Why am I not losing weight?

Options
Hi. I'm 5'2" and 170lbs. I've been working out for at least an hour 5-6 days for the past two weeks and I just recently trimmed my calorie intake to 1,200-1,500 calories. I know it's too soon for a noticeable difference but I have not lost any weight at all and it's quite demotivating. Is this normal?

Replies

• bama1momma
    bama1momma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you lost inches though?
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Starting weight loss takes time before progress starts to be made. Make sure that when you are eating, you are correctly measuring all of your servings and not just estimating how much you are eating to get an honest calorie intake each day. Also keep in mind that MFP sometimes over estimates calories burned with their exercises and you may not be burning as many calories as you think you are.

Make sure that if you are exercising a lot you are eating enough. 1,200 calories is not enough food if you are exercising that day. It would be better to eat the 1,200 plus the exercise calories back.

Other things to keep in mind is:
    water retention may show a higher number on the scale and will alleviate with time
    the number on the scale doesn't show fat loss and muscle gain, taking measurements is a better indicator
    it takes time to lose weight in a healthy way, some weeks you may not lose anything and some weeks you may lose a lot, stay patient and continue with your eating habits and exercise
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 5'2" and 170lbs. I've been working out for at least an hour 5-6 days for the past two weeks and I just recently trimmed my calorie intake to 1,200-1,500 calories. I know it's too soon for a noticeable difference but I have not lost any weight at all and it's quite demotivating. Is this normal?
    This could be normal, however, 2 weeks seems like a little long to not notice any changes. I can tell you that the advice du jour, and it absolutely works, will be the following:

1. Weigh and take measurements around the same time. A generalized consensus is to do it in the morning, sans clothes and after first bathroom visit.
    2. Reassess your calorie calculations. We all struggle to report accurately.
    3. Reassess your calorie burn on exercise, if you are eating back your calories. It is so incredibly easy to over estimate.
    4. Take measurements. Often times they will show you change is occurring when weight alone is not providing evidence.
    5. Stick With It! You didn't arrive here in two weeks. It takes time. There will be plateaus that are perfectly normal.

You are not alone is struggling with disappointment about beginning results. This takes commitment and effort. You are already past the hard part; getting of your mental duff and starting. You can do this.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    It always seems to be people who just started a fairly aggressive new exercise program that are the ones dealing with scale freeze. Assuming you're being honest and accurate with your calories, it has to be water retention related to exercise. Keep going and you'll see a loss. No one is immune to the calories-in, calories-out rule.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing for 4 more weeks and assess. Beginning a new workout/exercise routine will artificially hide weight loss by increasing water retention. If you still haven't lost weight after 4 more weeks, ensure that your caloric tracking is accurate.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It always seems to be people who just started a fairly aggressive new exercise program that are the ones dealing with scale freeze. Assuming you're being honest and accurate with your calories, it has to be water retention related to exercise.

I'm dubious. Meaningful water retention requires meaningful muscular stress, but the body can only work so hard on 1200 calories a day. IMO the numbers don't add up, so until demonstrated otherwise I'm going with the "eating more than you think, moving less than you think".

Anyway, need at least a couple more weeks of consistent logging to know for sure.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    1. Weigh and take measurements around the same time. A generalized consensus is to do it in the morning, sans clothes and after first bathroom visit.
    2. Reassess your calorie calculations. We all struggle to report accurately.
    3. Reassess your calorie burn on exercise, if you are eating back your calories. It is so incredibly easy to over estimate.
    4. Take measurements. Often times they will show you change is occurring when weight alone is not providing evidence.
    5. Stick With It! You didn't arrive here in two weeks. It takes time. There will be plateaus that are perfectly normal.

You are not alone is struggling with disappointment about beginning results. This takes commitment and effort. You are already past the hard part; getting of your mental duff and starting. You can do this.

Ditto.

