, then upped calories.

You can gain a small amount of muscle at the beginning as you are new to it. I've moved up to maintainance now and will eat at surplus when my strength gains stall out again. I'm by no means an expert but from what I can gather, this is the slowest way to get results, a recomp, if you will.

I think faster results can be gotten from just going for a bulk/cut cycle but I didn't want to put weight on.

Hope this helps. Strong curves is a great read by the way, I have added a lot of those exercises to my routine - good luck with it.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Bump for information!!!! Great question, very well put!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you've got weight to lose then you definitely need to cut, not bulk. Yes, you want to lift heavy, regardless if you're on a cut or a bulk. I'd suggest starting with a small deficit (200 calories), start lifting heavy and go from there. If you start losing inches keep the calories where they're at. If you're not losing, drop the calories some more until you are. You just have to adjust your calories as your body adapts.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Since you are new to lifting and are likely still undermuscled/overfat, you are in the unique and shortlived position that will allow you some muscle gains while in a calorie deficit. I would suggest you continue to keep a moderate (15-20% from TDEE) calorie deficit while doing a full-body, heavy weight lifting routine 3ish times a week.
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    It depends. Lifting on a calorie deficit with help to preserve the muscle you have now and lose fat, but to build muscle you have to be eating above your maintenance (i.e. feeding your muscles). When I first started lifting, I started on a calorie deficit and lost weight, but you do have to be careful to not be on too much of a deficit. Personally, when I first started I had to increase my calories approximately 500 before I started seeing changes. Feel free to message me if you need some help :)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you've got weight to lose then you definitely need to cut, not bulk. Yes, you want to lift heavy, regardless if you're on a cut or a bulk. I'd suggest starting with a small deficit (200 calories), start lifting heavy and go from there. If you start losing inches keep the calories where they're at. If you're not losing, drop the calories some more until you are. You just have to adjust your calories as your body adapts.

^this

If you are not happy with the fat on your body now, bulking definitely isn't the thing for you.

Why do you just want to concentrate on lower body though?
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Great question, well put, same goals.
  • ElizabethWillNotFail
    Options
    Bump
  • mybuttbetter
    Options

^this

If you are not happy with the fat on your body now, bulking definitely isn't the thing for you.

Why do you just want to concentrate on lower body though?

All the fat on my body is on my butt and thighs. I want to get rid of the fat and see a round firm but big behind on top of long lean legs. That's what I would ask a genie out of a lamp.
    I'm fairly happy with my upper body. Some push-up and core exercise should do the job.
  • mybuttbetter
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Definitely a lot of things to consider! Let's the opinions coming!!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

bam. this.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

This.

Also you can't spot train/reduce whatever. You have no real control over how and where your body loses fat so you can train lower body all day everyday, it doesn't mean you'll reach your goals faster. A well rounded lifting program that is equal parts upper and lower body, combined with a slight deficit is going to be more beneficial for you.
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Our stats and goals are relatively the same. I have been working on lifting heavy for a little while now, but I still have a LONG way to go. Add me as a friend and we can compare workouts and motivation :)
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked this, I have started Jamie Eason's Live Fit program and was wondering.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

This.

Also you can't spot train/reduce whatever. You have no real control over how and where your body loses fat so you can train lower body all day everyday, it doesn't mean you'll reach your goals faster. A well rounded lifting program that is equal parts upper and lower body, combined with a slight deficit is going to be more beneficial for you.

^^^ yep! Ditto all of the above. Definitely don't neglect your upper body.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

This.

All of the above... AND... there is evidence to suggest if you start a bulk at a higher body fat, you will put on more fat vs. muscle than if you do your bulk at, say 18% body fat. So lift, cut, get lean. Then go for bulk.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

This.

All of the above... AND... there is evidence to suggest if you start a bulk at a higher body fat, you will put on more fat vs. muscle than if you do your bulk at, say 18% body fat. So lift, cut, get lean. Then go for bulk.

All of this!!!

good luck OP :)
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I started a few months ago, I ate at a deficit so I would lose weight. Now I'm eating more but still not at a surplus. I want to lose more weight/fat first.
  • mybuttbetter
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Definitely working on getting lean first, while strength training. I'll wait for the bulk.
    I know I can't spot reduce; it just that considering how I look, there's basically nothing to get rid of from the waist up!

I'm really grateful for all the insight. MFP's People rock!