Will a treadmill on the 2nd floor make too much noise?

Options
We're going to be getting a treadmill for the home - probably a Sole63. At the store, it seems like a very solid and quiet machine.

I am thinking about putting it upstairs because we have a spare bedroom that's all set up for cable tv. The other option is downstairs in the basement where there is a concrete floor, unfortunately there is no electric down there. I suppose I could run extension cords down each time I use it.

My concern for putting it upstairs is the potential noise level / vibration in the rest of the house. Most of the time I'll just be walking at 3.5 due to my back issues which prevent me from running. If my better half does run, it will probably be at a time I won't be home anyway.

Do you feel walking swiftly or light jogging on a treadmill placed in the upstairs part of the house will make too much racket for people relaxing / watching tv on the main level?

Thanks

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    My treadmill is in the living room and when I run on it and my husband is in the basement he says it's pretty loud but I typically run on it. I don't think it's that noisy when I walk though.

I personally wouldn't run extension cords when you want to use it unless they are the very heavy duty kind (ours is plugged into an extension cord however it's a heavy duty cord).

I don't know what to tell you. Put it in the upstairs room and deal with the noise?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on so many things, mainly the house itself. Mine never bothered anyone on the second floor but I didn't use it much, either.

Look at it this way... at a walk it'll probably be fine. And runs aren't going to last all that long, so let the downstairs folks turn up the tv or go take a walk or something. :smile:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Second floor treadmill is not optimal. If you have room in the basement, you should be able to wire it up for both treadmill and cable pretty easily.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    ended up moving mine to the basement. It was loud upstairs. Fortunately, I have a finished basement ....
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Lived in a huge rental house (3800sq ft) that had their "great room" upstairs. Had weights set, elliptical, equipment up on the 2nd floor. Never heard it. (Did hear tho the Blasted Stereo !! oopsie that was not very often) LOL However, the house was huge, a lot of empty air space between the main floor and upstairs. So depending on how big your house is....only you can determine that.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have a Sole and do both walk run. Quiet when walking, noisy when running. I say put it in your spare room. Why not be comfortable and less aggravated when you have to work out. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Depends on the construction and insulation of the house. If the house is relatively new, with decent soundproofing and insulation, it's fine. An older house, it could get noisy.
  • lulu150
    lulu150 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do have mine on the second floor and my family can hear it when I am on it, either running or walking. It is also the loudest in the room right below it so I would take this into consideration. I would also take into consideration when you are going to be using it and who will be home and up during this time. My family is usually asleep when I am on it or not home, so if they are up and home then they just have to deal with it as it is only for 30 to 60 minutes. :wink:
  • DaveP_Fit
    Options
    yes
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How easy (er...hard) is it to take apart a treadmill enough to fit it on a dolly and get it downstairs should the upstairs be too noisey
  • jables85
    jables85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the same reservations when I bought my treadmill. I live in what I would consider a flimsy, second story apartment. It seems awful loud and I'm not a very graceful runner but I've never had any complaints. I asked my downstairs neighbors and they haven't heard a peep. Also, my Mr. works nights and heads to bed just a few hours before I get up and use the treadmill. He sleeps right through it for the most part...white noise. I also agree with an earlier post...something to the effect of "it's only 30 - 60 minutes a day, being active and healthy is more important than being a little bothersome to others (unless you have a sleeping infant maybe!). I have lost 11 pounds since I got my treadmill...its really been a blessing this winter!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    How easy (er...hard) is it to take apart a treadmill enough to fit it on a dolly and get it downstairs should the upstairs be too noisey

It will depend on the make of the treadmill. My Livestrong comes apart relatively easily, but it's basically the motor / tread with a console that attaches at the base, so I can easily just remove the console and be left with two long and tall, but relatively thin, pieces to move.

Some manufacturers put owners manuals online, so you might be able to look at the manufacturer's site to figure out how easy or hard disassembly will be.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I haven't used my treadmill since I got an elliptical (sooooo quiet!) ... you might want to consider one instead, or do you already have one? If you're not training to run anyway and have health issues, the elliptical might be kinder to your joints/body. I feel like I get a better workout on the elliptical, but I never tried running on the treadmill either.

Just a thought.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If your concerned about noise then dont buy it. Not because they are loud. Its because if you worry about being loud, then your not gonna push yourself.