Weight Loss for Seniors

Options
Hello, All!

I've been reading here lately to research on diet plans for my blog, and I feel like I've learned a lot, so thanks.

I like how you support each other.

My blog is completely un-related to weight loss, but we write for the 50+ and the elderly especially, and a lot of requests came for tips on how to lose weight when you're not so young and what works etc.

I like doing my research properly before I post something, this time I want to do something really good. So, we're doing a little survey and I decided to post here as well.

I know there are a lot of people in the process here, and many who tried and succeeded, or failed. You can really help me out with no more than 2-3 minutes of your time.

You can see the survey at: savtoosh.com/diet-survey

My intentions are really good. I'm not here to spam you guys, and I won't just drop this message and go.

I'll come back here every day to see if there's something new. I will answer questions, that's what I do :-)

To the moderators- if I did something wrong, please let me know. You know my email and you can also post here, I'll come back as soon as there's a message.

I'd hate to see this thread deleted because I really value this place and the people here. I'll do whatever you ask.

I'm really not in my comfort zone here, but I'm trying to do something good for my audience, I'll really appreciate your cooperation. Thanks.

BTW - if you have any tips that can help me with my research, please post them here. I'd love to see a discussion going on tips and diet plans that are good for the 50, 60 and 70 years old.

If you have something but it's private, or you don't want to share it publicly, I'm open to PMs.

Waiting for you input.

Thanks,
Gianna.

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 yrs old so I thought I'd help you out and take the survey but I shortly gave up. Your survey assumes that i'm on some planned/controlled diet with a specific weight-loss goal. I did do Nutrisystem for a year but that was years ago, and now I'm not on any program diet.

What i'm really doing, and what this site recommends, is changing my lifestyle by eating healthier, eating less, and moving more. I couldn't get any further in your survey because I'm not on a program diet.

For instance, the questions go from "Which diet did you try?" to "How long have you been on this diet plan?". Well, I'm not on that diet plan anymore so I'd really be sort of making things up from there on.

I'd suggest re-writing your questions to allow for more flexibility in that area.
  • savtoosh
    Options
    Hi, @icimani!

First, thank you for at least trying to do the survey. And thank you for your input. I didn't realize until now that there may be people who are not following any specific diet regimen. I'll see what adjustments I can make to the survey.

Also, you mentioned you're "moving more." Can I just ask what sort of activities you're doing, what exercises, if any? I found out as you grow older, the exercise options tend to limit itself as well.

Have you any thoughts on that?
  • icimani
    Options
    stationary bicycle
    treadmill when the weather is bad
    walking outside when weather permits (this past summer I worked up to 6 miles)
    swimming
    Wii tennis
    Wii Fit

walking, walking walking. I don't want to lose mobility!
    I probably will never be able to run - I had both knees replace 2 years ago.

Good luck!
  • savtoosh
    Options
    "I probably will never be able to run - I had both knees replace 2 years ago. "

Wow. That must've been tough. Glad to hear you're still able to walk, walk, walk, @icimani.

You're eating less and moving more (really looks like more from the list you have there). Have you sacrificed any food groups for that? I mean I know a lot of people are going for low carb these days.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and second what icimani said with both eating and movement. I am type 2 diabetic and a survivor of open heart surgery with sternotomy to repair a congenital heart valve defect (2011). I am currently at 85 lbs lost with 5 lbs. to goal. I was obese for almost 30 years.

Beginning Sept. 1, 2012 I changed what and how I eat as well as how I THINK about food.

I'm a firm believer in moderation - balance. So I haven't really given up any food groups. I eat a nice balance of carbs, proteins, and fats. Each of these provides something my body needs: carbs provide energy and fiber, protein is important for my muscles and helps keep my blood sugar levels from spiking, and healthy fats like olive oil and nuts are important for good health. I make sure to have 2-3 servings of fruit per day and 2-6 servings of vegetables. The foods I generally avoid are juices (pure sugar even if it's from fruit), white sugar foods, white flour, white rice, white pasta, and processed foods like chips, cookies, crackers, Chex Mix, and candies. The processed foods, even in small amounts, make me crave more processed foods. And they also give me higher blood sugar spike and fasting blood glucose levels.

The thing is, I had to learn that I could cut the processed foods. I had to learn that fruit is really yummy and just as good as M&Ms. I had to change my thinking about what was a good serving size for me. I had to learn to make good food choices. It became to me all about my health - was what I was putting in my mouth best for my health?

After heart surgery I did cardiac rehab with a number of "older" heart patients. Rehab consisted of 40-60 minutes of cardio and 15-20 minutes of weight training. Since Sept 1, 2012 my favorite thing to do is walk the neighborhood. It's hilly and gives me a good workout. I also go to the gym a couple of times a week and do weights. If it's too cold or hot, I'll do cardio at the gym - my favorite is the elliptical machine. It gives me a super workout.

By the way, you mentioned low carb. I have tried low carb, but have found that I don't do well when I cut out or severely limit any group of good foods. It wasn't sustainable for me. And it didn't feel healthy. I do limit them somewhat, but they contain fiber and nutrients that our bodies need.
  • wicksteve
    Options
    Hi Gianni:

I go along with the other commentary....we are taught here to make this our LIFE goal...eat less, move more and be ware of your meal and exercise planning. Since Oct. 2013, I have lost 22 lbs. I am a 66 year old female. I do NOT count calories (though I am conscious of curtailing high calorie foods); I count carbs. October 06, 2013, I was diagnosed as a Diabetic (NOT Pre-Diabetic) through a blood test required by my DR, who is an Endocrinologist specializing in Diabetes and Metabolic conditions. In looking over my history, he felt that with proper weight loss and meal planning, I would not have to take medication. I am doing my best to adhere to the instructions from him and my Diabetic Team that I have now acquired. I have tried for almost 15 years to lose weight and this has been an amazing and really easy approach. It works! The "Diet" as you call it (we call our meal/exercise "lifetime choice"), consists of 30 carbs at all main meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) and 15 carb snacks about two hours after min meals. Main meals are every four hours (works great for late risers, like me, also). I also watch sugar content, but the carbs cover it all...if you stay at 30 or 15 carbs at the proper given time. The only other instruction (besides testing my Blood Sugars daily) is to exercise 30 minutes a day for just five days. Two days you don't have to exercise, but after you do this for a few weeks you can't help but do something in the line of exercise every day. Once in a while I really do nothing except read or play. I have several afflictions: Arthritis (esp. in my hands) and Fibromyalgia, so I pain or stiffen up daily. I do not baby it, but I am slower those days but I still 'move' and do what I have to do. My exercises: walk, walk, walk!!!! Stationary bike, treadmill sometimes, light aerobics and stretching, water exercises in my hot tub. Anything I can do for 30 mins, I do. If I hurt too much, I break down my 30 minutes in to several increments and get my 30 minutes that way. My Doctor wanted me to lose 18 pounds (10% body weight) by Dec.18 when I see him. I lost that and decided to go on and lose all I can to help me. I went on to lose 4 more pounds. My goal now is to lose another 21 pounds to be a perfect 138 pounds for my size frame. I have no doubt I will make it. The members here are like best friends. We all have the same goal to live a lifestyle that gives us health, hope, maintained weight, friendship, a lifetime standard of living and a happy attitude. Most of all, we are eager to help those carry out their goals. I hope this helps your survey.

Good Luck,
    Wick :drinker:
  • icimani
    Options
    I haven't cut out any food groups totally. I do try to avoid a lot of processed sugar like the donuts, cakes, etc. Not necessarily because it's processed sugar, but more because it's high in calories but low in any nutrition. Other than that I try to eat a balanced diet, heavy on the fruits and vegetables but I do eat meat. I do eat more chicken and fish these days, but I do love a good grilled steak! The biggest thing for me is portion size.

