for all mac & cheese lovers!!

Options
Gogo76
Gogo76 Posts: 581
From Fitness Magazine:

Mac and Cheese Lite
Rocco's Secret Weapon
Macaroni and cheese is a comfort-food favorite. You'll love our recipe, which is low in fat and calories.
Recipe from Now Eat This! a Ballantine Trade Paperback Original by Rocco DiSpirito

Mac and Cheese Lite
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
Salt
4 ounces whole wheat macaroni
1/2 cup onion-garlic puree (see "Rocco's Secret Weapon," below)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.

Nutrition facts per serving (about 2/3 cup): 237 calories, 17g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 7g fat (4g saturated), 3g fiber

Healthy Cooking Tips
Flour Power: Whole wheat macaroni keeps you satisfied longer, says award-winning chef Rocco DiSpirito.

Better Cheddar: Low-fat cheese can still be ooey-gooey and delicious. Try Cabot's 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar.

Crunch Time: Panko is the perfect topping. "These Japanese bread crumbs stay crispy, no matter what," DiSpirito says.

Culture Club: Nonfat Greek yogurt gives the rich, creamy texture of butter and cream minus the fat.

Replies

• lashell617
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe, I have actually banned mac and cheese due to the fat content. I'm trying this for dinner tomorrow and I'll let you know how it turned out.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    That would be me! BUMP!!! :bigsmile:
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    Bump!

GOGO76...Totally off topic, but I LOVE your hair in your profile pic! : )
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Where is Rocco's Secret Weapon???

We need it!
  • Gogo76
    Options
    Bump!

GOGO76...Totally off topic, but I LOVE your hair in your profile pic! : )

Thanks! :blushing:
  • Gogo76
    Options
    Where is Rocco's Secret Weapon???

We need it!

DANG!! Sorry....I knew I was forgetting something.......

Rocco's Secret Weapon
    Bechamel sauce (a mixture of milk, butter, and flour) plays a starring role in traditional mac and cheese recipes. DiSpirito uses this aromatic blend of onion and garlic to build flavor and texture without fat (makes 1 cup).

Step 1
    Combine 1 large Vidalia onion, 9 garlic cloves (roughly chopped), and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.

Step 2
    Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high 10 minutes.

Step 3
    Pour the mixture into a blender; blend until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. (Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 72 hours.)
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    sounds good! thanks for sharing :)
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    yummy, thanks
  • barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Pump
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I made this a few weeks ago and it was good. I heated up the rocco's secret weapon too much before stirring in the cheese so it wasn't very smooth.
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump..I really miss mac & cheese! Thanks
  • racheltrantham
    Options
    bump!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love, love LOVE mac & cheese, especially this time of year! I made some last weekend with low-fat Velveeta (the first time in my life I ever used fake cheese!) and skim milk. Was missing some of the creaminess though...maybe substituting milk for yogurt will take care of that. Thanks for sharing!
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious :love:
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump