Question about portions??

Options
I am very good at knowing what to eat now, and how many times a day (about 5 or 6). What I'd like to know is portion control. How much of what should I be eating? I know half the plate is supposed to be vegetables and fruits (but I limit my fruits cz of the sugars), 25% protein, and 25% grains(or carbohydrates- but I try and stay away from this as well), but how big of a plate is it when we are talking about this??
Thanx in advance! :)

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Get a cake plate, lol, it resembles the plates of the early century before we were all obese. The plate that most people eat off of is actually the charger where each course was served on a separate appetizer sized plate. Remember, your stomach is the size of your fist.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Get a cake plate, lol, it resembles the plates of the early century before we were all obese. The plate that most people eat off of is actually the charger where each course was served on a separate appetizer sized plate.

you know youre right my grandma taught me how to set a table and you always put the dessert plate on top. I need to get more we only have 4
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    a cake plate??? lol! Whats the diameter on that? Seriously!? I know I'm crazy but I NEED to know! Haha
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The size of your portions will have a lot to do with your calorie goal for the day. You may want to pre-plan a day in your diary to see how everything fits for you.
  • Nancy33333
    Nancy33333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I asked my dietician to be much more specific with me about this, because I had the same question. Her reply was (for a 400 calorie meal--she was having me on 3 of those per day, plus one 100 calorie snack, plus one or two drinks) was 100 calories of veggies/fruits; 150 calories of protein; 150 calories of starch/carbohydrates. A little could be subtracted from these to provide for cooking and/or sauce. I've learned to do a lot of cooking just using a bit of water rather than any oil at all, and a teaspoon of oil when I'm seasoning things. I sometimes use a spray of oil (I bought a spray bottle to put oil into.) This all has been working well for me. It made it easier than the guesstimating of the plate for my everyday meal. It also allowed me to see what this looks like on a plate, for when I eat out and have to eyeball things.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Get a cake plate, lol, it resembles the plates of the early century before we were all obese. The plate that most people eat off of is actually the charger where each course was served on a separate appetizer sized plate. Remember, your stomach is the size of your fist.
    As long as it has cake on it.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about portions. The goal is to hit a number of calories for the day, and within that, macros. If you do that with one meal or 10 meals, it doesn't make any difference. Do what works for you.

Of course you will "fill up" faster without that many calories if you have some fruit and veggies. Protein also does a fantastic job of filling you up.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

what a load of crock(ery).

i eat most of my meals out of salad bowls as normal plates aren't big enough.

i eat 3 meals a day, plus dessert. the first two are pre training and include protein, fats and loads of vegies (4ish cups at least). the meal (and dessert) i have after training have protein, loads of vegies, some fruit but barely any fat.

it depends on the calorie dense-ness of your food. if you eat calorie dense foods, your portions will be smaller. if you eat foods that aren't as calorie dense, your portion will be bigger.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I suggest investing in a food scale (if you don't have one) and weighing everything out. In time (due to the repetition), you'll become a bit more familiar with portions.
  • ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that for me, portion control means weighing almost everything I eat. Suggest investing in a good scale that has both ounces and grams.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    are those cake plates what they give you at Boston Market?
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    hmm cake plates...plates made of cake.

:laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The size of your portions will have a lot to do with your calorie goal for the day. You may want to pre-plan a day in your diary to see how everything fits for you.

this... you can eat mars bars all day and lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit...
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing about "macros" a lot... What is that?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    WebM has a nice portion control guide (PDF)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/printable/wallet-portion-control-size-guide

Compares food to common everyday items.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing about "macros" a lot... What is that?

A macro is protein, fat, and carbs
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with plate size, todays plates are HUGE! A cake plate can help you to get used to what a normal meal should look like. I always liked what Dr. Phil said in order to avoid having to measure everything. Divide your plate in four; one quarter protein, one quarter starch, two quarters fruit/veggies. Portion size for meat should be the size of the palm of your hand (minus fingers), the rest is about 1/2 cup or what you can hold in your cupped hand. Mind you veggies like salad can probably be more if only to fill up.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use what is called a luncheon or salad plate for dinner, which is about 7". I find the dinner plate is just too huge for us, which is about 10". At breakfast and lunch I use a bread and butter plate, which is about 5".
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in a food scale.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use a 7" plate but also use a scale especially for meat or higher calorie items.