darling clementines?

Options
Has anyone noticed the ridiculous nutrition facts on the Darling clementine packages. For those not familiar Darling clementine is a particular brand of the little citrus fruit that is popular this time of year. According to most fitness/nutrition sites two clementines are usually around 70 calories as they are really small fruit. Darling clementines are small also. According to the packaging two of these tiny fruits are 140 calories - that's impossible, right? That's more than a large honeycrisp apple.

I find that I have more trouble finding reliable nutrition facts for just plain foods than I do for the processed stuff that is so bad for you.

What do you think the correct calories are? I'm hoping for 70 for two :)

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Go with whatever's on the packaging. People put a lot of incorrect data on MFP. The company is required to have it tested and put the accurate calorie amount on their own packaging.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    They are an extremely sweet strain of tangerine. Use the package info.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I checked out their web site. The nutritional facts they list there are basically in line with the USDA number for clementines, which is about 47 calories per 100g of fruit. The site also states that they source their fruit from all around the world, so I don't believe that they are selling a special breed of clementine.

http://www.lgssales.com/commodities/clementines/

Does the packaging list the weight in grams that they are basing their calorie count on? I always weight my fruit. I have yet to get a clementine that is more than 80g, which works out to about 40 calories per the USDA data, and mathematically works out within a calorie or 2 of the info from their site above.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    "...you were lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry, clementine"

(Sorry, I could not help myself)
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That's more than a large honeycrisp apple.

I just wanted to point out that the Honeycrisp apple is the most amazingly awesome apple ever. Because the season is so short, I hoard them and keep them refrigerated , trying to stretch the supply into January.

That's all.

As you were.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    They are an extremely sweet strain of tangerine. Use the package info.

Actually, they are considered a strain of mandarin orange--although sometimes known as seedless tangerines. I love clementines and seem to be able to eat them non-stop these days. One of the few things I like about Winter--the citrus is usually very good at this time of year. As far as nutritional info, there are numerous entries in the database and you could be pulling a bad entry and using it as the nutritional info.
  • kidznpupz1
    kidznpupz1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I checked out their web site. The nutritional facts they list there are basically in line with the USDA number for clementines, which is about 47 calories per 100g of fruit. The site also states that they source their fruit from all around the world, so I don't believe that they are selling a special breed of clementine.

http://www.lgssales.com/commodities/clementines/

Does the packaging list the weight in grams that they are basing their calorie count on? I always weight my fruit. I have yet to get a clementine that is more than 80g, which works out to about 40 calories per the USDA data, and mathematically works out within a calorie or 2 of the info from their site above.

Thanks for the help. The information on the website is different from the info on the package. The idea of weighing is a good one.
    It's seems like the simplest things are the hardest to get an accurate read on
  • longshadows17
    longshadows17 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That's more than a large honeycrisp apple.

I just wanted to point out that the Honeycrisp apple is the most amazingly awesome apple ever. Because the season is so short, I hoard them and keep them refrigerated , trying to stretch the supply into January.

That's all.

As you were.

Omg, I just discovered Honeycrisps this year. Obsessed. I've eaten like one to two a day for three months, it's caused my TMJ to flare up, hahaha. The last bag I got isn't as good, the season must be ending. :(
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Just fit it into your day
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    "...you were lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry, clementine"

(Sorry, I could not help myself)

I'm just glad it wasn't just me.