HRM/ FitBit?

Options
RosyBest
RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
I want to treat myself to a Christmas present. I really want to track my calories/ fat burned more efficiently. I hear a lot of people talking about HRM (heart rate monitors?) and fitbits? Anyone who uses these devices can you give me a suggestion? Are you able to log in your weight and just wear it all day? What works for you? Thanks, Rosy.

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I have both a Polar FT7 HRM and Fitbit Force (had Flex before). You don't wear the HRM all day, just when you work out. The only time I remove the Fitbit is to shower & charge it.
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have both- I use my Garmin GPS/HRM when I work out, but use the fitbit zip as an informational tool that helps me make better decisions regarding food choices or whether or not I need to get up and move a bit. What I have found is that my fitbit actually pretty consistently takes away calories for the day after I have logged my exercise using the HRM. I like this as it is a little buffer for me so I don't get crazy with going over my calories.
    The zip is easy to set up, and links right into mfp so it is so very convenient in that regard. Hope this helps a bit...
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one which I absolutely love. A HRM would be useless to me since I am on a beta blocker and prevents my heart rate from going to high. Good luck
  • RosyBest
    Options
    I have both- I use my Garmin GPS/HRM when I work out, but use the fitbit zip as an informational tool that helps me make better decisions regarding food choices or whether or not I need to get up and move a bit. What I have found is that my fitbit actually pretty consistently takes away calories for the day after I have logged my exercise using the HRM. I like this as it is a little buffer for me so I don't get crazy with going over my calories.
    The zip is easy to set up, and links right into mfp so it is so very convenient in that regard. Hope this helps a bit...

Yes that sounds pretty convenient, especially if it can link to MFP...that's awesome. Thanks.
  • RosyBest
    Options
    I have the fitbit one which I absolutely love. A HRM would be useless to me since I am on a beta blocker and prevents my heart rate from going to high. Good luck

Ok, thanks :)
  • maostrom
    maostrom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I adore my HRM because MFP calorie estimates are for the most part unreliable. I want a Fitbit Force when it gets released in my country though :)
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One and credit it with MAKING me exercise/walk more on a day to day basis which was lowish even though my hol hobby is mountain walking. I need something I can wear comfortably and constantly but not on wrist as I'm a nurse.

It has also been probably the only reason I have maintained this time of losing wt as I can see cals in/out and it has proved bang on for me. I hit goal in Feb after losing 2 stone and have maintained within 1-2lbs of that since instead of "ending" my diet and reverting to type.

Love it!
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The key point is to recognise that these are two really different things and used for different purposes.

The Fitbit is a pedometer, it tracks your daily steps and some level of intensity, but it does not accurately track your heart rate and does not track all forms of motion effectively - as such it will not give you an accurate burn rate for some exercises - such a cycling, rowing, swimming, weight lifting and gym classes.

I use it only to track my daily walking - and basically to keep me accountable for doing a certainly amount of steps a day - and it really does that.

I use a chest strap HRM for all exercise other than walking. The good thing is that the Fitbit will synch to MFP and when you log an exercise using a HRM it will overwrite the fitbit calculation for that period of time if you have it set up right. So it will give you a great read and much more accurate read if you want this.

Of course an HRM will also help you to set some fitness goals, times, distance, intensity, exertion also.

So in the end the two are complimentary.

There is Fitbit group here and if you ask to join there are lots of threads of information.

Good luck with your decision :)
  • LisaWillBeFit2014
    Options
    I'd be lost without my Body Media Link Core armband. It is the most accurate thing you can use to track your calories burned, sleep, minutes of activity, steps and it syncs right with myfitnesspal so you don't have to guess how many calories you burned. It's incredible. My husband just got one and we never go anywhere or do anything without them. www.bodymedia.com
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'd be lost without my Body Media Link Core armband. It is the most accurate thing you can use to track your calories burned, sleep, minutes of activity, steps and it syncs right with myfitnesspal so you don't have to guess how many calories you burned. It's incredible. My husband just got one and we never go anywhere or do anything without them. www.bodymedia.com

Body Media Link Core do you think that is better than the hrm and fitbit?
  • RosyBest
    Options
    The key point is to recognise that these are two really different things and used for different purposes.

The Fitbit is a pedometer, it tracks your daily steps and some level of intensity, but it does not accurately track your heart rate and does not track all forms of motion effectively - as such it will not give you an accurate burn rate for some exercises - such a cycling, rowing, swimming, weight lifting and gym classes.

I use it only to track my daily walking - and basically to keep me accountable for doing a certainly amount of steps a day - and it really does that.

I use a chest strap HRM for all exercise other than walking. The good thing is that the Fitbit will synch to MFP and when you log an exercise using a HRM it will overwrite the fitbit calculation for that period of time if you have it set up right. So it will give you a great read and much more accurate read if you want this.

Of course an HRM will also help you to set some fitness goals, times, distance, intensity, exertion also.

So in the end the two are complimentary.

There is Fitbit group here and if you ask to join there are lots of threads of information.

Good luck with your decision :)

Thanks, I did not realize that a fitbit was a pedometer. Sounds like a lot of people use both. This morning I've been researching some HRM's and pricing. Amazon seems the way to go. Thanks everyone for your input.