Any Marathon Runners Out There?

Options
Howdy! I'm new, joined on a friends recommendation. I'm hoping to run a marathon in a year but I'm a beginner at this whole running thing. Anyone have any advice for me?

Replies

• amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    yaaaaay!!! I've run 4 half marathons and one full marathon. I used to hate running! I started in january of 2009 (i was running some before that but had surgery and had to start over) with like 1-2 miles per day--as slow as i wanted to go. Don't worry about speed, just distance. Then when i was able to work up to 4 miles a day 5 days a week i added a long day on saturdays. each week i would increase my long day and keep the other days the same. by may 1st i ran my first half marathon.

persistence is key. actually, persistence is all there is.
  • tbranch3634
    Options
    http://www.marathonrookie.com/marathon-training.html

Go to this website they have a 26 week training schedule, it is really awesome and something you can really achieve. I was running 30 miles a week in no time.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    amg is absolutely right about training (both approach and actual schedule). I started training at the beginning of the year and did a 10-mile run in may and a half-marathon Oct 2. My knees won't let me do a full one, but absolutely just start slow and build yourself up. timing means nothing - slowly add distance and once you get to your ideal distance, then and only then should you start thinking of time.
  • SaraEats
    Options
    Thanks! How long until you ran your first full marathon?
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to this site. I am in the process of training for my second mini. I jogged/walked my first in 3hrs and 6 minutes. Any advice would be great as I am determined to jog the whole thing this year. I am really struggling right now. I can power walk like crazy but when I go to jog I feel like my heart is going to pop out of my chest. My doc say thats normal and it will just take some getting use to. She say to really crank up the cardio and I will be ready to take off in no time. I am up to 4 miles in about an hour right now with frequent stops. Any help would be appreciated Thanks!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Speed DOES matter to some degree, but when you get out there for your long runs...don't concern yourself with speed.

Speed and hill workouts are pretty much crucial to any training (above a 5K) and that's really when you need to worry about attacking hills and getting your speed in.

Are you running at all right now? Looks like (from your profile you can run 5K) so slowly build up to 10K. I followed a 5K training plan and then a 10K training plan and right now I'm just seeing how far/fast I can run. I'm running a half in the spring and maybe a full in the fall.

Runner's World has lots of great resources - articles/shoe reviews/workouts/etc...so have a look around their site or subscribe to their magazine.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I am running my first marathon in 2 days! I am nervous, excited, and everything that comes along with it. I have only really been running since January, ran a half in April...we will see what Sunday brings!
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Hey rita =) glad to see your on here, also just added you.
    This sites pretty kool hope you like.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am running my first marathon in 2 days! I am nervous, excited, and everything that comes along with it. I have only really been running since January, ran a half in April...we will see what Sunday brings!

All the best with your marathon, keep us all posted! :flowerforyou:
  • jenocelot
    Options
    You can do this. I completed first marathon late October, and only started running nine months before. Read books on it; listen to your body, do the work, and have a great time!! It has been such a meaningful and fun experience for this LONER who had actual FRIENDS there to see me run: Running has led to time alone with my higher power, which has led to peace, which has made me smile a lot, and people notice that...It has been truly a life-changing experience. Got to love it or it wouldn't be.

oh -- 1st 5k was 2 months after even starting to run. Continued, and once I got to being able to do 6 - 10 miles, over next couple of months, decided marathon was the way to go, kinda crazy. Probl. smart to do it more in increments. !! Trained seriously for marathon July, Aug, Sept., most of Oct. about 4 months. Next one will make them 13 wks apart -- February. Make sure you have REST DAYS esp. depending on your age; I'm 47 and a full rest day at least once a wek (ok a bit of bicycling though) is important and is when your muscles repair/build. have fun!!
  • SaraEats
    Options
    You can do this. I completed first marathon late October, and only started running nine months before. Read books on it; listen to your body, do the work, and have a great time!! It has been such a meaningful and fun experience for this LONER who had actual FRIENDS there to see me run: Running has led to time alone with my higher power, which has led to peace, which has made me smile a lot, and people notice that...It has been truly a life-changing experience. Got to love it or it wouldn't be.

oh -- 1st 5k was 2 months into training. Trained seriously for marathon July, Aug, Sept., most of Oct. about 4 months. next one will make them 13 wks apart -- February. Make sure you have REST DAYS esp. depending on your age; I'm 47 and a full rest day at least once a wek (ok a bit of bicycling though) is important and is when your muscles repair/build. have fun!!

That's awesome! I do run some now and enjoy the time alone as well!
  • SaraEats
    Options
    Speed DOES matter to some degree, but when you get out there for your long runs...don't concern yourself with speed.

Speed and hill workouts are pretty much crucial to any training (above a 5K) and that's really when you need to worry about attacking hills and getting your speed in.

Are you running at all right now? Looks like (from your profile you can run 5K) so slowly build up to 10K. I followed a 5K training plan and then a 10K training plan and right now I'm just seeing how far/fast I can run. I'm running a half in the spring and maybe a full in the fall.

Runner's World has lots of great resources - articles/shoe reviews/workouts/etc...so have a look around their site or subscribe to their magazine.

I did run a 5K this past summer, it as awesome but since then I haven't been running as frequently, I've been concentrating more on yoga, but I'm trying to incorporate both into my routine. How long have you been running?
  • SaraEats
    Options

you can do it!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

I did run a 5K this past summer, it as awesome but since then I haven't been running as frequently, I've been concentrating more on yoga, but I'm trying to incorporate both into my routine. How long have you been running?

Yoga is great for runners - I used to not be a fan, but I've learned to love it. I've been running seriously since the end of February. I was a competitive runner back in high school but developed quite a few injuries and had to stop for a few years. I really was on a mission to be able to run again - so I did C25K starting on February 28th and have since run 6 5Ks, 1 8K, and 1 10K since. 4 more races this year and then I'll start 1/2 training in February. Good luck! It's certainly an addicting hobby:flowerforyou:
  • mdjdesros
    Options
    I have done 6 full marathons and several half marathons. I'm 6' and 200 lbs on a good day. I used the "Galloway Method" for my first couple races. Basically it teaches a run/walk technique. He has a website..www.jeffgalloway.com

By the way..I am a sloooow runner. My goal is just to keep under 5 hours each race. But hey..just doing it is a blast!!!
    Good Luck!!!
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    Thanks! How long until you ran your first full marathon?

I ran my first full marathon in november of 2009, so 10 months after i started running. Had I really thought about it though I probably could have run one by september, I just didn't realize I wanted to do one until late october so I signed up.

p.s. don't do that. give yourself at least 4 months to train for it (assuming you've worked up to a half marathon) because i still deal with small injuries from not giving myself enough time to train.
  • sexyjeans
    Options
    I have run 5 half-marathons, which have been plenty challenging. I have committed to a full marathon thru Team In Training in June 2011--to raise money for Leukemia and Lymphoma. Our training starts this weekend. I know it will be tough, but training with a group will definitely help. Great to have this site also...to exchange tips and support. Happy Running! :-)
  • blondiebrooke
    blondiebrooke Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! i have only done a small tri-athlon about 5 years ago now, i would love to finish a half either this year or next. Any ideas on how to start? I feel like i could definitely do a 5k but figure i should probably start out with a 10k or something? You all are awesome on here! I hope to be able to say i finished a marathon sooner than later!
  • txgem
    txgem Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a goal of running a half-marathon sometime this year. I had to lay off running for awhile due to injury but have started back up again slowly. I did the c25k to get started last summer. It helped get me going until I felt strong enough to go on my own. Good luck!