Stomach concerns

Options
Hi there,
I would like to start off by saying I understand we cannot spot reduce but I do have a question regarding my stomach.
It seems to be the first place I will gain weight is my lower tummy (some girls may call it the pouch) and as I work out I find it very hard to reduce this...I am currently trying to reduce my weight by over 50lbs so I know my stomach and other areas have alot of work to do but does anyone know why it seems this particular spot is the first that gains and it seems no matter what work I do it will always stay. I only ask for my concerns about having stomach fat and what I have read about how stomach fat can affect your body. I always feel like when I turn to the side in the mirror it pops out and again I am more concerned about the health aspect of why and how I can reduce it then how I physically look. I also have reduced how much I eat/changed what I eat (so that it is more fresh foods) and staying away from take out. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's mostly genetic. It's the last place I lose. I have a pooch even at a size 4. I'm working to lower my body fat percentage, and it's slowly coming a long, but that pooch is stubborn! Even when I was firmly in a 2 at 117 (Summer of 2012), I still had a bit of one. I am eating at a deficit, lifting heavy and crossing my fingers I get it gone this time!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is nothing you can beside a calorie deficit. First to gain is last to lose. I would recommend adding weight training for the fact you will retain muscle during your loss. Also, add protein to your diet to improve muscle loss. Take about 70% of your current weight and that is what you should get in grams of protein. Because if you want a flat tummy, it's not about how much you weigh but rather, what is your body composition make up.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing that when you lose it will be in the reverse order than it went on, which if the lower belly was first for you unfortunately it will be last. :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For most people, the belly is the very last to go...it is primary fat storage and it is dense and deep. It often takes a very long time to get to the point of having a flat stomach because when you get down to those last fat store you have to go very slowly in order to preserve your lean mass (otherwise you'll just keep losing weight but still have that flabby belly). Losing that last bit of belly requires a very small deficit and really you should start hitting the weight room...that's going to do more for you body composition than anything else.

Unfortunately, people often work for years at reducing that belly and body composition...there's no quick fix where that is concerned. I'm pretty trim everywhere except for my little spare tire...I'm chipping away at it slowly, but it is in fact, very, very slow.
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies everyone!
    I certainly want to start lifting...wasnt sure if considering I have alot of weight to loose if I should lift heavy right away but its worth trying and see how I do. Thank you all again!