Back on the Wagon (again)

Options
So I did really good last year then I gained ALL the weight back, plus a few more pounds. I need some motivation and tips, so please tell me what works for you, what keeps you on the straight & narrow?

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My mom had gastric bypass surgery this year for having major weight issues and my whole family is obese, some morbidly obese. I was on the same track and became morbidly obese when I was in college and it was getting worse and worse. I decided that I didn't want to end up having to have surgery or heart disease or death at an early age. Loving yourself and wanting what is best for yourself is really important to be successful. You have to want it, know why, set goals and work hard. After time, it almost becomes a habit. Good luck!
  • Nicole_gets_a_grip
    Options
    I think you know the answer to this already hun because you've done it already. It sounds more like you need help to get started again and then to stick with it.

I'm definitely not best placed to tell you how to stick with it as I just got back on the wagon myself but my impotus to get back to it was when I realised I was snapping at my husband, not because I was more or less annoyed or cross than usual but because I felt bad about myself and that is all related to how I look!

I know that I feel better the lighter I am, I know that my weight will fluctuate because I like food! But I'll have to try and make the best choices I can every day and on the days I don't I'll try and do the best I can the next day.
    ...Then as I feel better about myself I can do more and more.

Just keep on going. Tomorrow make a good choice for breakfast, pack some lunch for work and go from there.

Good luck xx
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well you have had success before, but sadly it didn't last....sometimes it can take more than one attempt to get all the often complex interactions around food clear in your head so you have a plan that is sustainable for the rest of your life.

Maybe having a really close look into why you want to lose weight (it may be vanity, clothing, self-esteem or you are experiencing health issues)....then have a think about how you are going to achieve this loss. It's time to be really honest about what foods you consistently eat and whether they are helping or hindering your ability to stay on track; ie did you bail last year because you tried to cut out too much and consequently felt deprived. Then there is incorporating exercise into your world.....don't be afraid to experiment.....not everyone enjoys the same routines.....find something you love, that brings you satisfaction and keep it up.

Finally, have patience, track your calories meticulously (use a scale), don't freak out if you have an off time.....just get back on track as soon as possible and in no time you will be posting your own story on the Success Board.

Wishing you all the best.
  • nobleh5
    nobleh5 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I host a fitness accountability group on facebook and we would be more than happy for you to join. The other girls definitely help keep me motivated.
  • susanlouise
    susanlouise Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know, it's hard - I lost a bunch of weight, did fine for about a year and a half, fell off the wagon, and gained about half of it back in about 2 years. It was a big step getting back on the wagon - I think of it like I'm on one side of the groove or another, it's hard to jump from one groove to the other, but once you're in the right groove, you can stay there. At least that's the way it is for me. In my case, I told my doctor I was going to lose weight again, and signed up with a nutritionist, and that got me back in the right groove.