Running In The Winter

Options
Hi everyone!

I have recently started working out more than I have in the past in order to get fit by the summer. A big factor in losing weight is cardio. I can not afford a gym membership right now, so treadmills, ellipticals, and cycling are out for me. I have been considering running out in the city and using RunKeeper to track my runs and so forth. The thing is, I live in New England and it is FREEZING here (today it's only 20 degrees, but feels like 8 degrees outside!) and the cold temperature does not motivate me at all to go outside and run.

How do you guys prepare for a run in the cold weather?
Do you run in the morning/afternoon/night?
What type of gear do you wear while running in the cold?
How expensive is it to buy good running gear for the winter?
What types of sneakers do you wear (do they have any that are good for the snow/slush/ice)?
How do you stay motivated to go running when it's freezing out?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Dress for temps 10-15 degrees warmer than it actually is, try to wear something breathable, light layers.

From there, that's the best I can do. I don't run outside in the winter....granted this week when I've gotten up to go to the gym it has been -10 to -15....I'd take 20 above in a heartbeat.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There's been 2 or 3 threads on this recently it's probably worth doing a forum search
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    There's been 2 or 3 threads on this recently it's probably worth doing a forum search

So is every single post that has been made in the past 5 years.
  • sharonhouse81
    sharonhouse81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    wow...I have never been running when it's been that cold out... I live in Norfolk, Va and it usually only gets as low as the 20s - teens in the winter here. So far it's been in the 30s on average. I would have NEVER pegged myself to run in the cold, but the drive and motivation i'm feeling right now is fantastic so it's worth it. Maybe do a good warm up in the house before you go out so you don't start out so cold. Good luck :)
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good god that's cold! I'm in the 40's here in Seattle area and I'm about ready to call it in and go with HIIT bodyweight circuits for the rest of the season. That's my plan once I see ice!
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a runner, but you should check out Target for decently priced warm winter clothes. Try to find running tights and a shirt that are lined with a thin layer of fleece--it'll keep you warm. Also, look into Yaktrax--they slip on over your regular shoes for questionable road conditions. Good luck!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I went for a 90 min walk today, and it was 15 degrees, yes very cold, but also refreshing. You have to dress for it, and just do it. I also find if I walk towards the sun first, I seem to feel warmer, and bt the time I'm not facing sun, I'm already warmer from walking/jogging... I walk in the morning, it works better for me, but you need to do what works for you.. Good luck..:) :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    For temps in the 20s I LOVE running. I just dress for it. Unfortunately around here it's been in the single digits (currently its 9 degrees here with a windchill of -something).....I tend to not go out if it's under 15 degrees or if there's a bunch of ice. My lungs just don't like it. Was supposed to run a 5k race last Saturday and it was 0 degrees mean with -11 windchills. Decided to skip it!

I wear my regular running shoes, but I have heard of people getting train runners for running in snow. You can also look up something called YakTrax. They attach to your shoes for running in the snow.

I tend to run at night during the winter (so lots of reflective wear, blinkers, etc). Especially in December because I like to see all the Christmas lights.

So basically I just make sure I have my gloves, ear wrap, pants, running jackets, etc and it's all good.

Once I get going, I typically don't really notice the cold (assuming I dressed for it). But I do notice that I don't sweat as much!
  • RGv2
    Options
    Good god that's cold! I'm in the 40's here in Seattle area and I'm about ready to call it in and go with HIIT bodyweight circuits for the rest of the season. That's my plan once I see ice!

I guess "good god that's cold" is subjective for 20 above.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

^^Agreed! I'm looking forward to our projected 21 on Saturday for when we go get our Christmas Tree!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    -10 F 15 mph winds here on Tuesday and I wore tights under running pants, cold gear compression shirt under a long sleeve technical tee that was under a half zip fleece. Single pair of socks in a nike free 3.0 with yaktrax run attached. HVLO headphones underneath a nike dri-fit balaclava and fleece UA running gloves. 5:30 am run and stay motivated by looking at my ol' fat self!! Ran 5 miles but didn't warm up until after #1.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I live in the Midwest, and it's been colder and windier than normal lately. I have been running in the cold, and it's not too bad once you get used to it. During the week, I run right after work but try to do my weekend longer run in the morning - it's been really windy and the mornings are the calmest.

I'm running after work tonight, it is supposed to be 19F with 18 mph winds (wind chill of 3 degrees). I will try to run perpendicular to the wind as much as possible, that's easier for me than the wind in my face. My gear for tonight: Running pants, wool running socks, insulated baselayer top, warmer long sleeved top, hat and gloves. I also will wear a neoprene mask that covers my nose and mouth because cold air is one of the triggers for my asthma. I wear my regular running shoes. There are gore-tex lined running shoes available, but I don't want to spend the money on them and my feet never seem to get cold when running.

My motivation - I just signed up for a winter 10k series and a spring half marathon, so I have to get out there and train!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I can post something useful: I usually train for my big races (half marathons) through the winter. Investing in GOOD gear is worth it for training outside in the cold. I wear (almost exclusively) under armour cold gear - it really does a good job insulating. I wear cold gear running leggings, and one or two long sleeve cold gear shirts (last night's 20 degree run i wore a cold gear turtleneck under a gold gear zip up), i always wear earmuffs (180s), and running gloves. For REALLY cold days I have hand warmers I bought in bulk off Amazon that I stick in my gloves - they do a decent job of keeping my fingers warm.

