Real Weight

Options
This may be a stupid question but it has been frustrating me for a while and I don't want it to get in the way of my recent motivation. I weigh myself first thing in the morning and then again after coming back from work. I always weigh less ( sometimes up to 2 lbs) in the afternoon than in the morning. I always assumed that it was best to weigh myself first thing in the morning but I'm getting a lower number in the afternoon which is making me wonder, which is my real weight?

Replies

• prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Everybody's weight fluctuates at different times of the day based on their meal timing and food habits.

Pick one time and weigh yourself at that time of day every time. That will become your "real weight".

It sounds like after work is when your previous meals have the least amount of influence on your weight since your gut isn't as full, so maybe stick with that one.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a "real" weight. It will vary constantly based on a multitude of factors. All that matters is that you weight yourself at the same time of day. Weighing your self frequently will only cause frustration, so I suggest once per week - same day, same time. Good luck!
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies!

I know I shouldn't be weighing myself so often but it's a habit I'm trying to cut off...I tend to weight myself 3-4 times a day which I know is terrible but slowly I will control my urge for that scale
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Answer: The lower number. Always. Rinse. Repeat.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It's likely water fluctuations. If you tend to not drink much in the way of water during the day, or if you drink many caffeinated beverages that act as diuretics, you could weigh less in the afternoon. Or weighing after a workout does the same thing if you sweat a lot.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    plot it on a graph. do you have a "real trend"?

(mfp does it for you)
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do drink lots of liquid during the day.

The MFP trend is what I lose on a weekly basis, and it really isn't consistent but between 1-2.5 lbs a week
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Normally you would weigh more the later it is in the day, as you would have consumed fluids and food.

Never heard of weighing less in the afternoon than the morning???