The Halloween Candy Experiment: The Results

Options
DanOhh
DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
Last Friday, Oct. 29th, I decide to do a little (non-scientific) experiment. The general plan was to add candy to my diet for a week and see how much I gained in the time span. I’ve been under my goal weight since the latter half of August. Since then, I’ve been maintaining my weight with only slight ups and downs in weight during that time, so I didn’t feel like I was putting my weight in jeopardy.

So, last week I came up with the idea, “I want to enjoy Halloween and don’t I want to worry about avoiding all the treats my kids/co-workers will be bringing into the house/office,” the ‘Halloween Candy Experiment’. (Side Note: I was calling this the ‘Halloween Candy Test’ all week but, ‘Experiment’ sounds a lot cooler) The basic idea of the ‘experiment’ was that I would continue to be on a ‘maintenance’ diet/exercise with MyFitnessPal but I wouldn’t keep track of the candy that I would eat during the week. In other words my daily goal was 2250 calories a day but whatever candy I ate wouldn’t be logged into that goal. If I had to do it all over again I would have logged all the candy too.

I started off the week all excited and did enjoy not worrying at all about what I was doing. I would make my way down the hall to ‘my dealer’ of candy (a co-worker) who always has candy on her desk all year long and during the holidays she brings out the good stuff. I found myself going down by her office just to ask a question to anyone near it or to make bathroom breaks (her office wasn’t the bathroom just near it). I think by the end of the day on the first day I was as high on sugar as a ‘humming bird on crack’. This sugar high wasn’t good energy though. I went for a run when I got home but it turned into only a walk because my leg muscles and tummy started aching ¼ of a mile into it.

At home I had become that ‘monster’ from my childhood who’d steal all the good stuff out of my trick or treat bag overnight (yes, I know it was you, mom/dad). I was going in and pilfering Kit Kats, Snickers, Butterfingers, M&Ms, 3 Musketeers, and (my favorite) Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups from my kid’s bags. I even made sure to purloin evenly from each child’s bag so as not to raise suspicion between the two.

All was going well with the ‘experiment’ until Monday. I had lost my motivation to exercise. I’ve been running three times a week since June and I just didn’t feel like running any more. I still went for walks but just couldn’t get myself up to run. On top of that I wasn’t eating as well either. My evening sack is normally an apple and peanut butter but that had been replaced with candy. When I would snack on cheese and crackers or chips and salsa I’d continue to snack way past my cut off point and over eat. I had lost my discipline.

Wednesday afternoon I had cut off my candy intake. I just wasn’t liking the way I was physically feeling plus at work all that was left in ‘my dealer’s’ candy stash was Necco Wafers and Sweet Tarts (blah). So this decreased my sugar intake and I was able the last two evenings to get myself motivated enough to go running, but my pace had slowed down from a 8.5 min. mile to a 9 min. mile.

THE FINAL RESULT: My weigh-in last Friday was 196.8lbs this morning’s weigh-in was 199.4 for a total of 2.6lbs in a week. My prediction was that I would be around a 2lbs gain so I wasn’t too far off. This means I’ll be switching off my ‘maintaining’ goal on MFP and going to be on a lose 1lb a week goal for the next couple of weeks (I like having a couple of pounds of cushion under my goal).

Take whatever you want out of my findings from this (unscientific) experiment. Yes, I did do this for selfish reasons (enjoying candy) but in the end I didn’t like the way I felt. I didn’t feel horrible, I just felt blah and unmotivated and that’s the exact opposite I’ve felt since I’ve been on this wonderful web site.

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post - totally confirms that sugar/sweets or any type of junk is evil and I should continue staying away from it!!! :drinker:
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for being the subject of this experiment. You just saved us all 2lbs! Every time I think about just letting go and having whatever I want for a few days or whatever I quickly remind myself that is what has gotten me to the place I am and very soon lose the interest in all the junk I wanted. Sometimes it helps to keep a picture of ourselves at our heaviest to deter us from going there again.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I guess I am lucky that I don't really like chocolate that much but I definitely overindulged in food during Halloween parties this past weekend.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    That's why moderation is important. I've had 1-3 pieces of candy every day (logged) since Halloween and am down 4 pounds this week. Candy is evil and addictive though! It's a good thing Halloween is only once a year. :laugh:
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    That was really interesting! Thank you for that :)
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just love it DanOh!
  • jyt2573
    Options
    I LOVE this experiment - well done for doing it and documenting it so well. I had a silimar experience where I ate about 12 pieces of candy throughout a busy day last Saturday and not only did I not feel well in the middle of the day, it spawned a series of sugar cravings that I am still not over a week later. Just last night, after a large-ish dinner, I thought I wanted dessert (something I never do.) It just goes to show how much processed sugar messes with our systems. (BTW, to combat the sugar cravings, I turn to about 70 calories of dried cherries and a 100 calorie pack of almonds and walnuts.) Thanks so much for sharing your results with us. It will go a long way towards keeping us all on the 'happy path!'