Running does make you feel 10-15 degrees warmer - so I feel good after about a mile or so.

I also like running in the cold because sweat doesn't drip down my face, and I find I'm not as thirsty.

Use the cold to motivate you to run faster! My main advice is invest in the lightest, warmest gear you can - I would have a hard time running bulky sweatshirts, sweatpants, etc...
  • RGv2
    Options

^^Agreed! I'm looking forward to our projected 21 on Saturday for when we go get our Christmas Tree!

I'm looking forward to flooding the rink in temps above zero, I think for the first time this winter, tonight.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,586 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to look into all of the clothing and sneaker suggestions when I get home from work! The reflectors thing is wicked important in Boston too because the drivers (and pedestrians) are crazy when it comes to traffic rules haha!

You guys are awesome! :)
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for a while and in the past, I've let the cold weather put a damper on running outside. But after paring down my budget, I decided to cut out my gym membership and like you, just run outside. The biggest factor for me has been investing in warm running clothes. (True, you have to spend money on this apparel, but you only have to buy it once, compared to 3 - 5 months worth of a gym membership during cold months.)

- Fleece Leggings - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Climate-Right-by-Cuddl-Duds-Stretch-Fleece-Thermal-Legging/26923599

- Fleece-Lined Rain Jacket - http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70414

- Compression Top - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rocky-Thermals-Compression-Top-Black-Pink/28856258

- Face Mask - http://www.amazon.com/Headsokz-Polartec-Windbloc-Waterproof-Winter/dp/B006DNJMA2/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1386879296&sr=1-1

- Fleece Gloves

- Fleece Head Wrap
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have recently started working out more than I have in the past in order to get fit by the summer. A big factor in losing weight is cardio. I can not afford a gym membership right now, so treadmills, ellipticals, and cycling are out for me. I have been considering running out in the city and using RunKeeper to track my runs and so forth. The thing is, I live in New England and it is FREEZING here (today it's only 20 degrees, but feels like 8 degrees outside!) and the cold temperature does not motivate me at all to go outside and run.

What types of sneakers do you wear (do they have any that are good for the snow/slush/ice)?

Thanks guys!

Hello fellow NewEnglander how are you?

I would say get fitted for running shoe. Run when it is light out so you do not get run over(Noon would be your best bet if you can get out at lunch).Get some good socks like some smart wool, a good wind breaker, gloves, and ear warmer. It is expensive but worth it for good gear. there are websites you can get discounts and Eastern Mountain Sports has some good gear chearper. I normally hit the dreadmill because it is too dark out when I have time to run!.

backcountry.com & mountaingear.com
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's been 20 degrees or less in DC and I like to run along the water where it gets extra windy. I find that putting a hooded windbreaker on top of my running gear makes a HUGE difference in my comfort. With that, my under armour fleece pants, and long sleeved shirt over t-shirt, I was quite comfortable. Good luck to you. I totally understand the feeling :wink:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Thanks guys!

Live in Canada. Coach for the Running Room chain of running stores. I also run outdoors year round. The weather for Sunday is still in my profile picture in fact. Basically though it is all about preparation. I've posted quite a few times on this subject. My Tuesday night run was at -44 degrees celcius (yes that is a minus sign). I guess you could say I know a thing or two or twelve about running in the cold.

1. Dress as though its 5-10 degrees warmer. This will keep you from overheating but will keep you warm once you've started.
    2. Dress in layers. Start with a tech fabric base, add a wind resistant outer and add a middle layer as the temps drop. My typical mid layer is polar fleece, but when really cold will double up layers.
    3. Dress the torso more than your legs. Legs are seldom cold in comparison.
    4. Cover your head. Most heatloss occurs from the top deck. Protect it.
    5. Be mindful of exposed skin when there is a windchill. I missed a spot the other night where my shirt rode up. I have a nice frostbite patch on my stomach. One way to reduce windburn is to apply a layer of vaseline to your cheeks or exposed skin.
    6. Try to plan your routes to start into the wind and finish with the wind at your back. Later in your run, you will be happy the wind is at your back.
    7 Being winter the days are short and night falls early. Try to wear brightly lit clothing, and reflective gear. I wear powered LED lights that make it easier to be seen as well as making it easier to see.
    8. Winter running gear doesn't need to be expensive. Think layers. My outer shell is likely my most expensive piece.
    9. For sneakers, I wear the same year round. I did invest in some Yak Trax. You can accomplish similar by screwing some short hex head screws into the soles of your shoes. I do know many runners that will switch to a trail shoe for the winter as it offers more stability.
    10. To stay motivated, I run with a group of friends and sign up for winter events. I have signed up for the Hypothermic Half Marathon in February and a 5 Km Resolution Run on New Years Morning. Many running stores have Run Clubs that will let you run with them for free (i.e Running Room has free run club on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings.)
    11. Start slow and warm up. Cold muscles are more prone to injury.

Feel free to add me as a friend or ask if you have any questions.

Cheers,