Wheat and dairyless breakfast

Options
I have recently been diagnosed lactose intolerant and am also in progress of figuring out if I'm wheat intolerant or celiac (either way, no wheat). It's been a little difficult figuring out what to eat for all meals but especially breakfast. I feel like I've had enough eggs and fruit to last a lifetime and having too much of thous has their own effect.

Does anybody have any wheat-free, dairy-free meal suggestions? Especially breakfast and on the go helps a lot too.

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    You don't have to only eat eggs for breakfast. You can also have meat - bacon, ham, minute steak, stir fry, all sorts of sausage types, leftovers, etc.

And, maybe you should explore more ways of cooking eggs. For example, ever had poached eggs with a few drops of white truffle oil drizzled on them (omg, heaven!), or shred some zucchini into beaten eggs to make mini zucchini pancakes. Speaking of pancakes, I saw this recipe (haven't tried it myself because of sugar restriction) where you mix a mashed banana with beaten eggs to make pancake batter - looks like it would make real nice banana pancakes.

Good luck, sweetheart.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Whatever you were eating before, there is likely a gluten and dairy free version of it. Cereal with milk turns into gluten free cereal (there are many out there, in mainstream grocery stores) with almond/rice/hemp/coconut/etc. milk. There are gluten free breads and waffles that do not taste too bad (especially when toasted). There are a number of gluten free baking mixes for pancakes, biscuits, etc.

That being said, it is possible to train yourself to eat non-traditional foods for breakfast...soup and leftovers are easy. I usually have several pounds of sausages of various types (chicken, turkey, pork, links, bratwurst, summer, etc.) in the refrigerator for my family. Corn tortillas are helpful for wraps, breakfast and otherwise.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is gluten free if you get a kind that hasn't been processed in a plant that processes wheat. Most health food stores carry it. Chex has some gluten free varieties you can have with your choice of soy, almond or rice milk. Eggs with some cheese, bacon, ham, veggies. Make smoothies with the above milks. Learn to bake gluten free muffins and biscuits.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just google ``Paleo breakfast`` and enjoy!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as breakfast, just pretend it's another meal and your possibilities are endless...

I'd stay away from gluten free versions of "traditional" foods (cereals, bread etc) as they're full of rubbish to help try and make them remotely tasty.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Meat and potatoes. Toss a steak or chop on the grill and a few diced spuds in the skillet, add some veggies of your choice. This is pretty standard fare on the mountain. Trout is also a favorite, on the grill, in the oven or skillet with a pat of butter and some lemon-pepper. As mentioned, stir-fry. I don't know how you could get tired of eggs though, you can do so much with them, scrambled, poached, basted, fried, hard or soft boiled, baked over wilted spinach, whipped into an omelet. I basically have eggs for breakfast every day. Last week I basted a couple eggs and had them over leftover pot roast. Seriously, any meal can be had for breakfast, and eggs compliment all of it.

Rigger
  • Hodaeia
    Hodaeia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am also gluten and dairy free.

I have a great gluten free bread recipe that I make every couple of weeks and sometimes have a slice with 1 egg and million sauteed vegetables.
    (I'm not kidding about the vegetables).

Or I make a green smoothie - 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, 3/8 cup old fashion oats, and 2/3 handfuls of spinach with some ice cubs thrown in to offset the hot oatmeal. Its great a keep me filled for 3 or 4 hours. You can throw kale in there too, which peach or mango or just about any fruit. Smoothies are great because they are so versatile.
    (Plus its bright green - how awesome is that?)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed lactose intolerant and am also in progress of figuring out if I'm wheat intolerant or celiac (either way, no wheat). It's been a little difficult figuring out what to eat for all meals but especially breakfast. I feel like I've had enough eggs and fruit to last a lifetime and having too much of thous has their own effect.

Does anybody have any wheat-free, dairy-free meal suggestions? Especially breakfast and on the go helps a lot too.