Jennifer
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    Laughed @ the Candy Monster part :P

I loved reading about your experiment and am really glad that I wasnt the one who was the guinea pig (this time!).... "free passes" to overeat sugary garbage roll way over into other areas beyond just the added garbage calories like you said: lack of energy, lack of motivation, lack of desire for healthy foods, overeating other foods in general.... These "free passes" that we allow ourselves can get mighty dangerous! So glad that you have all of the tools of your success to get you quickly back on track and am thinking this is exactly how 'newbies' get derailed: they get off track and get on a 'free pass' week or weekend and have a hard time getting back. I would be curious to hear how long you are feeling the effects of the week as you attempt to get back on your 1lb/week loss plan. I know for me, it took a quite a while to shake that excess sugar from my system (after a birthday cake infested camping trip LOL)
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It would have been interesting to see what the results would have been if you had logged it.. where would you have taken the needed calories from? would you have ramped up the exercise? I have been eating a bit of the candy but I do log it - won't know until next week what impact is.. thanks for sharing!
  • TJTAMPA1004
    Options
    I too allowed myself to cheat. And I fell way off the wagon. I went crazy. Hiding candy. Not sharing with the kids. And my energy plummeted.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I too had been attacking the kids trick or treat bags and just today left all the things I won't eat up here for the kids (only 2 and 4 so they dont NEED any candy anyway) and put the rest of the candy in the basement in the freezer so it is still "here" but I have to work HARD to get it and have to wait for it to thaw before I can eat it...
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Goes to show you just how addictive sugar is. It's like a drug... and it effects motivation and the energy to exercise, which makes it's effects even worse!

I don't eat much sugar, but I'm a salt freak, which has it's own dark side....

Shannon
  • AngelDog1
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! My weakness is chocolate. Once I start, I can't stop. But if I stay away, I can go for days/weeks without it. So the trick for me is to STOP! DROP! and RUN AWAY!!!! :laugh:
  • clgiddens
    Options
    Wow, that is incredible. Shows just what all that processed sugar can do to us mentally and physically. Thank you so much for sharing your "experiment" and the results with it. I was having the mentality "If I have the calories, I can eat it" but you've shown me that the cravings, feeling bad, etc can be detrimental even if you do have them.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    While I did not complete an experiment like you, my findings over the past week were very similar. Saturday night was a big dinner with friends, with extra desserts. Sunday, we started into the Halloween candy early, and I continued throughout the evening. It didn't take me long to notice the same sluggish feeling you experienced. My energy over the next few days was totally sapped. To make matters worse, I got a head cold, so what energy I did have went out the window. Also, a new one for me, after all the extra sugar, my belly felt HUGE, bloated, blech!

Fortunately, the candy has lost it's luster for me. I've had my fill of my favorites from the treat bags. All that's left are things that either don't appeal to me, or are not "special." My attitude now is, why bother? I'd rather get back to normal. That's not to say that I haven't had sweets while I've been on MFP. But the effect of the excessive sweets that I had over the last week was definitely noticeable. I'm hoping to get back on track real soon and figure out a way to give away all the candy that we have at home. It will be a hard sell to my kids and husband, but I think we would all be better off if we didn't eat it ourselves.

Thanks for sharing your experiment - interesting!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That's why moderation is important. I've had 1-3 pieces of candy every day (logged) since Halloween and am down 4 pounds this week. Candy is evil and addictive though! It's a good thing Halloween is only once a year. :laugh:

I did the same thing, although I'm not down four pounds I will at least be down 2. I think this is the most sane way to get through Halloween! :glasses:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    WOW! You are a brave man! What a fun experiment.:glasses: I'm too emotional to do something like this; plus with all that sugar my hormones would be wacky and Id get a horrid case of breakouts :noway: You have a great deal of discipline to stop the experiment and kick the candy to the curb. For many of us this would start a downward spiral so I applaud you in your strength! Now get out there and run off that sugar high! :laugh:
  • francesstewart1
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! It was really interesting and funny read :)
  • LJK100
    LJK100 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    <
    Running to toss all leftover Halloween Candy in the Outside Garbage...Yikes!!!
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Although I did not eat any candy at Haloween, I have had a craving for sugary stuff today. I came to work and there are all sorts of sugary treats...homemade donuts and lots of delicious cookies. I am a cookie addict and have gone into the coffee room and looked at those cookies several times. My resistance was being lowered and I was thinking about taking a cookie until..........I read your story. It was enough for me to stay away from those cookies. In reality, I have never had just one cookie and I know that. It seems when I have siugar I just want more sugar. Thanks for saving me from the Cookie Moster today. Good luck on your journey.