Treadmill woes!

Options
So. Winter is here! And my preferred and recommended exercise is walking. ( due to a hip condition ) so in order to eat more I have been embarking on long walks. Generally I go over 5 miles a day at work and on days off I aim for 5 - 10. Gyms are too expensive as they are, and I have taken on swimming here and there but don't really enjoy it like I thought I would.

So Im walking in gail force winds. Rain, -2 ( which is ok once you get going ) and generally its getting harder to find the right weather to do this walking thing! Im also super social right now as its the Xmas season so its a pain in the *kitten* leaving the house in the cold at 7am to walk for 1.5 hours so I can dash home and go about the rest of my day.

I have this wonderful notion. I picture myself with a treadmill in the livingroom. Doing a 1.5 hour walk in the morning in the comfort of my own home and then going about my day feeling fufilled. No cold weather, no bad terrain.

Did I know that they are about £200 and UP? no! lol Some are in the thousands!. I'm devastated. I have put ads everywhere looking for a used or a giveaway but with no luck. Gumtree ( uk version of Craigslist ) has been fruitless as the few ads I've emailed aren't replying. I'd be happy to pay for the van to pick it up!

Anyway, the best offer I have had is a non motorised one for £40, a woman who lives down the road. Upon reading many reviews I have read non motorised aren't very good. Especially not for walking ( running is not an option for me ) as apparently to get the belt moving it causes a lot of friction on the joints. Very bad for my hip.

Can someone help me out and tell me if you have a non motorised and if I should get it knowing that I will only use it to walk? Are they hard on your joints? I am desperate to get a treadmill one way or another!

All opinions wanted and welcome!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    While usually non-motorized goes right along with no incline options, there are some non-motorized that have incline.

In which case it's pretty easy if the incline can be changed while moving - you learn what incline to start out super easy, and you lower it to whatever level of effort you want once you get going.
    Since the gravity is always pulling you on the belt down, these mainly work ONLY for walking, because the belt works best with you actually on it, rolling back. Then you step up.

Do they have the stair stepper type equipment, that can be close to walking, though no striding is done, still a good workout.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thanks Heybales!

I actually had a stepper for 6 or so years. I threw it out in the summer as I was using it at the beginning of my journey and really didnt enjoy it. Mad, I know. ( I threw it out mostly because it was getting really stiff, maybe water damaged sitting under the boiler? )

My niche is definitely plain old walking. Yes its limited but its the only thing I never get bored of. Thanks for your advice, I might just pick that manual one up later this month!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Look into Leslie Sansone DVDs, which are 'walk in place' type workouts. Or simple hi/low aerobics ones. There are gentle, no-impact ways to move indoors.

Look into a rebounder. It doesn't have to be hard on your hips.

Consider walking less and eating less. 5-10 miles a day is a LOT. I'd be concerned that level might even be more damaging to hips than beneficial. At least consider blending in other activity. How about yoga?

A lot of us dreamed of loving our treadmills and they sit and gather dust. They're dull. Is there one of those cheapie gyms around? There are ones here that are like $10/month. You should try it before buying one, if money is tight.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well, it probably goes without saying but walking outside and walking on a treadmill are two totally different kinds of experiances.

I had a gf once who had only ever done cardio on a treadmill. She was a beast, killing it on there every week but getting bored.

She started running outside and it was like she had learned something entirely new. She loved it, workouts went by quicker because they were interesting.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to try out the treadmill somewhere if you can. They are boring, but I've known people who regularly use them happily every day. If you still want one, there are a lot of people who will buy them in December or January for their resolutions and then want rid of them by Spring.

Other options to walking outside, and that don't cost too much, is:
    -- walking inside. There are a number of malls near me that open early for people to walk before the stores open. Even huge individual stores can be used for walking once you've figured out a path to use in them and go when they aren't heavily used.
    -- DVD, as suggested Leslie Sansone make some nice ones and some or parts of some are available for you to try out on youtube
    -- Get someone's old Wii and get Wii Fit Plus, the step routine on there is really fun, and buy some of the other Wii exercise games; Walk It Out can be fun.

Just some of my suggestions.
  • Gee_24
    Options
    Look into Leslie Sansone DVDs, which are 'walk in place' type workouts. Or simple hi/low aerobics ones. There are gentle, no-impact ways to move indoors.

Consider walking less and eating less. 5-10 miles a day is a LOT. I'd be concerned that level might even be more damaging to hips than beneficial. At least consider blending in other activity. How about yoga?