Pamela's Products Whenever Bars - available on Amazon. sometimes I put peanut butter or sunbutter on them. Eat it with a glass of almond milk. However, if you haven't been tested for celiac yet, don't stop eating wheat. The biopsy may come back negative and if you haven't had the blood work yet, the tTG will come back negative after just a few days off gluten.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have a really yummy protein shake for breakfast that is gluten free and lactose free, you can mix that with a bit of almond milk for breakfast on the run :-)
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You could try yogurt (and not just Yoplait's new fancy lactose free yogurt (green cup). I know most people think... milk BUT because of the bacteria it's better tolerated by a lot of lactose intolerant folks. Other than that, I'm a big believer in not conforming to the notion that breakfast MUST be breakfast foods.

I love leftovers and I am a HUGE fan of soup on a cold morning.

Can't help you on the wheat business, sorry! Well, except to say oatmeal may not work for you depending on if you're just wheat intolerant or if it's Celiac and if it's a kind of Celiac where you cannot tolerate whatever it is in oatmeal (a good friend of mine has so many food allergies and intolerances it's a miracle she can drink water).
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I like mashed sweet potatoes and coconut/palm oil sometimes for breakfast. Maybe some eggs and rice?
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love chili for breakfast. Sometimes I add a little turkey bacon or roast chicken.
    I'm staying away from rice right now, but one of my favorite breakfasts used to be this Japanese soup made with green tea, brown rice, seaweed, and sardines. Really healthy and delicious.
    http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/one-simple-change-a-proper-breakfast-and-an-ochazuke-recipe.html
    She also gives alternatives if you hate sardines: salmon, tempeh, etc.
    I made this with hojicha (roasted) green tea, I think that gives the best flavor. I also was lazy and used the Uncle Ben's microwave-in-a-pouch version of brown rice. You can find dried seaweed at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. You could also substitute wilted spinach or something similar.
    Other possibilities: warm corn tortillas with salsa, refried beans, and rice; Arabic breakfast of hummus, baba ghanouj, tomatoes and cucumbers with baked lentil chips (to dip, instead of pita bread); bake a sweet potato and spice it up with cardamom and white pepper, or make a sweet potato hash with diced baked sweet potato, spicy sausage, onions, and peppers.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I read this as 'Wheat and hairless breakfast'.

Yes, too many dog gifs today. Will sit in corner.
  • 1two3four
    Options
    I'd stay away from gluten free versions of "traditional" foods (cereals, bread etc) as they're full of rubbish to help try and make them remotely tasty.

Uhhh.........rice.........corn........are fine for someone avoiding gluten and oats could be OK if they're not cross contaminated with wheat and the rest of the gluten containing grains or for those that aren't sensitive to avenin. All three of those make what I consider a tasty breakfast cereal without "rubbish"!
  • 1two3four
    Options
    I like mashed sweet potatoes....for breakfast.

Oh my God I had this the morning after Thanksgiving and they were amazing, even cold! I added in some yogurt for the heck of it and that was good, too.
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I work for a woman who eats the Wahls diet for MS... we make a lot of breakfast quinoa with cinnamon, cardimum, and raisins or dried cranberries.

She also makes a smoothie with banana and coconut milkwith cinnamon; it's tasty warm or room temperature.

I am also lactose intolerant- have you tried goat's milk? It has less lactose, and most people who are lactose intolerant can eat yogurt and and certain types of cheese because the bacteria cultures used to ferment them eat the indigestible lactose.
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and have coeliac disease so i literally can not eat dairy or wheat every

For breakfast i make Quinoa flake porridge and its DELICIOUS!!!!
    - 56g of quinoa flakes
    - 150ml unsweetened almond milk (or you can use soy, add more milk if you like it runny)
    - sprinkle of stevia
    - sprinkle of cinnamon

You can also use aramanth with soy/almond milk as a nice cereal. There are a lot of wheat free/gluten free cereals out there, but i personally prefer raw, unprocessed ingredients

Good Luck!
  • vlarocque
    Options
    Rice cake with 1tbs of peanut butter and a banana. 240 calories, delicious and filling!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I mix eggs, meats, spinach, cheese and dried potato flakes together then bake in a muffin pan. Perfect on the go breakfast.