Suggestions for lower back and hip exercises?!?!?

Options
Hey everyone!
I have misalignment (partially due to scoliosis) and I am sure my extra weight doesn't help one bit. I know I may need to see a chiropractor to correct the misalignment; HOWEVER, I am looking to strengthen my back and hips and trim down those areas as well! So my question is what exercises would be great for those two areas??? Any suggestions is much appreciated. Thank you! :-)

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Since you have scoliosis, it is really best that a PT or a doc give you exercises to do. I just wouldn't want you to feel worse.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Since you have scoliosis, it is really best that a PT or a doc give you exercises to do. I just wouldn't want you to feel worse.

^^^This^^^
  • StarLiteKiss
    StarLiteKiss Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was just looking for some ideas because my insurance doesn't kick in until after the new year. I will definitely do that though.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You didn't say if you have back pain, but i assume you do. People with back pain usually have a weak TVA muscle (transversus abdominis). To strengthen it, practice doing this exercise *all day long*, and especially while moving around:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p8eXl1OGdM

Try to see an orthopedist and/or a physical therapist. Chiros cannot fix scoliosis.

As far as trimming those areas, eat less & exercise more. You can't choose where you lose. For an explanation, Google "spot reduction myth". What is your current exercise routine?
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    planks and superman help strengthen the lower back & core, but as previous posters said, talk to your Dr or PT first.
  • StarLiteKiss
    Options
    You didn't say if you have back pain, but i assume you do. People with back pain usually have a weak TVA muscle (transversus abdominis). To strengthen it, practice doing this exercise *all day long*, and especially while moving around:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p8eXl1OGdM

Try to see an orthopedist and/or a physical therapist. Chiros cannot fix scoliosis.

As far as trimming those areas, eat less & exercise more. You can't choose where you lose. For an explanation, Google "spot reduction myth". What is your current exercise routine?

Thank you so much! And yes I have back pain, it is not too bad thankfully. I will definitely look into a PT after the New Year (waiting for insurance to kick in).
  • StarLiteKiss
    Options
    planks and superman help strengthen the lower back & core, but as previous posters said, talk to your Dr or PT first.

Thank you! I will after the New Year. I have mainly been walking instead of exercises for those areas because I was unsure.
  • zekni
    zekni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yoga, bellydance, massage therapy.