Recipes around 350 calories per serving?

Options
Hey, So, it's 6:15 and I need to cook dinner for the family... i only have around 350 calories left for today. Who can tell me what to make for dinner!?

Replies

• becomingsara
    Options
    I just had spaghetti with chicken pasta sauce:

1/2 box barilla angel hair
    1 jar ragu robusto
    8 chicken tenders (grilled then chopped and put into the sauce)

one serving is about 320 (about 1/2 c sauce and 1 cup noodles)
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just had 2 cups of homemade chili with beans @ 275 calories. I keep it around the house during cold weather.

1 lb hamburger browned
    1 small onion chopped and browned with hamburger
    mix 1 packet chili seasoning
    add 1 can diced tomatoes
    add 1 can tomato sauce
    add 1 can chili beans

let simmer for about 15 minutes

add 1/2 cup shredded cheese for added protein if desired
  • carlysmama
    Options
    I am new to the MFP group and have a question but don't know where to ask it. Hopefully someone here can answer for me. I made dinner and it was a premade (by me) mexican chicken casserole and I don't know how to log it in on my "dinner". I don't remember every ingredient that was put in it as I made it several months ago (and froze it lol). I have over 2,000 that need to be eaten today so I'm pretty sure I'm ok I just wondered for the future.
  • navs52
    navs52 Posts: 40
    Options
    I just had 2 cups of homemade chili with beans @ 275 calories. I keep it around the house during cold weather.

1 lb hamburger browned
    1 small onion chopped and browned with hamburger
    mix 1 packet chili seasoning
    add 1 can diced tomatoes
    add 1 can tomato sauce
    add 1 can chili beans

let simmer for about 15 minutes

add 1/2 cup shredded cheese for added protein if desired

ooohh hold that cheese it crazy how quick the cal's run up with cheese....and the crackers if you add them to chili. Cooking a huge batch of chili and eating it for 3-4 days straight just won't be the same for me this winter :)
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Since you said "for the future" - this is what I've been doing.

When I prepare a casserole or baked dish, I note all ingredients then look up the calories, sat fat, trans fat, carbs, sodium, etc. online. I keep a running total of each. I divide those totals by the number of desired servings, and then log the numbers into my foods at MFP. After baking, I freeze the leftovers in single serving sizes. The next time we eat that meal, it's already in the database ready for me to log. The hardest part of all of this is remembering what I called the dish!!!

When I find a recipe online that has the information already provided, I celebrate! I bookmark the recipe, and then log the info into my foods so it will be there when I prepare that particular recipe.

Would be neat if there was some way to "import" all this information directly into the my food database.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I am new to the MFP group and have a question but don't know where to ask it. Hopefully someone here can answer for me. I made dinner and it was a premade (by me) mexican chicken casserole and I don't know how to log it in on my "dinner". I don't remember every ingredient that was put in it as I made it several months ago (and froze it lol). I have over 2,000 that need to be eaten today so I'm pretty sure I'm ok I just wondered for the future.

Next time you make a dish you can enter in the "Recipes" tab and it will calculate your calories per serving.

For a quick meal around 350- I like shrimp and spinach enchiladas.
    You get 2 for about 350 cals

Season shrimp with lime, cayenne, cumin, garlic powder and a pinch of oregano
    Heat a nonstick skillet with nonstick spray saute diced onions and a jalapeno
    when the onion starts to turn clear add the shrimp (lime juice and all)
    Just as the shrimp start to curl add frozen spinach and continue to saute until the shrimp are all pink and the spinach is warm
    Remove from the pan and set aside
    In the skillet heat corn tortillas until bendy.
    In each tortilla you put some spinach about 5 shrimp and a light sprinkle of grated part skim mozzarella
    Line them up in a baking dish crease down
    Drizzle with green chile enchilada sauce (DO NOT SOAK)
    Sprinkle with another bit of cheese (take it easy on the cheese as it's heavy on the cals part skim mozz is about 80 cals for 1/3 cup)
    Broil this whole mess until the cheese is melty and bubbly

Serve with salsa verde and enjoy! It's almost like cheating!
    :drinker:
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    some of these sound really good!
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I make a vegetable soup, which usually has about 200ish calories for a bowl-full (very filling). You can add some shrimp, beans, soybeans or cut up chicken sausage, which would add 100-200 (depending on how much and what) for protein.

I just start with a big pot and throw in chopped up onions, celery and carrots. Then I throw in any vegetable (even from the freezer) that I have (peppers, spinach, mushrooms, kale) and get them all soft and smelling yummy. Then some chicken or vegetable broth and tomato paste (if you like tomato based soups). Salt, pepper, any herb or spice to taste. Soup comes out hearty if you don't put too much broth, so it's really filling.

I like soup because you can be very creative with different flavors and veggies. I make a big pot of it that will last me about 4 dinners and I change it up by what add-ins I choose.

Good luck!
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    My new favorite recipe:

Sear four chicken breasts, then pour 1/2 cup of broth (or water) over. Add two apples, any variety, sliced and cored. Cover and cook.

Mix 1/2 cup of apple cider, 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of corn starch, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of mustard. Cook in a saucepan until thick.

Place chicken breast and apples on plate, and pour sauce over.

DELICIOUS! :) And about 175 calories per chicken breast.
  • mommacarrie423
    Options
    Great ideas all!! I ended up making a recipe that my cousin told me about, very simple:
    I used Ronzoni Smart Taste Penne Rigate (any pasta will do, but this is lo cal and fortified with other nutrients)
    then added kraft fat free shredded cheese, chopped grape tomatoes, and cucumbers.

1 cup cooked pasta
    2/3 cup chopped cucumber
    1/3 cup grape tomatoes
    and 1/4 cup cheese

total: 266 calories :)
  • ShellyRath
    Options
    I am obsessed with Rocco Dispirito's cookbook...."Now eat this". He has taken high calorie meals and turned them into tasty low calorie versions. Nothing over 350 calories per serving. I have loved everything I have made. Trying the cheesy enchiladas tonight.
    :happy: