Dungeness Crab!

33Freya
33Freya Posts: 468 Member
I got a couple of pounds of Dungeness crab meat- but I don't want to make fattening crab cakes out of it. Throw me your best LIGHT recipes!! :tongue:

Replies

• Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    IMO, just steaming the crab in a pot by itself is heaven! When I flavor it up, I usually dip it in butter, apple cider vinegar, and old bay seasoning.

Now... I have to buy some crab meat :smile:
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but maybe try a crab and corn chowder?

http://www.healthy-delicious.com/2010/09/crab-and-corn-chowder/

I haven't made this personally, but it looks pretty solid and if made as directed, should clock in at under 200 calories a serving. You could also sub another cup of broth for one cup of of half and half, and just puree some of the potatoes and corn (after cooking) to make the soup extra creamy with less calories.

You can also check out www.skinnytaste.com and custom search for recipes with crab. I've made several of her recipes from this website and have been incredibly pleased with all of them.

Hope this helps! :-)
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    There is no better crab than dungeness.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Chowder is a great idea... think I'm gonna use it for NYE. It's frozen btw...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Crab, spinach and old bay egg white omelet?
  • MY FAV food on EARTH!!

make a light salad of crab meat, parsley and a lemon/mustard viniagrette. If you like fried green tomatoes (I bake mine to reduce the fat), top with this salad and it is amazing. or you could top some delicious salad greens with the crab salad.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I got a couple of pounds of Dungeness crab meat- but I don't want to make fattening crab cakes out of it. Throw me your best LIGHT recipes!! :tongue:

oh god, sautee with butter then roast in the oven. done. done done done done.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Crab is my favorite! I like just heating it on a stove and adding Old Bay seasoning. Seriously it's good without much of anything added to it. lol
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,601 Member
    No recipe. Just in to say I am jealous.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,601 Member
    Chinese crab and sweetcorn soup.
  • beckyzalldat
    beckyzalldat Posts: 236 Member
    CRAB YUMMYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Fattening Crab Cakes?

Crab cakes aren't fattening. I make crab cakes with full fat mayo and ritz crackers, where about 1 lb of crab will yield a dozen crab cakes .. I then pan fry them in olive oil ..

Per Crab Cake:
    119 cal
    4 g carbs
    8g fat
    8g protein
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Mmm...crab.../homersimpsondroolynoise

If you're open to the idea of a lighter crabcake, Cooking Light has a number of recipes at http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/crab-cake-recipes-00412000077232/; many use Greek yogurt or reduced-fat sour cream as a binder. Om nom nom.

This little delectation from Williams-Sonoma also looks quite good- very light and elegant. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/crab-salad-with-grapefruit-avocado-and-fresh-herbs.html
  • Egg white crab omelette.

Crab Louis salad

My favorite way is straight in a bowl with a fork...yumm
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    salad with crab, artichokes, olives, etc.... I'm not sure what its called, but I'm sure you can find in on Google & its great!
    Or do a crab pot: crab, corn on the cob (halves), potatoes, etc; steam in a pot with Old Bay, its delicious!