I want to stress measurements are absolutely needed. I once had a weight loss plateau for 3 1/2 weeks and would have quit if I had not measured.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale and weigh everything you put in your mouth? More than likely you are eating more than you think.
  • SingForFun
    SingForFun Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting your concern, since I have exactly the same one. I feel my metabolism is simply dead. I am NOT a couch potato, and I don't sit around eating bonbons, but the scale does not want to budge. In my logging, I dropped the caloric burn today from the 600's that it mentions for jazzercise to 250. I have been doing that since I started logging (putting in a smaller number than is mentioned), thinking there is no way that I burn that much in exercise. I am tracking like a hawk and being very careful with inputting, so please include your progress after following any of the suggestions these folks gave you so I can see there is hope. I am getting out the measuring tape, since in the past I have been on plans where I followed it exactly, and was the only one who did not lose weight, but did lose fat. This slow weight loss does feel exasperating at times. Also, I am logging very carefully since I want to see what a practitioner tells me when I show them what I have been eating and the way I lose weight like a turtle. I simply do not believe in the calorie in, calorie out thing. That is science from the past. All calories are simply not created equal. One thing I am noticing is that my sugar grams are higher than what fitness pal says they should be and sugar is sugar, regardless if I am getting it from carrot juice or a candy bar, so I am going to try and eat less fruits and carrot juice and really pay more attention to the sugar grams in everything to see what I can do in that area, since my calories are good, and all the other elements are good, including exercise. Thanks again.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale and weigh everything you put in your mouth? More than likely you are eating more than you think.

This ^

It is very difficult to measure calories accurately without using a scale. Also, make sure you have accurate data. Some of the calories in the database are just plain wrong, or have the same calories listed for multiple portion sizes. And always log food before you eat it, so you can judge how much you want.

That being said, two weeks isn't enough to see real weight loss. You will lose a few pounds of water the first few days -- which may be masked if you have your period now -- but the normal ups and downs of water weight from day to day are greater than the real total of lost fat weight right now.

You can gain weight from exercise if your muscles are sore and stiff. It's water that makes them stiff. Don't let it discourage you.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

THIS. Sorry, OP, but unless you have a metabolic or other health problem that is preventing your weight loss (which, btw, is possible), then this is probably the case.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

4'11 here And noticed that my body got used to the cutting calories within 3-4 months. Then after, I started losing weight! :)

Patience and consistency is the key.

also try to think of this.

losing thirty to forty pound jus by cutting calories and being sedentary takes a year. so yeah, just keep on doing what your doing. if youre hungry then eat at maintenance kcal. mine is 1500.

Goodluck!
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

This ^

It is very difficult to measure calories accurately without using a scale. Also, make sure you have accurate data. Some of the calories in the database are just plain wrong, or have the same calories listed for multiple portion sizes. And always log food before you eat it, so you can judge how much you want.

That being said, two weeks isn't enough to see real weight loss. You will lose a few pounds of water the first few days -- which may be masked if you have your period now -- but the normal ups and downs of water weight from day to day are greater than the real total of lost fat weight right now.

You can gain weight from exercise if your muscles are sore and stiff. It's water that makes them stiff. Don't let it discourage you.

This too might be hindering ur weight loss!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting your concern, since I have exactly the same one. I feel my metabolism is simply dead. I am NOT a couch potato, and I don't sit around eating bonbons, but the scale does not want to budge. In my logging, I dropped the caloric burn today from the 600's that it mentions for jazzercise to 250. I have been doing that since I started logging (putting in a smaller number than is mentioned), thinking there is no way that I burn that much in exercise. I am tracking like a hawk and being very careful with inputting, so please include your progress after following any of the suggestions these folks gave you so I can see there is hope. I am getting out the measuring tape, since in the past I have been on plans where I followed it exactly, and was the only one who did not lose weight, but did lose fat. This slow weight loss does feel exasperating at times. Also, I am logging very carefully since I want to see what a practitioner tells me when I show them what I have been eating and the way I lose weight like a turtle. I simply do not believe in the calorie in, calorie out thing. That is science from the past. All calories are simply not created equal. One thing I am noticing is that my sugar grams are higher than what fitness pal says they should be and sugar is sugar, regardless if I am getting it from carrot juice or a candy bar, so I am going to try and eat less fruits and carrot juice and really pay more attention to the sugar grams in everything to see what I can do in that area, since my calories are good, and all the other elements are good, including exercise. Thanks again.

