Women 5'6" - 5'7" - 5'8" How many calories do you eat daily?

Options
I'm 24, 5'7" and about 132lbs. I'm sedentary during the day (desk job) and exercise 3-4x a week.

I have my calories set at 1450, and I eat back my exercise calories on my workout days.
I'm not sure if this amount is right though. My progress is super slow, but I'm still seeing progress.

How many calories do you eat in a day? Am I on the right track?

Replies

• ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm 25, etween b5'8" and 5'9", and I work retail, so I'm on my feet moving around 40 hours a week. I eat about 1200-1400 calories a day (LC Paleo) and if I get a rare chance to do some actual cardio or strength training, I eat back about 50% of those calories. You seem to be alright on your numbers, and a slow loss is still a loss, and probably better for you in the long run! Keep it up!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft8 and on regular days I eat about 1575 and on days I work I eat more because I work replenishment, which is a pretty active job. I try to net AT LEAST 1200 a day.
  • gale1089
    Options
    Thanks you two! I might lower my calories to 1400 after seeing your numbers.
    Anyone else want to share their daily calorie intake, please?!
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What is 'super slow' to you?

I'm 5'7 and I eat 1700 calories a day, and I've been losing 1-3lbs a week when I stick to that goal. I run 4 times a week as well as cross training. Less calories doesn't equal more weight loss in the long run. If you feel satisfied at the calorie goal you have, stick with it.
  • gale1089
    Options
    I started getting serious about exercising and eating right back in July.. and 6 months later I've only lost around 8 pounds. I see people on here losing a pound a week, and I'm at a pound a month :frown:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks you two! I might lower my calories to 1400 after seeing your numbers.
    Anyone else want to share their daily calorie intake, please?!

Why would you lower your intake base off someone's input? Why not base your input off your fitness goals and activity level. If it makes you feel better, the average women I know eats between 1700-2100 calories during weight loss and maintenance around 2100-2500. Below is a good thread too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    5'6" and 137lbs...I have MPF set at 1550 and do not eat back my exercise calories as I have it set using TDEE -20%. I also have a very sedentary job (behind a desk 8-9hrs a day) and on non workout days according to my BodyMedia, I burn around 1690 a day total. I am losing about .5 - .75 lbs a week and fine with that b/c I love to eat!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I started getting serious about exercising and eating right back in July.. and 6 months later I've only lost around 8 pounds. I see people on here losing a pound a week, and I'm at a pound a month :frown:

Thats because you have almost no weight to lose. You are already lean and cut if that picture is current. What is your goal anyways?
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Thats because you have almost no weight to lose. You are already lean and cut if that picture is current. What is your goal anyways?

This. And I'm 5'7" and eat about 1700-1800/day. I have only lost 12 pounds this year but changed my body composition a lot.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 36, 5'8" and eat between 1200-1520 a day generally (there are outlier days like yesterday where I busted 2200! so today will be a particularly light day). I weigh 148 and am fairly sedentary. I've lost 75 lbs in the last year, but over the past couple months I'm only losing 1-2 lbs a month. While I miss the days of losing 2 lbs a week, I'm starting to get okay with the slllllooooowwww weight loss now. I think OP's calories sound reasonable as well as the rate of loss considering you're already at a low weight.

*edit for spelling
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, 5'7", I net between 1500-1600 calories daily.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, 5'7", lifting, and I net 1700-1900
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am 28 years old, 5'7" and my net goal is 1600 calories a day.

I have been at it for 5 and a half weeks now and have lost 14lbs. The first 10 pounds came off in the first 2 weeks, then it slowed down to about 1.5pounds a week.

I have thought about lowering my calories to lose faster, but decided to stick with 1600 because it has been working for me and I don't feel deprived.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options

This. It will be slower the less you have to lose.

I'm 5'7 and eat 2000+ calories a day. I have been eating at this calorie level since January and have lost close to 50 lbs. I have a desk job and workout 5 days a week + daily dog walks of 30 min to an hour.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and 208 lb and eating 1,410 calories per day.

I do eat back exercise calories but I under log. For example last night I did about 70 min of walking with a range of speeds from leisurely to quite brisk, and logged 50 min leisurely pace. Ate back most of the calories. I struggle with that part, but I truly do find when I don't eat back any exercise calories my weight will plateau.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    5'6.5''. I maintain on 1700-1900 calories a day.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

This.

It's unrealistic to expect a fast loss when you're so close to your goal. I am still far from my ultimate GW and I have seen my loss slow a tiny bit and I feel that's to be expected even with tons left to lose.
  • Stasha83
    Options
    Hmm this is interesting.

I'm 5'8'' and currently 147lbs and eating 1600 - 1700 calories per day (diary is open) but I don't eat back exercise calories so net is closer to 1200.

My weight loss is incredibly slow, in a month I have lost 1lb and somehow re-gained the same 1lb back a week later.

I train 6 days a week (5 days lifting, 3 or 4 HIIT sessions and 1 day of 45mins steady state cardio).

I've been researching and some suggest decreasing calories and others suggest increasing calories so i'm not sure how to get the scales moving.

Any ideas?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Hmm this is interesting.

I'm 5'8'' and currently 147lbs and eating 1600 - 1700 calories per day (diary is open) but I don't eat back exercise calories so net is closer to 1200.

My weight loss is incredibly slow, in a month I have lost 1lb and somehow re-gained the same 1lb back a week later.

I train 6 days a week (5 days lifting, 3 or 4 HIIT sessions and 1 day of 45mins steady state cardio).

I've been researching and some suggest decreasing calories and others suggest increasing calories so i'm not sure how to get the scales moving.

Any ideas?

If you've been at it a while, I suggest: Try netting higher. Decreasing when you're only netting at 1200 doesn't sound like a fun idea. You could also try to workout out a little less and give your body a break. Maybe 3 days a week instead of 6. Or try eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks and then go back to cutting calories. Sometimes the body needs a break.
  • Stasha83
    Options
    [/quote]

If you've been at it a while, I suggest: Try netting higher. Decreasing when you're only netting at 1200 doesn't sound like a fun idea. You could also try to workout out a little less and give your body a break. Maybe 3 days a week instead of 6. Or try eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks and then go back to cutting calories. Sometimes the body needs a break.
    [/quote]

I had a month off from training and dieting due to a knee injury so have only been back at it for the past month. I thought I would at least lose a few lbs in the first week but nothing!

I love training so don't really want to do less, it keeps me sane! I agree about netting below 1200, I don't like the thought of that at all!

Given that i've only been back on it for a month do you think I need to go back up to maintenance for a week already?