can i become lean just lifting dumbbells?

Options
2»

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    "agree to disagree" is perfect for questions whose answers are subjective. Such as "is extreme moose tracks the most delicious kind of ice cream?" I say, "YES" and crazy people may say, "no"

BUT

In matters of science, the information isn't subjective. The twinkie diet PROVED that it is really, truly, the number of calories eaten that matters. ALLL of his health indicators were improved, and he lost the weight.

You really do not do any favors to newbies when you tell them things like brown rice and kale is the only way. It isn't true. And it's HIGHLY likely to create a situation where someone will just give up, rather than try to lead that extremely restrictive (and UNNECESSARY) lifestyle.

So knock it off.

edited to add: :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's more than deficit....if u eat only 1000 calories a day of donuts and workout and burn 1000, yes. ..U will be in a deficit. But u will look and feel like crap and probably die by age 50 from clogged arteries , congestive heart failure, u name it.

So yes, what u eat matters. There is a Bigger picture to this. Quality of life is important.
    U want ur insides to look as hot as the outside
    Jus sayin....

the problem with extreme arguments like this is that they don't account for the fact your body needs ALL the macros (you know ALL THREE of them)

if you ONLY eat doughnuts and get practically zero protein- you are absolutely feel like crap- but it is NOT from the sweet delicious baked confection. Why blame sweet baked confection deliciousness for a lack of protein!!!

You ARE right there is a bigger picture- it's called PROTEIN, FAT, CARBS.

and all the other pesky micro-nutrients you get from eating a variety of food.. you feel like crap because you ONLY eat one type of food. not because "the quality of food is crap"

that's just silly.

Oh honey, not feeling picked on, opinions are like -&$holes, everyone has one. We just have to agree to disagree....

All love and hugs
    but see here's the thing.

Clean food is an opinion.

You are entitled to think that it's better for your body to eat 'clean food'

you are not entitled to think- in the form of an opinion- that a calorie deficit is how you lose weight.

that is a stone cold hard fact. it's not an opinion. So you can argue till your blue in the face- but the reality is- calorie deficit is how you lose weight.

You may do better eating 'cleaner' less processed 'wholesome' foods- sure- because you are meeting your needs- quality of food is better so you have to eat less- supporting your dietary needs- but it isn't the cleanliness of the food- it's the deficit that is doing the work.

That being said I carefully wash both my pizza and ice cream before I eat them- soooooo they are both clean.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    "agree to disagree" is perfect for questions whose answers are subjective. Such as "is extreme moose tracks the most delicious kind of ice cream?" I say, "YES" and crazy people may say, "no"

BUT

In matters of science, the information isn't subjective. The twinkie diet PROVED that it is really, truly, the number of calories eaten that matters. ALLL of his health indicators were improved, and he lost the weight.

You really do not do any favors to newbies when you tell them things like brown rice and kale is the only way. It isn't true. And it's HIGHLY likely to create a situation where someone will just give up, rather than try to lead that extremely restrictive (and UNNECESSARY) lifestyle.

So knock it off.

edited to add: :flowerforyou:

I agree to agree. :flowerforyou:

It's like a hare krishna rally in here.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    U win....twinkes , fried fritters, ice cream with brownies for everyone!
    \o/

(I've never actually had Twinkies, I have to admit - some day I shall make the trip to mercan land and take a man-vs-food style tour - way before that program, I'd always thought to go over and do a load of dirt bike riding mixed in with fuelling it at appropriate places like 'the big texan' :) ).

Rather than 'agree to disagree', how about we present evidence backing up why we believe what we do?
    That way others can understand more about the situation.
    If something is being suggested as absolute - then only one side can be correct. I can have the 'opinion' that Alaska is doesn't really exist and is all a conspiracy theory to hide that there's Aliens inhabiting the ocean that's actually there. It wouldn't make my opinion useful factual information that could be presented as such.
  • Bluetoast
    Options
    I was just going to post looking for suggestions for workouts w small due bells when I read this thread. I just got a small set and for the winter, bc I know that I will not always get out to the gym.

Please keep those suggestions coming, I'm looking for videos or even just a list of exercises to follow. I know many of the moves but can't remember them all or what goes with what, if that. Ames sense (ie working the opposite muscles) Is there a poster or something out there.

Thanks
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Rather than 'agree to disagree', how about we present evidence backing up why we believe what we do?
    That way others can understand more about the situation.

YOU THERE>... YEAH YOU>...

get out of here with that logic- this is the interwebz- we make things up when we roll the yazzee things.

Seriously- no logic. that's not allowed here.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh, FFS!

I must offer my apologies and should remember where I am - that was a bit stupid of me, wasn't it!

:D
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post looking for suggestions for workouts w small due bells when I read this thread. I just got a small set and for the winter, bc I know that I will not always get out to the gym.

Please keep those suggestions coming, I'm looking for videos or even just a list of exercises to follow. I know many of the moves but can't remember them all or what goes with what, if that. Ames sense (ie working the opposite muscles) Is there a poster or something out there.

Thanks

I think it depends on your goals, current fitness/strength level, and what size dumbells you have. You could do a more endurance-based workout with lighter weights (a lot of the exercise videos are like this I think), or you could use weights that are heavy (for you) and do a strength-based workout. You could probably modify most popular beginners strength training programs to use with dumbells if they are heavy enough. You might want to search the forums or post another topic on specifically what you are interested in. Good luck! When you're a beginner, anything will benefit you. started out pretty much just waving dumbells around before I figured out what I was doing -- this website helped me a lot, it is a good explanation of the basics of a strength training program. 

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/