Good strength training routines?

Options
Where can I find good strength training routines in one place? I'm not talking about figuring out form, but rather the routines themselves. I've been told the order of the exercises matter (is that right?) so I don't want to bother with something that's not optimal.

It doesn't matter to me if it's on a website, or in a book. It would also be better if I could do most of the routine at home with few weights (I currently have 10 lb dumbbells, my pull-up bar, and resistance bands), but I can buy some more in time.

Thanks for your help! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'd take a look here:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

You can sign up and get the info free. Mehdi will update you by email every time he takes an f'ing dump, but it's a great strength routine.
  • Lozz68
    Lozz68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for Stronglifts (or Starting strength is very similar). I loved it as my first strength training progression - these do however really require you to have access to barbells
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Oh I completely missed the part about equipment somehow. :P

You can also do a lot with bodyweight exercises-- like Convict Conditioning (that'd incorporate your pullup bar, and it ought to be easy enough to work in resistance bands).

http://convict-conditioning.com/
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym for starters. Buy the book Starting Strength and read on that whilst you save up for more equipment ;)
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Check your local library for the books first. My library has both. It's nice to be able to check it out there first just to make sure you like it before you buy it.
  • ciarangibbo
    ciarangibbo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are your own gym. There is an app and a book, both are great and fit your needs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter to me if it's on a website, or in a book. It would also be better if I could do most of the routine at home with few weights (I currently have 10 lb dumbbells, my pull-up bar, and resistance bands), but I can buy some more in time.

Thanks for your help! :flowerforyou:

if it is an option join a gym, your body will thank you for it in the long run …
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'd take a look here:

You can sign up and get the info free. Mehdi will update you by email every time he takes an f'ing dump, but it's a great strength routine.

I second this, even the part about the "f'ing dump"!, if you're ever in a position to get yourself the equipment it needs.

Also be warned that Mehdi is very "bro and dude" oriented, although the program works equally as well for men and women. I signed up to get his info then very quickly unsubscribed from the emails.

Without a lot of equipment, then You are your own Gym is a pretty good book.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym for starters. Buy the book Starting Strength and read on that whilst you save up for more equipment ;)

These are great and so is startbodyweight.com. Cheers.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'd take a look here:

You can sign up and get the info free. Mehdi will try to sell you membership to his forum by email every time he takes an f'ing dump, but it's a great strength routine.

Fixed that for you.
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    JeFit.com and they have a free app. Me and another MFP friend put a couple of routines together there called TUFF and TUFFer by newagainpam and liftheavyweights. All our workouts are adaptive no matter what equipment you have available. I am an at home exerciser with dumbbells, pull-up bar, resistance tubes, and exercise ball.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    try looking up strength unbound- great site by guy (he's on here as well as another of my forums)- about body weight training.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    try looking up strength unbound- great site by guy (he's on here as well as another of my forums)- about body weight training.

Love that site! What is his name here?
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! I'll start checking this out.

I am a member at a climbing gym. We have quite a bit of weights, but not everything, though they're relocating in March and may have more equipment then. Problem is, I get there and just want to climb, so that's why I'm looking for at-home routines. :smile: