Oh oh..

Options
Ok.. so I just started, I've just completed day 4 and I have gained almost a pound.. yeesh! I have lead a very sedentary lifestyle up to now so MFP calculated my caloric intake to be about 1480 calories. Soooo.. I am anywhere between 1300 - 1500 WITH exercise each day.. each day I have burned about 200 - 250 calories. I guess I should mention that I ate way more than that on a daily basis... What the heck.. is this normal??

Replies

• niknok28
    Options
    My bet would be on fluid. Are you weighing yourself in the morning only before you eat? Weights can fluctuate 5 lbs throughout the day.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are working out (and didn't before) your muscles may be experiencing small tears. The repair process includes fluid retention around the muscles to help provide cushion for them as they heal. this is a good thing, but it will show up as "gaining" weight on the scale. I just experienced this myself after a marathon weekend of remodeling (very heavy lifting, a significant workout for a 56 year old woman). So, I weighed in on Friday last week at 153 lbs. On Sunday I weighed 154.8 lbs. I ate the same as always and did a whole lot of really hard work. I ached from my toes to my scalp (literally). So, I just continued to do what I normally do during the week (except added another 8 hours of similar work on Tuesday when my counter top was delivered). I finally got up today and my weight had finally gone back down to 152.8. This usually happens each week for me because I work really hard on the weekends. I do cardio exercise usually during the week and I know I am burning fat, but the body has to have time to repair and the fluid retention around the muscles helps with that. a normal person can experience between 1 - 5 lbs of fluid retention when there is significant "tearing" of the muscles during a workout - this includes legs, thighs, arms, etc. It is just a part of the process. Just keep doing what you are doing. Remember - this isn't JUST about losing excess pounds - it is about becoming a healthier and happier person. Losing excess pounds is simply a bi-product of the JOURNEY!!

Vickie
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    Def. water weight. My weight will fluctuate throughout the day by a pound or two. Weigh yourself at the same time every time you weigh and try not to do it every day or you'll make yourself crazy! Taking your measurements once or twice a month can help too because it will show your progress when the scales playing tricks on you. Good luck!
  • NMay50
    NMay50 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Remember - this isn't JUST about losing excess pounds - it is about becoming a healthier and happier person. Losing excess pounds is simply a bi-product of the JOURNEY!!

I agree!!! A healthy lifestyle is a life long journey, one choice at a time.

Enjoy the journey :flowerforyou:
    Nancy
  • eylbrown
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I thought about the water weight.. it's just a tad bit discouraging to start this process (which is almost the hardest thing I've ever done it seems ) and to gain.. lol But I am in it for the journey, of that there's no doubt.. so I will perservere!!!! haha!!

Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!