All calories are the same, but not all people are. The calorie consumption equation assumes everyone keeps their thermostat at the same temperature, that two people of the same age are equally active, that two people of the same weight have the same relative amounts of muscle and fat, etc. It gets you in the neighborhood of the correct amount, but small differences add up if you're actually measuring. I'm one of the lucky people who burns more calories than the equation says, but other people will burn less. If you've been measuring carefully, make a graph of what your weight was and what it should have been as time went on, and you should hopefully see a difference in slope that shows you what your actual consumption is.

BTW, most of your calories go to keeping your body warm. Exercise outside and peel off layers as you get warm. You'll burn a lot more calories if you are losing heat to the environment.
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna chime in to say that 2 weeks isn't really long enough to gauge progress if you're just starting out. It took me 3 weeks to see the scale move when I started. Also, weight loss isn't linear for a lot of people. I don't lose a set amount every week, my weight stagnates for 2 weeks, then my cycle hits and I may even gain weight , and a week after that my body will flush anywhere from 0.5 to 2 lbs, never to be seen again. Rinse and repeat. It's been like that for months and I've had a fairly consistent calorie goal so far.

So yes, definitely heed the advice of being as accurate as possible with logging the food and exercise, but also give it some time. It may take some time to get things rolling.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You haven't made your diary public, which makes it hard to see if there could be a problem there. I agree with everyone about weighing and measuring EVERYTHING. And don't forget that sauces, cooking oils, sodas, fruit juices etc all have LOADS of calories in them. You can easily destroy a calorie deficit with just these things.
  • Rkessel12
    Rkessel12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The two week mark is always where I find myself standing on the scale or in front of the mirror asking myself "Why do I bother!" LOL! And then inevitably if I hang in there for another week I start to see some results. It seems like about twice a year I'll go off the workout/nutrition wagon and put on 10 pounds and have to go through it again and every time it's the two week mark that gets me depressed. Hang in there and as somebody else mentioned, keep in mind the fact that if you are a smaller person you might not be burning as many calories as you think when you work out. Oh and a food scale helped me a lot. Anyway keep up the good work. You can do it!
  • riskybizness02
    Options
    Eld2310....that is just not true. and those who say less calories with working out works too-- is not accurate either.. I am a rare case where I have gained weight without trying for 5 years. 5 years of constant wondering trying new things and I gained 45 pounds. I am insulin resistant. I have sugar in my cells and I don't eat candy, cookies and soda.. I eat meat and vegies. and was eating bread minimally and whole wheat. I found with a naturopath two supplements that has recently made a difference. its n-acetylcysteine and pgx. Now I am losing weight I am now 167 and this is HUGE! My body would not burn the sugar-- I could not lose it til now. Now my workouts are successful, Now the sweating is paying off. I work out 4 days a week zumba and weights.
  • badfeet67
    Options
    Agree with the measuring. As an example, I was eating some dip with pita chips and the serving size said x grams (about 10 chips). Since I weigh everything I got out my scale and started piling on average size chips. At 7 chips I was above the serving weight in grams. Had to break one in half to get the right serving size. That means that if you ate the recommended 10 chips, then you would have consumed 35% more calories than you thought you had.

Also, the database is FRUSTRATINGLY variable in the reported numbers. I was at SAM's Club tonight and was going to have a Nathans hot dog with sour kraut. Luckily I tried to look it up before ordering. There was a range in the calories from 297 to 460. That is 163 calories different which is over 10% of what your daily target is. All of the numbers in the database are USER reported and some seem to be absolute guesses. When ever there is a range like that, try to find info on the company's web site or verify from multiple sources. (BTW, I was so annoyed that I skipped the dog and bought a rotisserie chicken and went home and ate it with wild rice.)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Read the links in here, if nothing works then, see a dr. something is probably physically wrong.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read