I went over by 600 calories yesterday!

Options
I've been doing so well eating around 1200 net and 500 cals per day for nearly 3 weeks but yesterday I ate McDonalds. A double cheeseburger and fries! Why did I have to eat the fries. Now I feel so ashamed. And I just ate cake but its ok as it was only a tiny cupcake but still I'm so disappointed I wiped out all the exercise I did and was still over by 600 calories. And I've got to go to a major party tomorrow. Tips would be appreciated. Sorry for the winy tone I'm just feeling very irate at work and its partly because my stomach feels really bloated and fat right now.

Replies

• mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Maybe you overate because you were hungry?

Please don't take offence but I did have a look at your food diary and you seem to be consuming a fair amount of fairly calorie dense foods. If you swapped some of these for something less calorie dense but with more bulk - like a yoghurt and/or a piece of fruit instead of a chocolate or two that may help you feel fuller and less likely to overindulge.

But there's no point beating yourself up about it now. It happened. It's over - start again tomorrow and maybe eat before you go to the party so your not tempted to eat too much there.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Going over one day should not harm all the results you have had so far. I would not be ashamed or hard on yourself about it. I was over 460 yesterday and I just move on.. Its not going to help getting frustrated or irate about going over, just make sure that you work you butt off the next day and move on!!
  • cookieshop
    Options
    go for a run, you will burn the calories and feel better. and remember, it is festive season right now so going a little over is ok :-)
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have had days I have gone over by 2000 calories. Just get right back on track and you wont notice it. Remember it take 3,500 calories to equal a pound. You may notice for a day or two an uptick on the scale but that would be the extra sodium and carbs holding on to water weight.

Dont be so hard on yourself. You need days like that. Just as long as you contain them.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    No worries, it's pretty much a wash since you were way under on Wednessday.

P.S. You're not supposed to aim to be 500 calories under your MFP daily calorie goal, you're supposed to aim to meet it or come as close as possible. A calorie deficit is already built in based on how many pounds per week you said you wanted to lose, and your general activity level (not including exercise) so trying to come in so far under that number means you're not fueling your body correctly with enough calorie or nutrients. Don't just aim to be skinny, aim to be healthy as well.

Take care
  • tuxedobob
    tuxedobob Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It might help to point out that the foods that are going to be the most filling with the least amount of calories are going to be the foods you should be eating anyway: lots of fruits and vegetables.

Think of it like this: 1 apple = 1 doughnut hole (Munchkin). Guess which one's going to make you feel fuller?

Some other things that might help.

1. Steamed vegetables are cheap on the calories. REALLY cheap. Like, a 1-pound bag (which is 5 servings) is under 150.
    2. There's nothing wrong with drinking water or diet sodas. Drinks can be a lot of calories and not much benefit.
    3. Eat *something* for breakfast. A banana, perhaps.
    4. Going over a day or two per week isn't going to hurt you, at least if it's a reasonable amount. Don't feel guilty about it; just write it off and focus on the next day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Food is not the enemy.
    It's just one day.
    Today is new. Treat it as such.
    Drink water.

Don't mind my profile pic of me shotgunning 14 mini cupcakes in <1min. It was a contest, and a 4000 calorie day. But I straightened up the next day and lived to tell my story and weigh 0.5lb less a week later.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    A cheeseburger!!! You must be joking?

So what? Never mind. Go under your limit another day then to make up for it
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positivity guys! And I do agree that my diet could improve but it has improved substantially from what it used to be. Lots of sweets and crisps. I'm trying to find a better balance whilst working on my food knowledge. It's very hard working in an office where everyones munching biscuits and chocolates all day!
    Finding out that a punnet of raspberries has only 30 calories filled me with joy!
    Thanks all - I had some sushi for lunch so I'm feeling much better now.
    x
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Please don't take offence but I did have a look at your food diary and you seem to be consuming a fair amount of fairly calorie dense foods. If you swapped some of these for something less calorie dense but with more bulk - like a yoghurt and/or a piece of fruit instead of a chocolate or two that may help you feel fuller and less likely to overindulge.

But there's no point beating yourself up about it now. It happened. It's over - start again tomorrow and maybe eat before you go to the party so your not tempted to eat too much there.

^THAT^
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you only go over by 600 calories one day in three weeks, you're kicking *kitten* pretty good. Don't freak out about going over once in awhile. That's a very unhealthy mindset.

Make sure you aren't eating too low.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day. You went over calories yesterday: big deal. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it in the grand scheme of things (just don't make a habit of it). Also, why not do some exercise to burn it off? You can easily burn 600 in an hour
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You went over by 600 one day, but within that week, you were under by 3000, if your exercise calories are accurate (although, 800+ calories is a hefty burn!).
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I agree... you also seem to have a lot of days where you're significantly under your calorie goal for the day, which can make it harder to avoid going over later! Some of those days appear to be because of high exercise calories (and your burns seem high, so it may be a good idea to only eat a portion of those), but I also saw at least one day under 1,000 total calories.

Focus on coming closer to your calorie goal rather than 500 under it. If you think that the calorie burns from exercise are too high, you can always manually lower them. If it helps- you can think of your calorie total as a weekly goal rather than a daily goal. Then one day over won't seem like such a big deal, as long as you're on track for the week! Keep with it, and don't stress about it :)
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    No worries, it's pretty much a wash since you were way under on Wednessday.

P.S. You're not supposed to aim to be 500 calories under your MFP daily calorie goal, you're supposed to aim to meet it or come as close as possible. A calorie deficit is already built in based on how many pounds per week you said you wanted to lose, and your general activity level (not including exercise) so trying to come in so far under that number means you're not fueling your body correctly with enough calorie or nutrients. Don't just aim to be skinny, aim to be healthy as well.

Take care

^This. Your goal, to lose weight, is 1200 calories. You don't need to be, and shouldn't be, 500 calories under. Otherwise, that's not eating 1200 NET calories (which is the food you eat normally, plus eating back any calories burned from exercise). However, I looked back a few days and it says that your daily goal has changed pretty much every day for the last week. Why is that? You started out at around 2,000 calories and are now at 1200 a day.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options

I didn't look at your diary. but I agree, "But there's no point beating yourself up about it now. It happened. It's over - start again"
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. don't feel bad. I ate a whole bag of Churros and then pizza hut last night so i know i blew my calories BIG TIME!!!! This is my first Christmas since my daddy passed and I have NEVER been an emotional eater but the closer it gets to christmas the more I'm eating. Sucks!:cry::sad:
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    600 calories is nothing. DO NOT worry about it. It will even out -- just be a bit stricter today and tomorrow.

To give you some perspective, I've often gone over by 2,500 calories!!!! Now that sux. So 600 is nothing. Today is a new day. You will be fine!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Not 0.17142857142857142857142857142857lbs!