Probably the biggest thing for me is to limit the meals I eat out at a restaurant. I don't cut it out completely, but I definitely have to limit it because it's just too hard to stay within my calorie goals when eating out.

I also tend to eat every 4 hrs or so. I've found that it works for me, and keeps me from being so hungry that I'm reaching for the quickest thing I can find, which would tend to be something calories dense.
  • savtoosh
    Options
    That's a lot of pounds lost! How long did it take you to lose the weight, @cathylopez197?

I think you have it right about changing the way we THINK about food. A lot of times, really, dieting and weight loss have negative connotations. It seems to leave the impression that diet = bland and yucky food.

Did you find it hard imposing a limit on what you eat, though?
  • savtoosh
    Options
    Hi, @wicksteve! Thanks for replying.

You mentioned counting carbs vs counting calories. Would you care to enlighten me further?
  • savtoosh
    Options
    @icimani - my husband used to tell me that doughnuts are a food group by themselves. LOL. So I'd have to say I'm guilty of always having a box stashed in the fridge. You are quite right about it being low in nutrition so I'd have to find a way to wean the boys away from it.

Do you think your choice of dieting limited your lifestyle then? I mean, you mentioned eating out less. Was that something you enjoyed a lot of before? Is it hard to give it up now?
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and as you can see I have lost a lot of weight. Weight loss for seniors is no different than for anyone else. It might be a little slower, but the principles are the same. Eat less, move more. That being said, here is what I do. First, I have educated myself as much as I can about nutrition and exercise. Learning new things will not only help you succeed, but is great exercise for your brain, too. I have learned to eat healthy well balanced meals in right proportions. This is something that I plan to do for the rest of my life. I count calories and watch my carbs, fats, and protein to keep them where they should be. I also try to exercise most days of the week. I started out just walking. That was about three years ago. Now, I do a variety of things. I still walk, I also do various kinds of exercise DVD's, hula hoop, punch a punching bag, play ping pong, and I lift weights and do body weight exercises 2 or 3 times a week. I have recently tried jogging a little in hopes of eventually being able to run.
  • icimani
    Options
    Do you think your choice of dieting limited your lifestyle then? I mean, you mentioned eating out less. Was that something you enjoyed a lot of before? Is it hard to give it up now?

I still enjoy eating out with friends, but I try not to eat out alone anymore. Being single, eating out is a certainly a convenience because I don't have to prepare a meal but I've also found that eating out is mindless and, at least for now, I need to pay attention.

And I agree with cathylopez197. For those of us who've been overweight for most of our lives, we have to change the way we think about food - what's a good serving size and what are better choices.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest re-writing your questions to allow for more flexibility in that area.
    Spot on.

The survey makes a couple of assumptions that are wrong. :grumble:

1. The survey assumes every user is on specific diet plan rather than making lifestyle changes.
    2. The question, "Will you continue to try to lose weight?" assumes that the participant has failed in his/her efforts to lose weight.

Given that most diets fail perhaps it is appropriate to ask if they will keep trying.

Most MFP users tend to be against diets, cleanse/detoxing, fads, etc. Eat right, control your calories and get some exercise. Most importantly it's free advice that works.
  • Dilynn0424
    Options
    I posted in a different area without reading everything. So will try not to repeat… It sounds like you are working hard after the events that lead you to do Cardiac Rehab. I am 55 and had a cardiac event (stress-related Cardiomyopathy), which decreased my ejection fraction to 25 percent) on Nov 4th. New meds, rehab and diet have increased my numbers in 6 weeks. I also do Cardiac Rehab 3 times week. For me this was out of the blue. I am planning on going back to work first part of Jan. (RN for Home Hospice) so I am trying to learn and take advantage of the program offered to me. What things have you found to help you during your recovery period. Change is not easy and habits are hard to break.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    just in. You all are working so hard and show that it's never to late at any age. Love the hard work!