Question for the vegan or vegetarian

Options
I understand that many people have turn away from eating animal foods and decided to be a vegan or vegetarian. I am very curious for those that lift weights...How can you be on vegan or vegetarian diet and lift weights heavy? I would think you need protein ( such as meat) to build muscle. What food choices you would eat to get your protein?

Thank you

Replies

• sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian:

eggs, yoghurt, nuts, beans, cheese (some also use a good bit of soy product - I tend to avoid it as most is GMO - only do organic)

It also may be somewhat surprising that many greens also have protein. in general people do not need as much protein as the average American thinks - even as an athlete or weightlifter
  • vitospatafora
    vitospatafora Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have gained more muscle and strength on a vegan diet then when I used to eat meat, dairy and eggs. On day's I strength train I eat high carb, low fat high protein. high carb fruits in the morning (bananas, apples, kiwis, pears, blueberries etc..) Or maybe steel cut oats with ceylon cinnamon, goji berries, coconut sugar...if its going to be a while before my workout. Post workout I have Plant Fusion plant based protein shake blended with bananas, blueberries sometimes dates along with rice milk, spirulina powder, maca powder and some leafy greens (kale, collards, parsley). A typical post workout meal would be Sweet potato, brown rice or buckwheat along with curried carrots, zucchini, swiss chard, kale, spinach or collards..sometimes a combo of all. Then dinner some ezekiel bread with a big leafy green salad maybe some raw nuts (soaked overnight) or avocado. On Rest days I eat low carb high fat, high protein. Fruit for breakfast, foods I eat the rest of the day include avocado, hemp seeds, raw sprouted pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, coconut oil, olive oil, coconut meat, walnuts (i usually choose or two nuts for the day, 1 cup of nuts total)..usually mixed with veggies..carrots, leafy greens, mushrooms, eggplant, asparagus, peppers, tomato, brussel sprouts etc..occasionally some tofu or tempeh. For dessert the darkest of chocolates made with whole cane sugar (unrefined) or some vegan gluten free cookies or avocado pudding with plant fusion protein powder, dates and seeds maybe some cacao nibs. For more detail take a look at my food logs. All these foods add up to quite a large amount of protein.
  • lleaka
    lleaka Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post vitospatafora...this is giving me great ideas for my meals.Im a vegetarian .I sometimes cant think of anything new to eat and cook.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Animal protein is terrible for the body in so many ways - one only needs a max of 8-10% protein and this is easily achieved with fruits and veggies - check this amazing website of a prime athlete who eats all plant based - no animal anything in this man's diet!

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/vegan_athlete_cam-awesome

http://camfawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Animal protein is terrible for the body in so many ways - one only needs a max of 8-10% protein and this is easily achieved with fruits and veggies - check this amazing website of a prime athlete who eats all plant based - no animal anything in this man's diet!

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/vegan_athlete_cam-awesome

http://camfawesome.wordpress.com/

Animal protein is just fine, you may not choose to eat it, but there's nothing intrinsically unhealthy about it. Stop spouting vegan propaganda. :huh:
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The healthiest proteins in the world are vegetable proteins (See Dr. Dean Ornish's book Dr. Dean Ornish's Programme for Reversing Heart Disease or The Spectrum) and we only need 1 serving of beans per day in a varied, healthy diet (assuming you are getting enough calories also) to get plenty of protein (See A Diet for a New America by John Robbins).

I remember before I went "Veg" that I also didn't know that veggies had protein. I think they teach us in schools that meat is protein and veggies are not, but it's not true.

Forgot to add some examples for ya:

I like: peanut butter, hummous (tahini/sesame seed paste + chickpeas), beans, peas, soy burgers, "quorn" brand fake "ground beef, "quorn" brand fake "chicken" filets, nuts. Also cheese, milk, yogurt, and eggs (for a vegetarian, not a Vegan). But look at any vegan website, they'll give ya a whole list of great things. Also the protein in things like oatmeal and spinach also add up.

They found that you don't have to have a whole protein in each meal (they used to say eat beans and rice, that sort of thing), but now we know you can have the different components over the course of several meals over a day or two, and the body can still assimilate them just fine into complete proteins.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Here is an excellent article from the Harvard School of Public Health.....well worth the read.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein-full-story/

"All Protein Isn’t Alike

Some of the protein you eat contains all the amino acids needed to build new proteins. This kind is called complete protein. Animal sources of protein tend to be complete. Other protein sources lack one or more “essential” amino acids—that is, amino acids that the body can’t make from scratch or create by modifying another amino acid. Called incomplete proteins, these usually come from fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts.

Vegetarians need to be aware of this. To get all the amino acids needed to make new protein—and thus to keep the body’s systems in good shape—people who don’t eat meat, fish, poultry, eggs, or dairy products should eat a variety of protein-containing foods each day."
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Tons of vegetarian and vegan athletes. Google "vegetarian athlete". If what you say is true, google would turn up zero results. Vegetarians get protein from vegetables and sometimes dairy and eggs. You'll be hard pressed to find a vegetable with 0% protein content.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I support everyone's right to find their own way with health and fitness... but there isn't anything wrong with going vegan or staying a meat eater. Human beings are omnivores. We are genetically built and programmed to consume and utilize plant based foods as well as flesh.
    With research it is possible to accomplish your health goals without eating meat if that is your desire.
    http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-to-build-muscle-mass-on-a-plant-based-diet

I'll stick with my chicken and steaks though... YUM