Will my calves always be this huge?

Options
I'm going into my third week of MFP and seeing great results :) My question is that I was super active as a child and I was in a lot of dance classes and built up a bunch of muscle from it especially in my calves. Looking at my calves they seem to be pretty much all muscle but they're HUGE! I want to know that if I continue to work out and lose weight will I lose any weight in my calves or not because they are made up of mostly muscle?

Replies

• eheinze12
    eheinze12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    earlier this year I had lost almost 45 pounds and my calves did not shrink very much at all! I know this sucks because you can't ever change them and alot of strength training programs want you to work your calf muscles too so that you build muscle everywhere. I tend to skip calf workouts because of how big mine are. :\
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    omg I hope that isnt the case. I have been wondering the same thing. My calf muscles are huge too, and I always thought it was fat, but my hubby swears its muscle, and I am like WHAT!?!?!? Since I cant wear cute knee high boots yet due to my big calves I was REALLY hoping they would go down as I lost weight. Somebody PLEASE give us good news here lol
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    nope but be prepare for them to be the last to slim mines were 20 now they are 12
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    oh man that IS bad news, i too am part of the large calf club! Just today actually, i changed my measurements to include "ankle" LOL i have never been large, but i have always had LARGE ankles! (and calves too)
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am very fat and jiggly all over, but when it comes to my calves, I am like a body builder. They are large and solid as a rock. But then, I figured I had to carry so much weight most my life, it like doing weight training 24hrs a day with them. LOL
  • rpbabs
    rpbabs Posts: 16
    Options
    This is sad/bad news. :( I agree about not being able to wear cute boots because they typically run small around the calf area.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Mine shrank. Mine've always been big because of tennis, dance and horseback riding. But mine've shrunk in the last month and a half. All the running on the treadmill and the pumping on the elliptical has shrunk'm. I have these knee boots I spent 3 years searching for (just finding a boot that would fit around my calf was a nightmare.) And now they're loose on my leg where I could barely zip them before. I don't think I'll ever have slim legs, they'll always be muscular, but they did get smaller.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ladies (and gents) !!!! I have the same issue :-/ However I have spent many a fall season finding boots that fit. OK my calves have about a 15" circumference, maybe a little bigger. BCBG (the have extended calf sizes), Report, Steve Madden and Guess all have boots with a bit more wiggle room :) no joke, I ripped the zipper on the back of my UGGS because they were so tight :-X however, women with bigger calves look super sexy in heels so at least we have that going for us :)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    This is sad/bad news. :( I agree about not being able to wear cute boots because they typically run small around the calf area.

One of my friends on here, 00trayn, found boots to fit her larger calves. I think they were from Payless. I will ask her and respond back again when i have an answer.

Ok, she was around. Here is her response:
    Hey!

I bought them from Payless. They were only $50 and I found a coupon code online. I've never been able to wear zip up boots and these actually fit! Anyway, here's the link to the exact pair.

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?skuId=079318100&productId=67818&subCatId=cat10046&catId=cat10088&lotId=079318&category=&catdisplayName=Womens+

Make sure you pick the wide-extended calf option at the bottom half of the size selection dropdown. I've found they run pretty true to size.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    :-X however, women with bigger calves look super sexy in heels so at least we have that going for us :)

Hoo, yeah! We rock the heels! XD
  • jerseygirl777
    Options
    So glad I am NOT the only one! I was athletic through my youth so my calves have always been larger. I am definitely going to check out some of those boots!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've got naturally big calves too. They do get bigger with weight, but not much. Therefore they dont get much smaller either :ohwell:
  • rpbabs
    rpbabs Posts: 16
    Options

One of my friends on here, 00trayn, found boots to fit her larger calves. I think they were from Payless. I will ask her and respond back again when i have an answer.

Ok, she was around. Here is her response:
    Hey!

I bought them from Payless. They were only $50 and I found a coupon code online. I've never been able to wear zip up boots and these actually fit! Anyway, here's the link to the exact pair.

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?skuId=079318100&productId=67818&subCatId=cat10046&catId=cat10088&lotId=079318&category=&catdisplayName=Womens+

Make sure you pick the wide-extended calf option at the bottom half of the size selection dropdown. I've found they run pretty true to size.

Thank you! :D