The epic struggle of good beer

Options

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    another beer snob here. I make room in my calorie count for it. The bigger problem is I'm eating low carb- a couple good IPAs is my daily limit. I only drink beer on the weekend so I can kind of save up all week lol.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lb and have maintained for a year and a half. All while drinking a few beers a night. I just fit it in to my allowance. I homebrew too, so I understand the hook!

I am a bit worried about your use of the word "purging" though. Do you mean it in a sense of throwing up to remove the calories (which is VERY bad), or simply doing more exercise/eating at a greater deficit the next day?
  • richardheath
    Options
    Cant beat a nice pint of Kronenbourg 1664.

(Ew, all those horrible chemicals!!)

What horrible chemicals? H2O? CH3CH2OH? Some dextrins? A few esters?
  • richardheath
    Options
    Do you micro brew or do 5 gallon batches? One beer a week, unless you are giving most of it away will take you over a year to drink one 5 gallon batch. From one home brewer to another, you can drink you beer and still lose weight. You just need to make sure you either eat less that day or work out a little longer. I think beer smith has a feature that will let you calculate the caloric and nutritional value of recipes. I could be wrong since I do not own it myself though.

Caloric value, yes. Not a complete nutritional profile.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Eat less, drink more, be happy. lol
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    So one of the few me things I get to do it home brewing. I like to brew and share it with others. I just started winging my own recipes and am excited about it. Recently I brewed a batch (contential pilsner) and it is like a potato chip, you cant have one. Now drunkenness isnt the goal and doesnt happen, but I gained a lot of weight back since this batch is done. So to all my fellow beer lovers out there I have a idea and I am going to bounce it off of you.

Have beer once a week follow by a day of purging and increase exercise through out the week. Thoughts?

For those who are tempted to put "give up beer", don't. :)
    It's simple math. You just need to balance what you put in your mouth vs. what you burn off. I lost 50lbs and during that time I brewed (drank) several batches and got on a beer exploration kick to try all kinds of new exotic brews (tracked with UNTAPPD app). The toughest part is being completely honest with yourself; track every beer, track it accurately (home brews can be between 300-400cals), log your exercise accurately (HRM Accurate not MFP questimate) and regardless of hang over level... workout just as hard as normal. I used to work out extra hard the day before I knew I was going to go on a bender.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have not given up beer. I often add distance to my runs for the calories of a beer. Since I've lost all the weight I have, I don't need a lot of booze to get boozy anyways....
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's simple math. You just need to balance what you put in your mouth vs. what you burn off. I lost 50lbs and during that time I brewed (drank) several batches and got on a beer exploration kick to try all kinds of new exotic brews (tracked with UNTAPPD app). The toughest part is being completely honest with yourself; track every beer, track it accurately (home brews can be between 300-400cals), log your exercise accurately (HRM Accurate not MFP questimate) and regardless of hang over level... workout just as hard as normal. I used to work out extra hard the day before I knew I was going to go on a bender.

What is HRM vs. MFP?
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    cutting back on beer was pretty hard for me at first, but it has been worth it. Still like to drink occasionally a couple times a month, just gotta make room.
  • IPAkiller
    Options

What is HRM vs. MFP?

Using a heart rate monitor to accurately track calories burned vs. searching the MFP database that tells us 20 minutes of light housework burns 920 cals. The database is ok for general stuff, but if the OP really wants to know if he can have that 5th beer it's important the know the exact value of his workouts. I consider calories like currency.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options

What is HRM vs. MFP?

Using a heart rate monitor to accurately track calories burned vs. searching the MFP database that tells us 20 minutes of light housework burns 920 cals. The database is ok for general stuff, but if the OP really wants to know if he can have that 5th beer it's important the know the exact value of his workouts. I consider calories like currency.

OK, thanks. I've been wondering about the value of a heart rate monitor. I'm going to research that now.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This is a huge red flag for possibly a alcohol dependency concern. You are willing to eat less/purge/whatever just to have beer...sounds like you love beer more than yourself.

I don't think making your own home brew and wanting to enjoy makes you an alcoholic.

It makes you a beer loving human being in my books!

(not to make light of alcohol or any other addictions)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This is a huge red flag for possibly a alcohol dependency concern. You are willing to eat less/purge/whatever just to have beer...sounds like you love beer more than yourself.

I don't think making your own home brew and wanting to enjoy makes you an alcoholic.

guillaume-approves-o.gif

I LOL'd at that first post.
  • plkbplkb
    Options
    I always make room for great beer during the week. Enjoying great beer and not drinking to get drunk, is NOT a sign of an alcohol problem (for those commenting on that). If someone made something that tasted like my favorite IPAs without alcohol, I would still drink it. It is all about the taste. No different than people who eat junk food for the taste.

I do extra cardio on days that I know I will be drinking. Again, no different than making room for other food that is not perfect fuel.
  • sdbeachbum
    sdbeachbum Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    So one of the few me things I get to do it home brewing. I like to brew and share it with others. I just started winging my own recipes and am excited about it. Recently I brewed a batch (contential pilsner) and it is like a potato chip, you cant have one. Now drunkenness isnt the goal and doesnt happen, but I gained a lot of weight back since this batch is done. So to all my fellow beer lovers out there I have a idea and I am going to bounce it off of you.

Have beer once a week follow by a day of purging and increase exercise through out the week. Thoughts?

You sir, are genius. I'm in!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, did you say purging?

Drink enough and you'll purge even if you didn't want to. It's why I limit my intake after losing this much weight. The first time I had more than one after taking off the weight I had no idea how many more than one I could have (not many at all) and wound up purging all over the alley behind the bar.
  • richardheath
    Options

I don't think it was the fact that he homebrews that caused the red flag. At least I hope not! Although I do get that comment myself sometimes when I tell people I homebrew. I just ask them if that means everyone who likes to bake are therefore also gluttons? Just because you bake a cake, doesn't mean you are going to sit down and eat the whole thing in one sitting.

I think the red flag was the line from the OP "Have beer once a week follow by a day of purging and increase exercise through out the week."
  • SacrificeSufferSalvation
    Options
    I would like to thank everyone for the comments and advice. Please let me clarify a few things.

1) I do not get drunk. If I start to get buzzed I stop drinking until it goes away.

2) By purging I meant like a fast of lots of water and lighter food for the day. Salads and stuff I guess, didnt really have a plan.

3) Do not accuse me of drinking light beer, I wrote good beer for a reason.

So here is what I am getting from my fellow brew lovers. Continue to drink in the way I currently do, just less and keep track of how many I am drinking. Also up my cardio and lower my calories before I indulge.

AND for all you people who do not thinking brewing is healthy, I can carry a full carboy around my house like the worlds strongest man competition :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I love homebrewing! I think your method of limiting your beer intake is a great idea. I only brew a few 5 gallon batches a year, or else i'd just have too much beer around. It's great to brew a batch for events, like brewing a spiced ale in November to drink on Christmas, or brewing a Pumpkin Ale to bring to a halloween party.
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    I would like to thank everyone for the comments and advice. Please let me clarify a few things.

1) I do not get drunk. If I start to get buzzed I stop drinking until it goes away.

2) By purging I meant like a fast of lots of water and lighter food for the day. Salads and stuff I guess, didnt really have a plan.

3) Do not accuse me of drinking light beer, I wrote good beer for a reason.

So here is what I am getting from my fellow brew lovers. Continue to drink in the way I currently do, just less and keep track of how many I am drinking. Also up my cardio and lower my calories before I indulge.

AND for all you people who do not thinking brewing is healthy, I can carry a full carboy around my house like the worlds strongest man competition :)
    internet-high-five.jpeg