Suprising Activities that are Considered Exercise?

Options
I'm working on an article/blog post about surprising activities that are considered exercise. Since I've pretty much only done workout DVDs and a little gardening for my exercise I don't know what all is out there.

On your journey, what funny/surprising activities have you found to burn calories?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Everything burns calories. By virtue of being alive you burn calories. Now what you want to define as exercise is something else again.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hula hooping
    roller blading
    just came back from snowshoeing
    every day I try to find fun and new things to do!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    like mokey says everything you do burns calories since your body needs energy all the time for breathing, blinking, organs working, blood circulating et.

as for exercise, i define exercise as anything that either challenges or maintains my current fitness level.
  • eugovogue
    Options
    Cleaning the bathroom (or anything really)

One of the reasons housewives in the 40s, 50s, 60s were thinner than we are today as a society is because they were constantly looking after the house, lifting things up, vacuuming. It really does burn a lot of cals.
  • Mokey41
    Options

One of the reasons housewives in the 40s, 50s, 60s were thinner than we are today as a society is because they were constantly looking after the house, lifting things up, vacuuming. It really does burn a lot of cals.

And they didn't eat half their meals at fast food places or binge on bags of potato chips and junk. It was considered slovenly to be overweight back when I was growing up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    On your journey, what funny/surprising activities have you found to burn calories?

sleeping
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've read we actually spend more time now on housework, because the standards have changed. Who knows.

All activity can be considered 'exercise'. There are govt databases of calorie burns for everything from milking goats to changing light bulbs to sex.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Shaking my head at many a MFP thread/post.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

And they didn't eat half their meals at fast food places or binge on bags of potato chips and junk. It was considered slovenly to be overweight back when I was growing up.

also they were also doing things like taking diet pills, frequently skipping meals or doing a cottage cheese and grapefruit for breakfast and lunch diet. add to that women back then had far less of a wardrobe than we do now so there was more of an incentive to stay the size you started.
  • Mokey41
    Options

It's part of the endless search for more calories to eat without actually doing anything to earn them.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I have an entry in my exercise log for "thefeniks" That's my BF's user name. Doing him burns calories and should count as exercise, right? Riiiiiiiiiiight.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    "dusting - light effort"

1081.gif
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

I would say the TEF due to protein consumption. It's hard work.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    "dusting - light effort"

1081.gif

Women shouldn't do it. My forearms got SO bulky from dusting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It's part of the endless search for more calories to eat without actually doing anything to earn them.

it's for the people who want to say the burned some calroies and didn't train.

For some people "exercising" is enough.

I haven't "exercised" in years.

I train. I train very hard- i'ts important to me to be better than I was yesterday and to be on a progression forward.

Just mindlessly burning calories for the sake of burning calories isn't my thing- but it works for some people because it's better than doing nothing.

> playing with the dog
    > raking leaves
    > mowing the lawn
    > serious house cleaning (moving furniture- boxes)
    > moving
    > chasing my horse that got loose
    > jumping (horses)
    > riding a motorcycle aggressively- and no I don't' mean on the freeway- I mean like at a track.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Cooking/food prep - I have used this a few times when I've spent hours in the kitchen (baking or around Thanksgiving). I was not surprised that it burned calories, of course. I was surprised at what the database said it burned.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like playing paintball. Burns calories, its fun and being able to shoot my kiddos and husband is a huge stress reliever!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Corsets helped too! And were pretty sexy!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

This ^