Getting back into it--calorie questions

Options
Hi guys!
I reached a point where I finally have to get back on track with tracking what I eat if I want to lose weight. I am a 5'3" woman and currently weighing in at 157. I would like to get down to 135. However, in my past experience the only way I can do this is by eating 1200 calories a day or less (not counting exercise calories)! And that makes me feel like I am starving. I did WW back in 2008/2009 and lost a ton of weight BUT I used all artificial sweeteners and starved myself to do so. I joined a gym this past July and I go 5 days a week. Do cardio for 30-60 minutes and then lift weights (heavy weights...I can current do squats at 115 :happy: The problem is that if I don't watch what I eat and stay within my calorie range, the weight just goes up and up and up. I "try" to eat as clean as possible but as long as I stay within the calorie range, I will have the occasional pizza and/or Chik Fil A. Then I seem to be okay.

My question is that I've seen on here is that people say that you need to eat more in order to loose weight. But whenever I input how many calories I should be eating, it comes out to 1200/1250 per day (w/o exercise calories). Am I doing something wrong? Should I be eating more? Cause there are times during the day when I feel hungry and can't wait to eat. I try to say that it isn't a diet but a lifestyle and that does help. But I am still confused a bit.

Thanks, Katie:smile:

Replies

• bama1momma
    bama1momma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was strictly eating 1,200 calories a day and lost weight slowing but mostly just in my face. I started eating whatever I wanted as long as it was under 60 carbs a meal (diabetic diet) and I lost a ton of weight and was never hungry. Don't starve yourself. You'll never lose weight that way. Don't give up though! You can do this!!! :)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How many pounds a week loss did you set it at? I am short and working on my last 15 pounds and I'm at 1350 to lose 0.5 pounds a week (I eat back my exercise calories so my gross is around 1600 most days).
  • klo1335
    Options
    I have it set to lose a pound a week. But going through MFP it has you eating back your fitness calories which puts me at 1500 per day because I exercise a ton in the mornings 6 days per week. I just need to stay away from the sweets too much. THey are my downfall this time of year.