Just lose weight or a a six pack?

Options
I was just wondering eat everyone's opinion was on this topic. I personally want a six pack and I am pretty much there. My initial goal was to lose enough weight so fat wouldn't jiggle when I walked. (True story). But now I want a six pack. Is anyone else like this? Do you generally just want to lose weight or do you want to go all out for six pack abs? Just wondering if I was the only one like this.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i only wanted to 'lose weight' to start with... i have now been alternating between maintenance and dropping my bodyfat for a while as i would like a little more ab definition.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Muscle definition is a goal of mine.
  • djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i only wanted to 'lose weight' to start with... i have now been alternating between maintenance and dropping my bodyfat for a while as i would like a little more ab definition.

Pretty much exactly like me. I don't think our goals, or our journey, should ever stop. Once we meet one goal, shoot for another. I guess that's how the process goes. Lose weight then go for abs.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'd be satisfied at losing body fat...gaining muscle is a plus, but not looking to be ripped...too much work, lol. Bodies can change so much and as I said, I want to lose body fat, just don't want to become too obsessed about it. :happy:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I want to be as shredded as possible...
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    I started out just wanted to lose the weight, but then seeing the runners on here gave me the itch to run a marathon, now I want vanity and the body that goes with it, but that's because that's what I see. In the long haul, it's all about being healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

What he said
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist said I probably wasn't going to get a six-pack. I'm cool with that.

I do, however, want to build those muscles that make a six-pack, even if I could never lose the blubber over them.

My overall goal is to build strength and live healthier - eat/work/play healthier.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Goals and perception shift with body changes. What an overweight person might consider a "6-pack" might not be particularly impressive as the body fat reality changes. Or the value you place on abs might shift with your strength and muscle progression goals.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I'm over the 6 pack thing, I came here to lose weight and now I'm in love with lifting and running and all the thrills that come with it. I just want to be the best me I can be, oh and losing bodyfat is always a plus ;)
    15% please?! Lol
    Edited because damn W key hates me haha
  • kneega
    kneega Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have always had a sixpack since I can remember. BRB eating 3000 calories a day and still not losing sixpack. you mad?
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    When I started I wanted to lose weight, but now I have more muscle definition related goals (not 6pack abs though).
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If you exercise and eat at a deficit you can lose weight and drink a six pack. I know, trust me i know.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    At this point in my life, the only people who are ever going to see my abs are my husband and my mortician. The first loves me no matter how unripped I am, and I'm guessing the second won't give a fig. I just want to feel good and enjoy wearing pretty clothes (that don't show my belly or private bits).
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yep.

I am a bit further away from being so than this guy though lol
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yup, I want the six pack. For me, to get from a 4-pack to a 6-pack, the difference in the amount of time, work, and commitment (both exercise and nutrition wise) is huge. You have to find your own personal balance.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with losing weight. I'm too lazy to work on muscle definition.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    good luck with your goal.

personally for me, a six pack isn't a goal. it might happen on the way to my goal (of doing an Iron Man) but it's not going to be on my check off list.
  • Wwonderful
    Options
    I went all out for a six pack!! That was my main goal!