any moms haveing hair loss after baby?

Options
I'm a nursing mother of a four month old and have noticed that I have been looseing alot of hair over the last month. I'm only 27 and at this rate I won't have any left soon. I know this doesn't have anything to do with weight loss but everyone on here has been so helpfull in the past. Any one else haveing this problem and what can I do about it?

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not the change of seasons? I always lose more hair this time of year.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I read a thread on this the other day. When you are preganant you grow a lot of extra hair due to hormones, extra vitamins (hopefully), etc. It's even sleeker and nicer too. But once you have the baby then that new hair falls out. It is just going back to how it was pre-baby. No balding! :)
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    are you on Progestine only (or whatever it's called) birth control (the kind they allow while breastfeeding)?

I lost HANDFULLS the entire time I was on it - about 6 months - then when i changed to regular BC it stopped right away.

PS, it was LONG hair, so it was not new hair growth from being preg.
    PPS, i read once that about 100 hairs a day is "average" normal hair loss - but it can vary in either direction. Those with thicker hair have more hairs in the "dead" stage (since it's basically a % of total hairs) so they will lose more. Longer hair also appears to be more hair since you might see it in a clump on a brush or in your hand, but it's all doubled up)
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My son just turned 3 and I am still losing my hair. I think its a little excessive. I don't know what to do about it either.
  • klcommon4
    klcommon4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did with all three of my kids..I had a small bald spot with the birth of my twins ..I was told it has alot to do with hormones. It will slow down and your hair will grow back!!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I am quite sure that its perfectly normal to be losing hair up to 6 months after having your baby. When you are pregnant, the change in your hormones keeps your body from losing it's normal amount of hair (I believe its something like 50 hairs a day???). Then when you have your baby, the change in your hormones again makes you lose the hair that you would have lost before. It can be a little scary, but when your hormones even out it should stop. And in a few months you won't be able to tell :) I had the same thing happen, and while it may make for some bad hair days from those hairs sticking up as they are growing back, it doesn't last forever :)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Yes, definitely! My kids are now 19 and 15, so be assured it won't last until you are bald. I was equally as worried while it was happening though!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I read a thread on this the other day. When you are preganant you grow a lot of extra hair due to hormones, extra vitamins (hopefully), etc. It's even sleeker and nicer too. But once you have the baby then that new hair falls out. It is just going back to how it was pre-baby. No balding! :)

Yes, when you are pregnant instead of loosing a few strands every day/week your scsalp holds onto it. Once the baby is born this extra hair starts to fall out again. As PP said, you wont go bald, promise!
  • Anna19911
    Options
    I am! My sons 5 months and my haird is coming out in clumps! I'm not to worried about it though.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    While pregnant, your body produces more elastin (sp?) which keeps you from shedding as much hair, and also makes your nails really shiny. Once you have the baby, your body will start going back to "normal" and shedding the hair it retained, plus going back into it's normal cycle.

I wouldn't worry at this point, but I personally had a hormonal change which made my hair much darker and thinner since having children. If you continue to see a change, there's a product called Nioxin that works great at helping keep your hair from getting too thin.

My hair got darker as well. I didn't realize this can happen, and just recently attributed it to pregnancy since a few other moms said the same thing. Weird.

The hair on my legs grew very, very slowly while pregnant. That was nice because I could barely reach my legs towards the end of twin pregnancy. Anyone know if this is normal?

As for the hair loss after being prego - what everyone else said. It's normal, its hormonal.
  • CORTNEY5
    CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Definitely normal to lose hair after having a baby!! Mine also got wavy/curly! Nothing to be alarmed about whatsoever! Your body goes through so may different changes, this is just one to add to the list!
  • js775219
    Options
    Hey if you're shedding, for any reason, garlic will clear that right up: they make garlic shampoos and conditioners, but if you're really bold, you can blend some garlic and add it to your products or take a garlic supplement! HTH!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Definitely normal to lose hair after having a baby!! Mine also got wavy/curly! Nothing to be alarmed about whatsoever! Your body goes through so may different changes, this is just one to add to the list!

Mine lost most of its curl :sad: I'm hoping maybe it will be opposite this time through! I liked it curly!
  • TristaVan
    TristaVan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm losing mine too. It's not in clumps but still more than usual.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    That is normal! My ex-wife was losing a ton after the birth of one of babies. Its a hormonal thing. Now her hair is thicker than ever.

Lucky woman. Us men lose hair and baby it ain't commin' back.

PS. just remembered. I went to the Doctor with my wife during her hair loss. The nurse pulled her hair back and showed her the hair growing in. So pull back your hair and look along the hair line for new growth.
  • HidyleDidyle
    Options
    Yes. With each of my children I stopped losing hair while pregnant and lost tons of it after. But now my kids are 4 & 5 and I'm not bald, so give it a few more months and it should go back to normal.
  • kidzpastorlynn
    Options
    My daughter-in-law loses a lot of hair with every baby & actually starts balding. Good news! It comes back in afterward.. till the next baby!
  • kidzpastorlynn
    Options
    @ soze Haha... that's funny and sad at the same time!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I took biotin , prenatals or a multivitamin, sea kelp and l-tyrosine. You can go to swanson online and check them out in detail. It took me a long time , i had my thyroid checked too and was borderline abnormal which the Dr. said was normal postpartum, I'm talkin' almost 2 years post partum and they knew it. So it does take quite a while. My last baby though, i got my hair back quicker with a boy. My daughter was my second and i swear she took all my beauty if i ever had any!!!! Good luck!!!!