A lot of us dreamed of loving our treadmills and they sit and gather dust. They're dull. Is there one of those cheapie gyms around? There are ones here that are like $10/month. You should try it before buying one, if money is tight.

You know...the gym at my hotel is £25 a YEAR for staff. That's right. But I just like the idea of not having to leave the house as sometimes on a day off I love having a total pyjama day! I've actually got the forms for the gym, just need to General Manager to sign them off. I suppose I shouldn't shell out £££s when I can do a 30 minute walk to work, use the treadmill, and then the 30 minute walk back. All giving me extra cals.

And yes, my hip is pretty sore right now. But eating less is so difficult. Being 4ft 8 my calorie allowance on a sedentary day is 1200. Thats just NOT to put on weight, thats maintaining. I cant maintain 1200 for life, I really cant. Walking usually gets me another 800 calories and I really value that. Especially since friends and family keep turning up out of the blue and we end up out for dinner and drinks. Its nice to know my work out is done and I would love to do it first thing in the house so I don't have to do it in haste at 11pm at night once I get home after an unexpected day out! Walking about the streets at that time isnt a good idea so I skip it here and there.

I have just found a great full length DVD on Youtube!! I will be trying this tomorrow. Thank you so much, if it burns at least 500 I will be really happy and stick with these kind of things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoN_rvyeG0Y

Well, it probably goes without saying but walking outside and walking on a treadmill are two totally different kinds of experiances.

I had a gf once who had only ever done cardio on a treadmill. She was a beast, killing it on there every week but getting bored.

She started running outside and it was like she had learned something entirely new. She loved it, workouts went by quicker because they were interesting.

I'm the opposite! haha I've been walking outside almost daily since July and have ran out of interesting places to go. Now I just stick my head down, blast the tunes, and cant stop thinking about wanting to get it over with and get myself back home. :(
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This!^

I got really tired of my treadmill .....started "walking" with Leslie Sansone. The beauty of these types of routines is the moves are simple enough to modify....if side steps bother you.....replace them with something else.

I recently got a rebounder (mini-trampoline) to use with Leslie DVDs ....the higher end models are really gentle on the joints.
  • jdashiell90
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a membership to the cheapest gym around you and using the elliptical trainer. It's very low impact (less so than a treadmill) and you can burn more calories in less time.
  • itsmeltc
    itsmeltc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    £25 a year is a bargain :-) I'm paying more than double that a month where I live! If you don't want to workout at work, do you have any council owned leisure centres nearby? The gyms there are usually way cheaper than the commercially branded ones, and from what I've found have the exact same equipment and are much quieter.
  • Gee_24
    Options
    This!^

I got really tired of my treadmill .....started "walking" with Leslie Sansone. The beauty of these types of routines is the moves are simple enough to modify....if side steps bother you.....replace them with something else.

I recently got a rebounder (mini-trampoline) to use with Leslie DVDs ....the higher end models are really gentle on the joints.

I'm definitely liking the Leslie Sansone idea. I have just added the link I posted to my bookmarks and will give it a go tomorrow if my flatmates arent home. I'll be working 6-Midnight so it will be nice to work out in the house for a change instead of walking around outside from 11am - 1pm !

I'd recommend getting a membership to the cheapest gym around you and using the elliptical trainer. It's very low impact (less so than a treadmill) and you can burn more calories in less time.

My work gym is very limited but I'm still also considering joining up regardless. I wonder if they have the elliptical? I think its the cheapest option if I don't enjoy the DVD workouts or if the house is busy. Thanks for the tip!
    £25 a year is a bargain :-) I'm paying more than double that a month where I live! If you don't want to workout at work, do you have any council owned leisure centres nearby? The gyms there are usually way cheaper than the commercially branded ones, and from what I've found have the exact same equipment and are much quieter.

Its a super bargain! My council gym starts at about £26 per month I believe? So £25 a year is a SUPER price!
  • Gee_24
    Options
    I tried 2 of her DVDs yesterday - excellent!

The first was " 4 fast miles " - but I could definitely tell I wasn't quite doing it full pelt, as when I checked my fitbit it confirmed I'd only reached 2.9 miles. So I decided to do another DVD, 3 mile walk. And that got me almost the entire 3 miles as I really threw myself into it. I think practice will help and after a week or so I'll hopefully hit the 4 miles properly and just do one DVD a day.

So thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! My muscles are very sore though as you really put your whole body into the boosted walking parts.

Thanks again. :D
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Wow, they have manual treadmills that are under $100.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would honestly say don't bother. You'll spend the money and whatever you get won't be what you have in your head. I've done it many times - thinking that I'd buy it and be really active and it would solve all my problems. It doesn't. It just sits there gathering dust and I wish I had my money back.
    You're much better off persevering with going out. The mental strength it will take to get you motivated to go out and do it us much better for you. It shows commitment and fortitude that you need to reach your goals.
    Anyway, just my 2 pennies
  • Gee_24
    Options
    I would honestly say don't bother. You'll spend the money and whatever you get won't be what you have in your head. I've done it many times - thinking that I'd buy it and be really active and it would solve all my problems. It doesn't. It just sits there gathering dust and I wish I had my money back.
    You're much better off persevering with going out. The mental strength it will take to get you motivated to go out and do it us much better for you. It shows commitment and fortitude that you need to reach your goals.
    Anyway, just my 2 pennies

Thanks , much appreciated!

Well today I have a full house so I decided to venture out on a short walk. Unfortunately we have another bout of high winds and rain. I was really struggling to stay on course as the wind was blowing me all over the place and the rain soaked through my clothes. So I've decided to do the DVD and just told my flatmates to turn the sound up on the tv so they dont hear me stomping upstairs! lol

I think this DVD + the gym at work is the way to go in this crappy winter. Once summer comes Im sure the walks will once again feel a lot more rewarding.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There you go, spend the money on some decent outdoor clothes.

No cotton for cool weather at all, breathable to rain proof breathable shell, hat, gloves, ect.

Don't need the most expensive stuff, polyester is polyester and won't absorb moisture, but rain shield that is breathable is a design thing, so money well spent.

And so true on point just getting out and walking, and what it can do to you for future goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqhCsgYkLJE
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    The gym membership is probably the most cost-effective option. But I'm gonna chime in here with a different perspective. I am a walker too - I walked 5-10 miles a day when I was losing, and I still walk several miles most days. Years ago, I got my son a treadmill for high school track training... He didn't really use it, but we never got around to getting rid of it. This year, I started using the treadmill when it was too late or too hot out to walk outside. I. Freaking. LOVE IT. I seldom get bored with it; I keep the pace brisk enough that boredom doesn't really set in. I trained myself to run on it and ran my first 5k about six weeks ago. I've found all sorts of benefits to having a treadmill in the house. At home, it's convenient to toss in a load of laundry and walk on the treadmill until it's time to put it in the dryer. Movies and music are options too, as is just thinking and clearing your head.

I can't speak to the non-motorized option. Mine is motorized and has incline settings. I think that if I were in your position, I'd go with the gym membership now and start saving to buy my own a year or two from now. If the gym membership works out so well that you lose your interest in getting one... You can spend the money on something else instead. :smile:
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a cheap gym then i'd use it. Even if it's a very limited selection they'll have motorised treadmills and probably ellipticals. I joined a hotel gym and it's pretty good although it does get busy at weekends, but better than trying to walk in the wind and pouring rain.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Wait until Feb or Mar 2014 and you can get a like new treadmill really cheap per the post New Year resolutions.
    Some are in the thousands!. I'm devastated. I have put ads everywhere looking for a used or a giveaway but with no luck. Gumtree ( uk version of Craigslist ) has been fruitless as the few ads I've emailed aren't replying. I'd be happy to pay for the van to pick it up!
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

-- Get someone's old Wii and get Wii Fit Plus, the step routine on there is really fun, and buy some of the other Wii exercise games; Walk It Out can be fun.

Just some of my suggestions.

I started my journey on a Wii fit. It was a great place to start and I still use it as my scale and sometimes to do the stretching.
  • camperbc
    camperbc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I bought a new treadmill in September and just LOVE it!! It is made by Nordictrack, and was on sale for $500... money well spent as I use it almost every day. I live in Northern Newfoundland, so there are not many opportunities for outside exercise this time of year. I am disabled with a permanent spinal injury, (am bedridden much of the time) so walking is about the only exercise I am capable of. I thoroughly enjoy walking to the beat of the music that I play with my mp3 player plugged into the treadmill's console, which has built-in speakers. Keeping rhythm with the music makes the time just fly by. It is working too, as I have lost 34 lbs since I bought the treadmill. (last week of Sept)